The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 23 February 2012, 04:37 PM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Bvlgari Diagono Aria Professional GMT 42MM

Hi guys,

I've had this watch for a while now and I think it's time to post what I think about it, for those who are interested.

I actually acquired this watch off a trade, it's a 2008 version and it came with a rubber strap. The previous owner bought a brand new OEM bracelet just prior to the trade, and I actually prefer the steel (I just like steel in general). I traded a '98 Model Blue Rolex 16613, which I bought second hand for a pretty low price due to it's condition and after I had it serviced, it came back looking new. Unfortunately, I couldn't get myself to wear it because I found it too gold and blingy. So, I decided to sell it and then another guy came up and to sell this Bvlgari, which I remembered really liking from before, so I offered a trade and he agreed. Most people call me nuts for trading a classic bluesy but I'm not the type to just keep watches in the box to wear once in a blue-moon.

Anyway, here goes...

Design:

I really dig the design of this watch. It's very tough looking yet not out-of-this-world a' la Zenith Defy. It's still stylish but edgy. The bezel has 24 hour markings for the 3rd timezone, which reminds me a lot of a gear or cog that rotates counter clock-wise. It rotates firmly and reassuringly. Markings are engraved and painted.

Dial is very interesting to say the least. Predominantly grey or Anthracite with a brushed sun-ray type of finish for the "continents" and matte for the "sea" parts of the globe, along with vertical and horizontal lines or quadrants. Markers are large baton and there's a 12, all of which are raised with super luminova applied. There are 5 hands for timing, 24 hour hand and the date small display, where you can find the "chronometer" marking discretely printed. Red accents for the tip of the 24hour hand and the date hand adds just the right color to keep things interesting. The dial is surrounded by an additional 24 hour marking of silver (day time) and dark grey (night).

Controls make this look like a chronograph but the one's beside the crown are actually quick pushers for the hour hand, up and down. The lone pusher on the left is for the date.

The other notable design cue unique to Bvlgari is the oversized "hinge" connecting the band to the case. You can see this on a lot of their watches and I think it adds to the overall tough look of the watch. Hinge screws look very cool as well. Both stylish and functional at the same time.

The bracelet is another well thought-out element. Though it uses push pins, they're not the usual pins that are split, rather they're straight pins with a notch in the center (I suppose to secure it better). The thing I really like about the bracelet is how they brush finished the center differently from the sides. The center is brushed vertically, while the sides are brushed horizontally. This makes it catch light really nicely, adding contrast in an area where most manufacturers usually finish everything uniformly. It's a butterfly clasp that's very easy to open and close, yet is secure enough that it won't just open on it's own. I also find it very classy how they engraved Bvlgari in the clasp as well as inside. I definitely find this bracelet to be one of the best designed out there.

The case is predominantly brushed with some polished areas on the edges. Caseback is screw-down with the globe theme same as the dial. Again, the case is 42mm. Previous GMTs were 40mm.

Quality:

Quality-wise, I'd put this watch on par with whatever Breitling, Omega or Rolex have to offer. Craftsmanship seems flawless to me. Every element seems to be well thought-out. There's not a single thing on this watch that seems out of place. All the fittings are tight and I actually prefer the clasp to that of Omega. Crown screws in very smoothly as well, I don't feel that grinding sensation like I do with other watches.

Movement:

Movement is COSC certified and keeps excellent time. I personally don't time my watches since I don't have a winder and have to set them just prior to wearing them. But, I have used this watch for over a week on a daily basis and it's spot on (meaning it has the exact same time as my phone). Movement is ETA, I believe. I'll confirm when I get more details.

Price:

Again, I got this in a trade, which I do believe was fair. However, I did see this about 4 years ago in the Bvlgari boutique in HongKong and back then, I found it's price too expensive at about $6,500-7,500 (forgot what it was exactly, but it was in that range).

Currently, they're available in the $5-6,000 range. Still high, but I think more reasonable for what you're getting. Features-wise, and in terms of design and build, that price is just right, in my opinion. However, although the movement is very good, it's not in-house.

I used to have an Ebel BTR 1911 GMT which had an in-house movement which I got in the mid-3k range but I find the Bvlgari to be a level above that in terms of build quality and design. The Ebel had some annoying flaws that ultimately made me sell it. I actually lost a ton on resale with the Ebel. That said, I probably won't get as good a return from selling this Bvlgari vs. Rolex, Omega or Breitling, but it's still quite popular and I don't believe I will take too much of a dive.

Overall:

Definitely happy I made the trade. The watch was in mint condition when I got it and the style is versatile enough to be used in almost all situations. It's sporty and stylish and very functional. It's basically the only watch I wear when I go on trips.

I used to think of Bvlgari as fad watches, but this watch has definitely raised my opinion of them a thousand-fold. I now find them to be legit watch makers who make stylish, well-designed and, more importantly, well-made watches.

Admittedly, their Mid-Tier watches aren't doing so well in the marketplace due to significant competition from the more well known brands such as Rolex, but I honestly believe that you're getting what you pay for with them. But, what it means for us consumers is that we can probably get these watches at a big discount, which makes them all the more attractive in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

regards,

lorsban
Old 24 February 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
thank you so much for a detailed review Lorsban..that is sure a very handsome watch and one I didnt know about so I am very happy you have introduced a wonderful piece to all of us..I have always liked this styling of the Bulgaris and I additionally love the globe relief in the background with the added complication of GMT, which is my favourite complication

overall, a brilliant addition my friend..best health to you :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2012, 03:00 AM   #3
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I came back to see this thread again and it is an absolutely gorgeous watch my friend ..very very cool..thanks a lot for sharing :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Thanks asadtiger! Glad you liked the review! I like this watch a lot and I really like the direction Bvlgari is going with its Professional line of watches.

I will post more pics soon with the rubber strap.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2012, 01:44 PM   #5
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hey guys,

Decided to put sneakers on...

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/...227_110117.jpg

The articulated rubber strap is very well made. Again, I think Bvlgari was one of the pioneers of this type of strap design, starting with their base Diagono with a black bezel. Comfortable and easy to adjust, open. Though, I think this is better suited for people with larger wrists since I'm already in the last hole on mine (6.75" inch).

Black is a nice contrast and the exposed metal hinges add continuity.

Very different looking from the steel version but both are equally nice.
Old 27 February 2012, 02:35 PM   #6
signcarver
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Great pics and write-up. Both bracelets are awesome!
signcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2012, 03:45 PM   #7
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post
Great pics and write-up. Both bracelets are awesome!
Thanks signcarver!

I don't really like rubber but this is really growing on me. It's more sporty looking.
Old 28 February 2012, 12:18 AM   #8
eric23
"TRF" Member

Nice! Congrats!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 06:02 PM   #9
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
Nice! Congrats!
Thanks eric23!
Old 29 February 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
I really like the colour and the "sihuette" map on the dial, very nice watch. I have always wondered what it would like to see it in person, as I can't see to find one here. :)

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2012, 08:23 AM   #11
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I really like the colour and the "sihuette" map on the dial, very nice watch. I have always wondered what it would like to see it in person, as I can't see to find one here. :)
Thank you! The dial is really something else.

Are there no Bvlgari boutiques near by where you stay?
Old 1 March 2012, 06:10 PM   #12
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
I like it
Old 1 March 2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Yes we do have bvlgari boutiques but awkwardly it doesnt carey that model of yours..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Yes we do have bvlgari boutiques but awkwardly it doesnt carey that model of yours..
I guess they're not as popular over there. If you ask them they can probably special order one for you.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2012, 11:50 AM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice and gret review. Definitely one you just dont see a lot of! Enjoy....

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Awesome Bulgari!!! Nice review! Thanks.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2012, 10:23 PM   #17
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Thanks Submarino and Steelerfan!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2012, 04:27 PM   #18
nishant
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC NS Chrono GMT
thanks for the review sir.. well done
nishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2012, 12:50 AM   #19
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I like Bvlgari watches. That's nice. Their gold watches on rubber straps are stunning and some of the nicest looking watches one can buy.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 12:41 PM   #20
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant View Post
thanks for the review sir.. well done
Thanks for the kind words, nishant!

Old 12 March 2012, 12:45 PM   #21
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I like Bvlgari watches. That's nice. Their gold watches on rubber straps are stunning and some of the nicest looking watches one can buy.
I agree! Prior to Bvlgari, watches with rubber straps had a very "tool" or spartan look about them. But when Bvlgari came out with their rubber articulated straps, they made it look very stylish.

I like their gold models as well. Very well designed.

Old 16 March 2012, 03:34 AM   #22
kebabeater
"TRF" Member

Push buttons

Lovely watch.

Do you find that you accidently press the hour buttons on the side or are they quite tight?
kebabeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2012, 12:48 PM   #23
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebabeater View Post
Lovely watch.

Do you find that you accidently press the hour buttons on the side or are they quite tight?
Hi there! The pushers are actually secured by screw locks so no problem whatsoever. Same as a Daytona I guess.

Old 20 March 2012, 09:02 AM   #24
Luv2watches

Watch: On which day?
Gorgeous watch. I wish I could see the movement. Ive never heard of pushers for a GMT selection. What a great idea! Bravo on the acquisition.
Luv2watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2012, 01:33 PM   #25
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2watches View Post
Gorgeous watch. I wish I could see the movement. Ive never heard of pushers for a GMT selection. What a great idea! Bravo on the acquisition.
Thanks! I actually had another GMT with pushers, Ebel BTR 1911 GMT. Though the Ebel was setup differently: Top button sets the Date and bottom one sets the 24-hour hand. For Bulgari, it's counter-clockwise and clockwise for the pushers on the right and the left pusher is for the date. It's definitely quicker and less finicky to operate than having to extend the crown further or have to find the "in-between" setting.

Both follow the Chronograph aesthetic - which is nice if you like the look of chrono's but not the function.

Old 26 June 2013, 03:45 AM   #26
forpayz
"TRF" Member

Bumping this thread which is old,however, this review needs a heads up and appreciation.
Thank you, lorsban.
forpayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2013, 04:05 AM   #27
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
thanks for the good review!
The bracelet looks good and is well made, but I do wonder if it's confortable to wear? And as I am a bracelet kind of guy, it's quite important how it feels when wearing it. What do you think of it?
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2013, 01:58 PM   #28
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclocks View Post
thanks for the good review!
The bracelet looks good and is well made, but I do wonder if it's confortable to wear? And as I am a bracelet kind of guy, it's quite important how it feels when wearing it. What do you think of it?
Oops! Missed this haha!

The watch is heavy by itself. So it felt heavy even on rubber. Bracelet actually felt more comfy to wear than the rubber strap. For one thing, it's not so thick plus it has a half link for sizing.

That said, I think it had a very similar feel to my Breitling Superocean.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10 July 2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Cool watch and nicely detailed review. Thanks.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2013, 03:18 PM   #30
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
You are ready for the horological press core. I loved this comment in particular, "I really dig the design of this watch. It's very tough looking yet not out-of-this-world a' la Zenith Defy. It's still stylish but edgy." You nailed the look of the watch with that statement. Just an interesting thoughtful review. Thank you.

I too really like the watch. Styling is very cool.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote