The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 29 February 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
MONTBLANC: Meisterstuck GMT Chrono.

Well I have always liked a Montblanc watch every now and then, but honestly, I couldn't justify their prices new (even with discount). Maybe it's just me, but I know some people would have a different opinion entirely, and I don't blame them. Their latest Nicolas Reuissec Chronographs collection is simply amazing, but priced amazingly too - which I feel, again, too much. It would've been an instant hit if it was priced at some Daytona or Portuguese price point.

But enough talk about their other models, today, I am going to discuss a Montblanc which I acquire recently. I am not exactly sure what the model reference is, since it came with no box or papers, so I am calling it by a more common name that you all may agree, the Meisterstuk GMT Chrono.

I got this preowned from an acquantance, for just a little over $1000 USD. Which I think is a pretty fair and generous price for a watch that retails around $4000 USD new.

As what I am calling it, this Montblance consists several neat features, it has the usual hour hands with a dauphine style with great white clean lume, a date feature on 3 o'clock, a GMT feature, and a chronograph feature. I think this is quite a complete watch.

Lets start with the dial and hands... The dial is glossy black with a wavy (soiree) pattern that starts from the 6 o'clock subdial, while the inner part of the 6 o'clock subdial has a sihuette of the montblanc star logo etched into it, which I think is a pretty neat thing. You can only see it at a certain angle as well by the way. The hand is nicely lumed, though doesn't last as long as other brands such as Panerai or Rolex, but it gives sufficient light to read in the dark. What's intriguing is that the small hour markers actually is lumed as well, very very small, but you can see tiny dots on the hour markers in the dark. This is a very nice detailed thing for Montblance to do, I mean they could easily get away with it without applying any lume, but they did, kudos to them. The GMT hand is a two straight skeleton hand, with a skeleton triagle red tip, which I think gives a nice colourful and bold touch to an otherwise monochrome dial. The subdials are aligned to the left, with the seconds subdial positioned at 9 o'clock with a smaller size against the chrono counter subdials. The writings are position on the right side. And then there's the inner bezel with the 24-hours GMT markers.

The number hour markers are quite large too, and appliqued silver colour, which glints playfully under the light, and I like it :). The font is a classique type, and adds to a dress watch aesthetic to the watch.

Overall the dial looks pretty packed, but in real life, I think it's well balanced, although some may disagree and dislike the dial for being too cluttered.

The case itself is pretty large for this watch, I think it measures 41mm, and very generous in size. It fits the bill as a large "dressy" watch these days, as compared to smaller sized ones such as 39 or 36 even. The size is I think just right for me, as a larger size would just look too much and a smaller size would look lady-ish for me.

Their lugs are nice and curved, and it gives the impression that the watch is "hugging" your wrist, which is a nice aesthetic. But I think from the side, the lugs looks a little bit too thick for this kind of watch, they could've trimmed it down a bit to a slimmer profile to make it a little bit more elegant. Right now it gives me a more rugged lugs impression. The crystal is coated with a blueish tint to it, while the movement crystal is uncoated I think, because I can't see any coating reflections. :D

The case is quite thick, but not that thick, I think it should still fit pretty well under your cuffs if you wonder.

The leather is very nice alligator with matte black colour, supple and thick, but soft on the wrist and easily fits. The butterfly clasp is just to my liking, a double folding, and quite thin in profile so it doesn't hurt my wrist! :D

The right side of the case features the two button chronograph pusher, and the onion shaped oversized crown that pulls out in two clicks. First click winding up sets the date, winding down sets the GMT hand, the second pull click sets the hour and minutes. The crown is pretty nice, it has the black and white Montblanc star inlaid into it, and is pretty large for the size of the watch, hence why I am calling it oversized. But it looks nice.

Also there's two sets of numbers engraved on it, just between the crown and pushers, that reads 48 and 10. I am not sure what those numbers mean, nor that I am too interested to find out, perhaps someone with a better knowledge will care to shed a light on it. :)

The left side of the case has a large engraving of the MEISTERSTUCK, it is deeply etched and has a diagonal engraving inside the letters, a quite detailed work, but I wonder if it's neccessary to incorporate that word there. It doesn't add or deduct anything from the overall aesthetics, but I'm just wondering why did they think of it in the first place. Besides that, theres nothing else to see.

The movement itself I think is a modified 7750 chronograph module. It has that unique "wobble" that made me guess so, I don't think other modules has that kind of wobble hhaha.. I think it's 7750's signature that easily gets noticed. I'm not sure of the beat, but "listening" to it, makes me guess it's running at 28,800 an hour, and it's accurate. I don't measure my watch to the seconds, but as it is still in line with my digital mobile phone clock, then it's good enough for me. The caseback is transparent which is a plus point, where you can see the movement play when you're bored, but mind you, it's not heavily decorated, so it doesn't make you go ooh and ahh about it, but it's good for a looksy and peeksy every now and then.

Overall, I think it's a nice watch for your daily work beater if you wear a shirt and office attire. It's definitely not something I would wear with a T-Shirt or Jeans (my opinion entirely), easily readable dial, has the date, GMT function, and chronograph. Nice watch to wear on business trip, work, going on site to time your production, etc etc. The movement is a nice realiable 7750 (correct me if I am wrong), that beats softly and accurately.

If there's anything I would change about this watch, it would be slimmer lugs, and perhaps a friendlier NEW pricepoint so that people would have easier access to it. As of right now, for that kind of price, many would prefer a preowned Panerai, any preowned Datejust, or IWC Pilot Chronos. But for a second hand 1000 USD price, I think it's worth the purhcase. :)

Thanks for reading guys!

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
wow, simply wow. I absolutely love this watch. If you ever sell it please keep me in mind and for a little more than 1k its a steal!!
Old 19 April 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
kifeter
"TRF" Member

Looks like its in excellent shape. I was looking at some of these recently and I just cant find one in good shape at the right price. Nice buy!
kifeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
charizzard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
You're so lucky at that amazing price!
charizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 10:37 PM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Congrats Norman.

Great review, thanks for sharing

Nice looking watch, sounds like you got it for a real good price.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 02:23 AM   #6
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
beautiful watch and a great review, thanks for the read
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Blueman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
Montblanc makes a beautiful timepiece - timeless styling (light pun intended.) However, you're spot on regarding price. Congratulations on a great find! TAB
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 12:39 AM   #8
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
Wow that's a beautiful piece. Amazing score at $1,000!
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 04:34 AM   #9
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by How View Post
Wow that's a beautiful piece. Amazing score at $1,000!
That about sums it up. I have always thought MB's styling was superb, but they haven't yet earned the cache to justify their MSRP prices. They need another 10 years or so, or better yet to find some major-league celebrity endorsement to get the respect factor up. (Think Djokovic, or Tebow, or Jeter, etc) I would have jumped on that piece at that price in a heartbeat.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 08:00 AM   #10
ColT32
"TRF" Member

Watch: TTDJ, ΩPO,
A beautiful watch, well done on the price!
I have been looking at Montblanc watches myself but I must agree with you on the MRSP issue.
Thanks for the review
ColT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2012, 08:22 AM   #11
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Nice score. Great review. Enjoy the watch.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 04:29 PM   #12
verali
"TRF" Member

i think the smart phone watch is really cool and fashionable.Nowadays there are various kinds of cell phones appear in the market and almost everyone owns a cell phone or more.However sometimes the cell phone can cause problems too especially in places where the phones are not allowed.To solve these similar problems, the cell phone jamming has been made to meet with people's requirement.
verali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2014, 05:21 AM   #13
wingku
"TRF" Member

Watch: the World unfold
That is a great price for this piece, well done, sir!
wingku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful watch!!!
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Frosty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Congrats Norman.

Great review, thanks for sharing

Nice looking watch, sounds like you got it for a real good price.
+1
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2014, 03:19 PM   #16
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
French watch with german writing, I thought they hated each other......oh wait....thats the british!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote