The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 18 August 2020, 11:59 PM   #31
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good points. I agree.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 03:54 AM   #32
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Two Beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
The dial, the bracelet and case details, the accuracy and movement are step above Rolex for sure!

If GS follow the following principles, it will dominate
1- stop making a million limited editions
2- realize its price bracket that keeps it in the sweet spot. There MUST be at least $2+k price difference for not having the crown on a similar model
3- we have Toyota and Lexus (not grant Toyota) separating the name from “seiko” would bring more attention.
4- while it has beautiful cases, there need to be more case variations
5- finally develop a unique personality by creating more complications that are “seiko unique design”

IMHO GS is the best value and most bang for the buck! You get a heck of a watch with equal or better quality for a significantly less price than its Swiss competitor!!
Two beautiful examples of Grand Seiko! Nicely done sir.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 04:18 AM   #33
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

As much as i like Seiko, the finishing on my former sla033 and sla025 were a notch below. Just picked up a quartz GD SBGN009 and the quality IMHO seems like a step up even though it is a lower MSRP. The sla025 did seem like it was a bit better than the Willard but neither to me were anything to write home about. I think the diver grand Seiko bracelets are a bit clunky but don't mind their dressier line bracelets. having 2 0.6 size links is genius. I also felt the 116610 seems a lot sturdier than the older 16610.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:07 AM   #34
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
Appreciate all the replies. Pulled the trigger on an SLA033 today. Hopefully here on Wednesday, along with a hurricane or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 05:47 PM   #35
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
Appreciate all the replies. Pulled the trigger on an SLA033 today. Hopefully here on Wednesday, along with a hurricane or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool . Wishing you good luck with the two storms...
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #36
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes, seiko is better in most cases. Look I have Rolex and love them, but people are lying to themselves if they think the finishing on their sub is near the quality of the GS.

The stamped hands, flat dials, GS’s finishing is on par with PP. someone on the PP section posted some macro shots of a PP and GS and GS’s finishing was superior. Where Rolex May win is on how tough their watches are. I feel that many of the seiko divers have a very similar look to Rolex and do their styling has not always been the most original compared to Rolex.

I have to agree.

I own 2 Rolex, my wife owns 2 as well. No need to say they are awesome timepieces hence their success (and awesome marketing I guess).

Nevertheless my Snowflake not only stands the comparisons it is better. Only the bracelet maybe stands in between the one of my 16710 and the newest one of my SD4000. The clasp especially would benefit a little more engineering and “looks”. But anyways it will end up on a strap soon and there the clasp are A+.

Old 2 September 2020, 08:01 AM   #37
Gerry.GEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1 Mk2
SLA033 Capt. Willard.

Ok, I bought this for 25% less than retail from an original owner. At first, I thought who'd pay like $3K for this watch used?

Well, I have an older Sub and even if I had a new one this watch is the equal of a Rolex at twice the price. It's first-rate in every way. Fit/Finish is superb. The GS caliber is a real bonus and the fact that it was made in the GS factory doesn't surprise me at the attention to detail.

Great watch, worth every penny but it's also the type of watch that YOU have to enjoy because no one is going to recognize the watch except those of us who are a bit "off" on these things.

G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
I've caught the Seiko bug. I intend to pick up an SRP777, but the more I look the more I'm thinking of also grabbing something a little bit nicer.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to handle a higher-end Seiko or Grand Seiko, so I can't answer this question by visiting an AD. I've been told the quality of a Grand Seiko is at least as good as a Rolex. How about something like the SLA033? Specifically, how is the overall fit and finish, and how does the movement compare? Is a $4k Seiko really on par with a $9k Sub? I'm not suggesting that it should be, just curious if it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6105.1.small.jpg (51.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg SLA033.small.jpg (53.3 KB, 216 views)
Gerry.GEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:23 AM   #38
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I am a new happy owner of a Snowflake.

I am also lucky to own a 5 digits gmt master 2 (my first expensive watch) and a SD4k.

Rolex are obviously great watches. But quality, precision and details are on another level on the GS.

The bracelet of the GS is in between the 2 Rolex. Better than the GMT not as « crisp » as the SeaDweller.

My next purchase will most probably a dress GS.

I enjoy my watch collection very much. But the recent years hype and attention that the Rolex are getting is actually making me wearing them less.
Old 15 May 2021, 11:39 AM   #39
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Yes, seiko is better in most cases. Look I have Rolex and love them, but people are lying to themselves if they think the finishing on their sub is near the quality of the GS.

The stamped hands, flat dials, GS’s finishing is on par with PP. someone on the PP section posted some macro shots of a PP and GS and GS’s finishing was superior. Where Rolex May win is on how tough their watches are. I feel that many of the seiko divers have a very similar look to Rolex and do their styling has not always been the most original compared to Rolex.
Truer words have not been said.
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 01:05 AM   #40
Mifune
Banned

there really isn't a great comparison between the two, but BOTH PIECES offer something special.

At it's core, the Rolex is much more of a 'highend' good than the zero three three, but the Seiko is magnificent stylistically. The SLA033 has the vintage vibe down to the millimeter and the 'SLA' line is made in the Grand Seiko facilities (as opposed to the seiko watch factory) with all that that encompasses including the highest level of hand finishing.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 01:18 AM   #41
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I have been a Rolex lover for many years and have a nice little collection. I fell into Grand Seiko somewhat arbitrarily. To get my newest edition 228235 DD, I bundled it with a GS SBGK002, the beautiful Suki-Urushi dial model. This was not heat-of-the-moment decision, as I looked at the watch a month before. Never really paying attention to GS, I was somewhat surprised at the price tag. After doing some research, I had an entirely new appreciation of the watch and the brand in general. Understanding that used models of this particular watch sell for substantially less (60%) and there is even a new model on Chrono out of Japan for 75% of cost, I took the bundle with the DD at MSRP.

This watch is truly amazing up close, and knowing how the artisans (I won't call them simply watchmakers) put together such a fine piece, including the multiple straining of the lacquer, the painstaking application of the lacquer to the dial, the hand painted numerals, hour markers and even the GS logo (in platinum), and the amazing polish of the rose gold case. This isn't even delving into the spectacular movement (spring drive no less) with a power reserve equal to the new Rolexes. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to wear it as it is more akin to a masterful piece of art (to me) than simply a nice watch. I can't compare it to any of my Rolexes. Totally different. But I will never say that GS can't compete with the big boys.

I no longer consider Rolexes "tool watches" even though they can be. My true tool watches are a Seiko kintetic-drive that I bought for $200 (fully wound can stay running over 2 weeks!) and a solar Seiko which I bought for $250 which hasn't stopped running since I purchased it four years ago.
Old 20 May 2021, 03:25 AM   #42
Greglaw
Banned

I am late to the party, but have owned most sub variations from vintage to last generation of ceramic. I now have the SLA033 and a 3861 Speedmaster. My opinion is that i love this combination, and got my speedmaster brand new, and the SLA033 for just under 3k pre-owned in mint condition all papers, box, etc. As far as I am concerned the SLA033 is just as good as any sub/seadweller i have owned. I am not saying it s better, or worse, but, just as good. It is a different style and case, but, beautiful to look at and wears great. You cannot go wrong with it. What a value!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote