The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 September 2020, 01:17 PM   #1
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

1680 Red Sub Opinions

Hi All,

I'm considering this 1680 and am trying to figure out what, if anything, might've been done to it. I enjoy learning about this stuff, so I'd like to know why you think what you think.

To my amateur eye, the case doesn't appear overpolished. The sides of the case (not shown) are pretty well scratched, and the chamfers and lug holes appear crisp (no rounding/smoothness that suggest polishing). The bottom crown guard is a bit thinner than the top one, but I recall this is not uncommon even on original/unpolished pieces.

I'm not sure how to tell if the case was ever recut. I've looked a pics of supposedly unpolished watches to compare, and nothing obvious jumps out at me. But I don't have enough experience with these to be able to tell what to look for.

Below are lots of photos. The ones taken at an angle make it look like the lugs are different thicknesses, but that's just the angle. They look even to me when viewed straight-on.

I'd welcome any opinions and explanations. Thanks!

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Porsche544
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 16570
I’m not an expert by any means but the lugs are thin and uneven. I would suggest for you to keep looking for a better example. Tons of Red Subs out there to choose from.
Porsche544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 05:17 PM   #3
watchlovr
"TRF" Member

Well I think it looks great, although a straight on shot if the dial would be useful
watchlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 06:31 PM   #4
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
It is nearly 50 yr old
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 08:32 PM   #5
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

They are a tough audience here

What's the price? Its had a few polishes, lugs not too bad to me, lower crown guard and uneven/stained lumes caught my eye. Not the best, certainly not the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche544 View Post
I’m not an expert by any means but the lugs are thin and uneven. I would suggest for you to keep looking for a better example. Tons of Red Subs out there to choose from.

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2020, 10:52 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Most likely the case has been professionally refinished, which is why the chamfers are sharp and the brushed finish on top is pristine, but the lugs are noticeably thinned. Otherwise it looks quite appealing to me.
Old 20 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #7
subx
"TRF" Member

that case has been redone so it does jive with the rest of the patina, and would like to see pic straight from the back
Old 20 September 2020, 01:03 AM   #8
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nice-looking red Sub. Yes, it's been polished/refinished, but the case still looks thick and the crown guards still have that chunky look to them, not rounded as when the case is polished too much.

I think close-up, angled photos can be unkind to a case sometimes, and can be slightly misleading. I bet this Sub looks great in the flesh and on a bracelet.

And yes, the lugs/crown guards can be slightly uneven, even on unpolished examples. Tons of info about that online. Here's my 5512 from about 1973 (3.7 mil.) that I'm convinced has never been polished. See how the top crown guard is a little thicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5512 Close-TRF.jpg (279.1 KB, 221 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2020, 11:32 AM   #9
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks to all for your many helpful responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
Well I think it looks great, although a straight on shot if the dial would be useful
This is the straightest dial pic I have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Most likely the case has been professionally refinished, which is why the chamfers are sharp and the brushed finish on top is pristine, but the lugs are noticeably thinned. Otherwise it looks quite appealing to me.
I took a pic of what I am 99% sure is an unpolished 1680, and I superimposed that pic over the watch in question. Based upon that. I think those who say the lugs look a bit thin are right -- especially the tips of the lugs. Here's the comparison pic (red line is outline of the watch in question, black line is unpolished 1680 outline) -- biggest obvious difference is in the chamfer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by subx View Post
that case has been redone so it does jive with the rest of the patina, and would like to see pic straight from the back
Unfortunately the straightest pic of the back is the one I already posted. This is the only other pic I took that shows the back well:

Old 21 September 2020, 03:17 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
I took a pic of what I am 99% sure is an unpolished 1680, and I superimposed that pic over the watch in question. Based upon that. I think those who say the lugs look a bit thin are right -- especially the tips of the lugs.
Yes, as mentioned, this watch has definitely been polished/refinished. The question is how picky you are about that, and your budget.

Sure, you could find a better case out there, perhaps even unpolished, but get ready to open up your check book. And then on those examples, you'd need to evaluate the dial/hands, which are more important, of course.

I'd say this is a good-looking red Sub that is not over-polished, but that's subjective to a certain degree.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:11 AM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Sure, you could find a better case out there, perhaps even unpolished, but get ready to open up your check book.
I'd say this is a good-looking red Sub that is not over-polished
Agree. It's fine as long as the price is right. The case has been expertly detailed and is in good (not new) condition.

PS. Check book? What is this - the 1980s?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:45 AM   #12
benzng
"TRF" Member

as long as it tells good time, go for it :)
benzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:24 AM   #13
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Yes, as mentioned, this watch has definitely been polished/refinished. The question is how picky you are about that, and your budget.

Sure, you could find a better case out there, perhaps even unpolished, but get ready to open up your check book. And then on those examples, you'd need to evaluate the dial/hands, which are more important, of course.

I'd say this is a good-looking red Sub that is not over-polished, but that's subjective to a certain degree.
Thanks. Long story, but I'm not looking to buy that 1680 outright. Rather, I'm considering trading one 1680 (below) for that one I asked about earlier, if the one I asked about earlier is in better shape than the one below.

The one I currently have (below) and am considering trading away is slightly older (278xxxx), with a case/lugs that was definitely polished but probably not recut. Importantly, the dial has had some relume work done to the 4/5/6 markers, though it's very well done and hard to discern in person unless you charge up the lume on those markers. It's not obvious to most people at first glance. My current 1680 below also still has a Twinlock (not Triplock) crown. Here are pics of that current 1680 -- I'm curious if you and others think one 1680 is clearly more preferable than the other, or if it's a toss-up:

Here are links to the full-size versions of the images below:

https://i.imgur.com/8onYADW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sdz3JIY.jpg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DA8uOIO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wrAkN2k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/f9SrsDT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q1JgmyF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vuK2GAg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Sj87Ngj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tRMbmRA.jpg