The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 August 2020, 12:41 PM   #91
martinr
"TRF" Member

2014-2016 when they were sitting in AD display cases. Here’s how things have changed. 5980 was hard for an AD to move. I got both 41K each. Sealed. MSRP was 51K. In 2016 I saw a 5711R in two different AD’s and there was very little interest in a gold nautilus. People used to say a nautilus should be steel. The white 5711 was made fun of. The dial looked like a garage door they said.
Old 20 August 2020, 12:47 PM   #92
martinr
"TRF" Member

My AD doesn’t laugh people out of his store either. Even now. What would the point of doing that be?
Old 20 August 2020, 01:31 PM   #93
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Econ 101 Supply and Demand

5711 not enough supply....Demand is through the roof! If someone asks to buy TWO 5711 from the same AD today, let’s see what he says about that?!? I’m sure they will think the person is ��

Different times call for different measures...

There are a lot more people interested in Patek sports watches and the supply has not caught up with demand. Even Thierry said himself that he will not increase production of Patek sports watches. They will not increase even with demand outpacing supply.

This notion that one should be free to flip their purchases because they OWN the watch and it’s theirs to do what they will with it is utterly ridiculous when looking at sports watches from Patek. If an AD sells you a sports Patek, usually it is due to your GOOD relationship with the AD. They will definitely NOT SELL to any Joe coming off the street even with thousands of dollar bills hanging out of their pockets. And most ADs will recognize that you have good intentions on keeping this “favor” and not flip it for profit. I’ve heard of some ADs keeping “certificates” in order to prevent the buyer from flipping watches!
Old 20 August 2020, 01:48 PM   #94
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Guess some of you have no idea what it takes to be an owner of a 5711 or other Patek sport watches bought from the AD and not grey. To be able to purchase at the AD takes a long term commitment and trust that the owner will not flip the watch after purchase. It is that relationship which all Patek owners appreciate. To those that don’t get it and think it is just a commodity piece...well, good luck with your pursuit for any Patek sports watches...

“Owning a 5711 is a privilege, not a right!”

A privilege and not a right? That's comes off pretty snobbish....

Personally, I would of offered to sell it back to my AD in return for another piece I might want from them. If a watch doesn't get wrist time it's time to go for me. I'm not going to let an AD or a brand dictate how long I need to keep a piece. I will offer it back to them only in return for another hard to get piece.

At the end of the day, its his right to do what he wishes with his property. And yes, watches are a commodity that people buy and sell.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 20 August 2020, 02:11 PM   #95
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
A privilege and not a right? That's comes off pretty snobbish....

Personally, I would of offered to sell it back to my AD in return for another piece I might want from them. If a watch doesn't get wrist time it's time to go for me. I'm not going to let an AD or a brand dictate how long I need to keep a piece. I will offer it back to them only in return for another hard to get piece.

At the end of the day, its his right to do what he wishes with his property. And yes, watches are a commodity that people buy and sell.
Haha...if you offered to sell back a 5711, I’m sure the AD will gladly buy it back at what you paid for it! They can resell it on the grey market for a lot more $$$
Old 20 August 2020, 02:15 PM   #96
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The AD made a bad mistake selling this guy the 5711.

This is EXACTLY why dealers behave the way they do with client lists and bundling.

The reason is that the 5711 is clearly an extremely limited and desirable reference, even back in 2018. Selling it to a dude who is not a previous customer and would more than likely NOT be a future customer (which he didn't buy another watch from the AD, proving that outcome) is a total waste of valuable resources.

You never want to sell product like the 5711 into a DEAD END. There very well may have been an opportunity cost to selling the 5711 to this DEAD END in that the watch would not be available to a large customer because it was completely wasted on this guy, then that BIG SPEND customer gets mad because he isn't being prioritized and off he goes with his HEAVY future spending.

Sure the guy in the video can sell it all he wants...but I think the wrong here was selling him the watch in the first place....it was = to throwing it away.

That's why when you pop in off the street with no purchase history and want the hot stuff, the answer will be NO.
Old 20 August 2020, 02:16 PM   #97
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Haha...if you offered to sell back a 5711, I’m sure the AD will gladly buy it back at what you paid for it! They can resell it on the grey market for a lot more $$$
Yup. Precisely my point as long as the AD gets me another hard to get piece i want at retail. I'm not in this hobby to make money, so that's fine with me. I just want what I want, just not willing to pay premiums for them.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 20 August 2020, 02:21 PM   #98
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Econ 101 Supply and Demand

5711 not enough supply....Demand is through the roof! If someone asks to buy TWO 5711 from the same AD today, let’s see what he says about that?!? I’m sure they will think the person is ��

Different times call for different measures...

There are a lot more people interested in Patek sports watches and the supply has not caught up with demand. Even Thierry said himself that he will not increase production of Patek sports watches. They will not increase even with demand outpacing supply.

This notion that one should be free to flip their purchases because they OWN the watch and it’s theirs to do what they will with it is utterly ridiculous when looking at sports watches from Patek. If an AD sells you a sports Patek, usually it is due to your GOOD relationship with the AD. They will definitely NOT SELL to any Joe coming off the street even with thousands of dollar bills hanging out of their pockets. And most ADs will recognize that you have good intentions on keeping this “favor” and not flip it for profit. I’ve heard of some ADs keeping “certificates” in order to prevent the buyer from flipping watches!
So if the owner isn’t free to flip his watch if he desires then does he really own it? And who do you think should be the one that decides? The watch police? What is utterly ridiculous in my opinion is your attitude about it. It seems to me that being considered “special” enough to be sold a watch is more important than the watch itself. And that’s why the demand is so much greater than the supply these days. People want to show off their “specialness” on Instagram or other social media. It’s about impressing people but not about the watch. That’s why people are so quick to mention they got it from an AD not a grey dealer. It’s proof of how special they are. Pretty laughable in my opinion.
Old 20 August 2020, 03:21 PM   #99
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
There is something about this guys story I just don’t believe.
Old 20 August 2020, 03:31 PM   #100
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
That’s only a part of it.

Many don’t “need” to sell the watch. But if they don’t like it, and they aren’t wearing it, it only makes sense to move it along. Especially if you can profit from it.
True fair enough I guess it’s a mix.
Old 20 August 2020, 03:34 PM   #101
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
So if the owner isn’t free to flip his watch if he desires then does he really own it? And who do you think should be the one that decides? The watch police? What is utterly ridiculous in my opinion is your attitude about it. It seems to me that being considered “special” enough to be sold a watch is more important than the watch itself. And that’s why the demand is so much greater than the supply these days. People want to show off their “specialness” on Instagram or other social media. It’s about impressing people but not about the watch. That’s why people are so quick to mention they got it from an AD not a grey dealer. It’s proof of how special they are. Pretty laughable in my opinion.
You just answered your own “question”. It is laughable but people still migrate towards the 5711 BECAUSE they want to wear it and “show off”!!

Then again...wearing one may attract thieves to come and break your arm off as well...
Old 20 August 2020, 03:37 PM   #102
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Clearly he kept it for 2 years and decided to sell for his own reasons. It’s not like he left the AD and sold it. The are a variety of reasons for that. He has many watches including a Datograph in his collection. I don’t think I can really say he can’t afford it.

My AD got me a BLNR a few months ago which I appreciated. I did not plan on selling it however I was recently offered a pepsi out of nowhere. Now I have two modern GMTs. I sit a crime if I decide to sell the BLNR now at its market value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idk maybe he can afford or not... I assumed he could not because his reasoning was to pay off credit card debt or spend it on other expenses.
Long story short it’s fine what he did and I can see both positions here but I feel these days the investment is more dominant part of the watch discussion than the actual watch itself ( we all know this of course)
Old 20 August 2020, 03:49 PM   #103
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You just answered your own “question”. It is laughable but people still migrate towards the 5711 BECAUSE they want to wear it and “show off”!!

Then again...wearing one may attract thieves to come and break your arm off as well...
What?
Closed Thread