The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 February 2024, 08:44 PM   #91
Zsprings
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: England
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
What is the expectation here? Rolex 20% below retail through greys and AD stuffed with watches to buy at will?
Not exactly, but it would be great to just go to an AD and buy the model watch we want without having to wait more than a couple of weeks ! Discounted,.... of course!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2024, 09:08 PM   #92
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member
 
colonelpurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: London
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceriano View Post
Highly doubt it. They have a hard time selling their PM models at msrp with the current production rate. Imagine they make +1M high end pieces, they’d be sitting on pile of inventory. Rolex is geared towards upper middle class. Very few can shell out $100k+ for a watch.
Rolex will keep demand > supply by either pushing up prices or restricting supply. It is a private company, they can do whatever they want.

They will also try to up the focus on bi-metal and precious metal, where there is far more margin.

I read an interview with the had of Patek. He said they didn't make money from selling SS models. They only keep a few around for fans, but otherwise everything is going to precious metal. Obviously they are tiny compared to Rolex, but the sentiment is the same. The main difference is that Rolex sells enough watches to keep a margin for SS, and also knowing they are buoyed by enthusiasts who mostly like SS watches.
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 01:51 AM   #93
DVR4
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Grey dealer I have used before is charging 80-85% over retail for SS models of interest.
That is today. So, either they haven't bottomed or he didn't get the memo.
DVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 05:46 AM   #94
soxfan39
"TRF" Member
 
soxfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: los angeles
Watch: 5168G
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
Not exactly, but it would be great to just go to an AD and buy the model watch we want without having to wait more than a couple of weeks ! Discounted,.... of course!
No, actually it wouldn't be great because that would ultimately drive down prices. If Rolex is smart they will limit supply based on demand to keep prices and brand VALUE high.
__________________
PP 5168g
♛ 1680 red
♛ 126610LV
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 06:08 AM   #95
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member
 
Kevin of Larchmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Doghouse
Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Posts: 2,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan39 View Post
No, actually it wouldn't be great because that would ultimately drive down prices. If Rolex is smart they will limit supply based on demand to keep prices and brand VALUE high.
This, like Panerai didn’t do.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:57 AM   #96
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Washington
Watch: Cartier Panthere
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsprings View Post
Not exactly, but it would be great to just go to an AD and buy the model watch we want without having to wait more than a couple of weeks ! Discounted,.... of course!
__________________
Cartier Panthere ,Tudor GMT
Cartier Santos 100 XL ,Tudor 925
DJ 36 Pink Dial ,PAM Due Blue
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:08 AM   #97
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 295
Everyone keeps making comments about the Rolex market being tanked. Where, I’ll step up for any subs, GMT’S etc. for these rock bottom tanked prices that I don’t see anywhere. Sure, it’s not like it was when it was looney land but nothing is and that was a rare wild time that shouldn’t have happened.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:30 AM   #98
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member
 
TickTockChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Real Name: Chuck
Location: Canada
Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Posts: 2,196
You might want to read this article if you want to get a feel for the pulse of the Swiss Watch industry:
https://monochrome-watches.com/fhs-r...illion-francs/

Basically they had a pretty good year overall, however growth has slowed towards the end of the year. 2024 is expected to have some growth, albeit at a more modest pace due geopolitical and economic factors.

Interestingly the secondary market prices are declining, so maybe some normalization & balance ahead after so much hype, see following excerpt:

"An interesting barometer of the market dynamics, the secondary prices continue to contract. In this respect, Morgan Stanley reports that these were down 13% for 2023, compared to a decline of -9% in 2022 and an increase of +39% in 2021."

Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 10:51 PM   #99
JC316
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Real Name: JC
Location: Korea
Posts: 450
Discounts in the not too distant future.

Let's go!
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2024, 11:04 PM   #100
Chiboy
"TRF" Member
 
Chiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Watch: Daytona
Posts: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsleev View Post
Everyone keeps making comments about the Rolex market being tanked. Where, I’ll step up for any subs, GMT’S etc. for these rock bottom tanked prices that I don’t see anywhere. Sure, it’s not like it was when it was looney land but nothing is and that was a rare wild time that shouldn’t have happened.
I am just a casual observer of current prices, but did get into Moda to see "real" prices. I am similarly amazed at how if I go to the DSW or Than website, I see prices that for the most part are still way up there. Like SS Daytonas for mid 30s. But if I notice Moda prices for the same models, they are more like low to mid 20s. I guess my point is that gray advertised prices seem somewhat disconnected from the "real" market prices that watches are fetching these days.
__________________
Datejust w/black Tapestry dial (1985) / Daytona (2016)
Chiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:15 AM   #101
rushca01
"TRF" Member
 
rushca01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Indiana
Watch: GMT BLRO
Posts: 1,742
Whatever prices are in “moda” is vapor ware to me…I can’t get in nor even find the right “moda” group. So whatever pieces sell for there is irrelevant as buying at the AD, I can’t do either.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:33 AM   #102
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member
 
Mystro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Real Name: The Mystro ;)
Location: Central Pa.
Posts: 14,814
Moda is like going to a car auction.. Yea, you can find some stupid low prices on a super car but that doesn’t translate in to what the average market price really is at a dealership or even a private seller. There will always been rock bottom deal sniffers but very few of these bargains hunters are actually buying these deals they like to say is what the market price is.
In a way it’s used to influence the “idea” that these are the true market prices of what you should “expect” to pay for these cars or watches but it’s the difference between whole sale pricing and retail pricing. When you get a clone, rock, or watch with a story to save a few bucks is when reality hits hard.
Your BigMac only cost 41 cents to actually make so you’re a sucker to pay the $4. I’ll just hang outside McDonald’s and wait for a employee to sell me one out the back door for $2.
__________________
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyitq0aikqgajc0/Time%20sig.jpg?raw=1[/img]
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:41 AM   #103
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member
 
GGGMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Itinerant
Watch: 79010sg
Posts: 8,099
Moda


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 12:49 AM   #104
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member
 
Kevin of Larchmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The Doghouse
Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Posts: 2,902
As long as DSW and Than and other greys are selling watches at the prices they are advertising then their prices are “real”.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:42 AM   #105
jfmiii
"TRF" Member
 
jfmiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Posts: 1,401
Moda is like "wholesale plus." Not retail but not quite wholesale. To people saying it is a clown show in there, it isn't, by and large. I see many of the same TS on TRF selling into Moda. I've seen the same watch listed here and Moda by sellers. The price on Moda is always more attractive. The fact of the matter is, if you call a TS and ask for a watch that they dont have, they are likely going to ask for that watch in a chat that includes a bunch of sellers on Moda. It's like anything else...if you buy on Moda, do your due diligence on the seller but you are likely to pay much less than if buying from a guy like DSW.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 01:59 AM   #106
NYG1121
"TRF" Member
 
NYG1121's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NE
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I am just a casual observer of current prices, but did get into Moda to see "real" prices. I am similarly amazed at how if I go to the DSW or Than website, I see prices that for the most part are still way up there. Like SS Daytonas for mid 30s. But if I notice Moda prices for the same models, they are more like low to mid 20s. I guess my point is that gray advertised prices seem somewhat disconnected from the "real" market prices that watches are fetching these days.
They are still trying to maximize profits. Especially from those that are willing to sell at market lows. It used to be that the margins were actually quite thin so they had to move a lot of volume. The last few years changed that in my opinion and they are trying to hang on to it for as long as they can until people figure it out.
__________________
Instagram @awristcheck
NYG1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 02:49 AM   #107
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member
 
enjoythemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Real Name: Steven
Location: Glocal
Posts: 19,663
We'll probably hit bottom when Trolling gets even more prevalent here on TRF. It's seems we're getting close, yet note quite there yet imho.
__________________
__________________
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:21 AM   #108
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Odorious Onion
Watch: yes, it's hipster
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I didn’t know watches follow a seasonal trading range. Learned something new here today.
They don't follow a "seasonal" trading range like some equities do, but in fairness, watches' market prices mirror other hobbies' pricing. And those cycles can stretch in the years.
__________________
Here come dat boi Jerry
daOnlyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:28 AM   #109
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Moda


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I done a ton of deals on moda and made friends on it. What’s the problem in your mind?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:30 AM   #110
stockae92
"TRF" Member
 
stockae92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,887
I'll let you when I can get a SS Daytona at AD, with discount, and they actually treats me like I am the boss ...
__________________
135
├┼┼╕
246 R
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 08:34 AM   #111
justdate
"TRF" Member
 
justdate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Real Name: RJ
Location: UK Coast
Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Posts: 1,333
I personally expect them to fall significantly more over the coming months and years.

The whole market was fuelled by a mad hype to own the latest fashion item, a luxury watch, and to make a quick buck by flipping watches.

Fashions and fads pass fast. I expect in a few years to see very few active members on here with ‘20-‘22 registered accounts.

Next, the profit of flipping is almost entirely gone on most models as the brands maximise their profit, and greys pay low for watches.

As such the demand fuelling everything will disappear, and the watches will start to be available at retail more and more readily. This will force grey dealers to drop their prices or else they just won’t sell.

Just my view on your Q.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 09:31 AM   #112
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member
 
enjoythemusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Real Name: Steven
Location: Glocal
Posts: 19,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I'll let you when I can get a SS Daytona at AD, with discount, and they actually treats me like I am the boss ...
Don't forget the new Ferrari, am sure for you they'll set one aside immediately, and at a discount of course. Don't they know who you are?
__________________
__________________
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:06 AM   #113
jb335
2024 Pledge Member
 
jb335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The States
Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Posts: 6,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
Moda is like "wholesale plus." Not retail but not quite wholesale. To people saying it is a clown show in there, it isn't, by and large. I see many of the same TS on TRF selling into Moda. I've seen the same watch listed here and Moda by sellers. The price on Moda is always more attractive. The fact of the matter is, if you call a TS and ask for a watch that they dont have, they are likely going to ask for that watch in a chat that includes a bunch of sellers on Moda. It's like anything else...if you buy on Moda, do your due diligence on the seller but you are likely to pay much less than if buying from a guy like DSW.

Spot on.

Moda is wholesale plus and DavidSW is retail plus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:15 AM   #114
mannyv11
"TRF" Member
 
mannyv11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Real Name: Manny
Location: MA
Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Posts: 4,457
Like others have said. I’ve seen a few of the trusted sellers on moda buying and selling. Not sure what the big deal is.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:29 PM   #115
Vince_76
"TRF" Member
 
Vince_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
Moda is like "wholesale plus." Not retail but not quite wholesale. To people saying it is a clown show in there, it isn't, by and large. I see many of the same TS on TRF selling into Moda. I've seen the same watch listed here and Moda by sellers. The price on Moda is always more attractive. The fact of the matter is, if you call a TS and ask for a watch that they dont have, they are likely going to ask for that watch in a chat that includes a bunch of sellers on Moda. It's like anything else...if you buy on Moda, do your due diligence on the seller but you are likely to pay much less than if buying from a guy like DSW.
Echoing all of this. +1
__________________
AP 15500ST (Silver) // ♛ Rolex 126334 (Blue Roman, Fluted, Jubilee) // Ω Moonswatch (Mission to Pluto) // G-Shock GA2100-1A1
Vince_76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 07:56 PM   #116
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 370
Sorry for the watch trading unfamiliarity here, but is Moda Watch Club on FB the same thing as MODA?

Thanks.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 10:58 PM   #117
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member
 
GB-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Watch: addiction issues
Posts: 36,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post
Sorry for the watch trading unfamiliarity here, but is Moda Watch Club on FB the same thing as MODA?

Thanks.

Yeah. I mean it’s just a Facebook group for selling watches is all. Then there’s about 459 other tertiary groups they’ve created.
__________________
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:09 PM   #118
BraveBold
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: USA
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdate View Post
I personally expect them to fall significantly more over the coming months and years.

The whole market was fuelled by a mad hype to own the latest fashion item, a luxury watch, and to make a quick buck by flipping watches.

Fashions and fads pass fast. I expect in a few years to see very few active members on here with ‘20-‘22 registered accounts.

Next, the profit of flipping is almost entirely gone on most models as the brands maximise their profit, and greys pay low for watches.

As such the demand fuelling everything will disappear, and the watches will start to be available at retail more and more readily. This will force grey dealers to drop their prices or else they just won’t sell.

Just my view on your Q.
I joined the forum last year, “post-hype”… got my “hype” Rolex in 2019, pre-hype. It was already trading at a 50%++ premium to msrp at that time (SS Daytona). For context had been interested in and buying watches for perhaps 15 years prior to getting my first Rolex.

When I saw prices rocket I knew it wouldn’t last. I don’t actively trade in/out of my collectibles so didn’t sell any watches. Same with other things I collect.

I also didn’t add anything that fell into a “hype” category. I didn’t entirely stop buying but added nothing people were speculating on.

That speculative sub-segment fell back and is (in my view) fully corrected today. There will be some further easing but would be surprised it anything dramatic. I imagine depleted savings for big swaths of the population here in the US will eventually become a real drag (hasn’t happened) but I think for Rolex that hit has already been felt, along some other aspirational luxury goods.

The tricky part is that any further macro erosion will support central bank aggression with rate reductions - restarting the cycle. So while we may not be at absolute bottom today it is likely we’re a) not far off and b) as likely to be in a boom cycle again in 24 months from now.
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 11:39 PM   #119
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Real Name: H
Location: North Carolina
Watch: M99230B-0008
Posts: 5,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Moda is like going to a car auction.. Yea, you can find some stupid low prices on a super car but that doesn’t translate in to what the average market price really is at a dealership or even a private seller. There will always been rock bottom deal sniffers but very few of these bargains hunters are actually buying these deals they like to say is what the market price is.
In a way it’s used to influence the “idea” that these are the true market prices of what you should “expect” to pay for these cars or watches but it’s the difference between whole sale pricing and retail pricing. When you get a clone, rock, or watch with a story to save a few bucks is when reality hits hard.
Your BigMac only cost 41 cents to actually make so you’re a sucker to pay the $4. I’ll just hang outside McDonald’s and wait for a employee to sell me one out the back door for $2.
__________________
The King of Cool.
mountainjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 12:20 AM   #120
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Watch: Rolex and Patek
Posts: 10,680
Perhaps, when supply exceeds demand?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

OCWatches

DavidSW Watches

Bernard Watches

Takuya Watches

My Watch LLC


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2024, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.