The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2020, 07:44 PM   #31
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom02 View Post
Can you imagine anything more time wasting and annoying from a salespersons perspective then someone coming in not once but multiple times making pointless conversation, perhaps asking to look at other watches with no intention whatsoever to buy with the sole ambition of wanting to purchase the one watch they could literally sell 100X over.
I can imagine this exact scenario and it works extremely well. It depends what sort of an annoying numpty you are and whether you do actually have a genuine horological interest.

It's no different to popping in for a chat even when you don't want anything.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 08:25 PM   #32
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I can imagine this exact scenario and it works extremely well. It depends what sort of an annoying numpty you are and whether you do actually have a genuine horological interest.

Many people (especially if greeted and dealt with cordially by salesperson with some social awareness) are not able to recognise just how annoying they are.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:25 PM   #33
crack3rd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekwity View Post
It used to be like that, years ago. The 5711 is too hot now.
My AD who is the only AD in quite a large city on avg gets 1-3 blue 5711 a year.

Off topic but I know someone who spent 100k+ on jewelry in one visit from the AD and was offered a 5726. So it’s a bit more than just popping and saying hello every now and then. It’s just how it is now if you’re new to the brand

And no don’t buy pieces you don’t want just to get a piece you want, that’s why we have grey market.
Don’t spend more money just so you have to spend money

I’ve bought a watch from AD before and am still a small fish compared to others who want a 5711
Kevin o’Leary aka mr wonderful from shark tank waited 8 years for his and hes a billionaire
I don't think Kevin O'Leary really waited 8 years for the watch. I believe he had to say it to make the viewers believe that he had to "wait" for it. You can buy 5711 from the display case 8 years ago.
crack3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:26 PM   #34
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m sure giddy ADs everywhere are holding their breath to meet some of those those genuinely horologically interested people who coincidentally want 5711s and nothing else.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 10:41 PM   #35
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom02 View Post
Many people (especially if greeted and dealt with cordially by salesperson with some social awareness) are not able to recognise just how annoying they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
I’m sure giddy ADs everywhere are holding their breath to meet some of those those genuinely horologically interested people who coincidentally want 5711s and nothing else.
Well I can only say I am genuinely interested in virtually all watch brands and would never pass up the chance to look at something new and converse with a sales person about a piece. I've never had anything but a positive experience and genuinely don't think anyone has been annoyed by my interest in their product - this might be a one off visit to an AD whilst on holiday or a regular repeat visit to a local AD.
Old 4 August 2020, 10:42 PM   #36
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hahahah, agreed!
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2020, 11:10 PM   #37
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I can only say I am genuinely interested in virtually all watch brands and would never pass up the chance to look at something new and converse with a sales person about a piece. I've never had anything but a positive experience and genuinely don't think anyone has been annoyed by my interest in their product - this might be a one off visit to an AD whilst on holiday or a regular repeat visit to a local AD.
I don’t know if you are a nice chap to chat about watches with, you may very well be. I’m just saying that having a wallet and purchase history to match, makes said interest seem more genuine to ADs. Let’s not pretend that there’s no relevant differences between OP vs a guy who, based on the watches he posts on the forum, is unambiguously attractive to any dealer he encounters.

Someone who makes threads asking about tips and tricks on how to score a 5711 is not even playing the same sport as someone who gets allocated a 6007.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 12:35 AM   #38
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
That's a tough one on a super tough piece - spend history or a quid pro quo is the only way I'm thinking you'd get one of these pieces.
Watchflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #39
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t know if you are a nice chap to chat about watches with, you may very well be. I’m just saying that having a wallet and purchase history to match, makes said interest seem more genuine to ADs. Let’s not pretend that there’s no relevant differences between OP vs a guy who, based on the watches he posts on the forum, is unambiguously attractive to any dealer he encounters.

Someone who makes threads asking about tips and tricks on how to score a 5711 is not even playing the same sport as someone who gets allocated a 6007.
I'm a very nice chap and great to talk watches with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is easy and a wait (long) will be involved but when faced with a choice between someone who has registered an interest for a piece and then disappeared and a guy who wants the same piece but pops in regularly and shows real passion the AD will make only one choice if and when the piece actually materialises.
Old 5 August 2020, 12:55 PM   #40
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
I don't think this strategy could hurt you. It just may pay off. What do you have to lose?

I pop into my local Rolex and Patek AD every once in awhile and have formed a nice relationship with a couple sales people and GM's. I know there's a slight chance at getting the hottest pieces, but doesn't hurt to try.
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 04:10 PM   #41
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Are you a celebrity....??

If yes, then you have a chance......

If you a nobody then again.......

You got to ask yourself........

"Are you special....??"

Meaning what benefit the AD by putting you on the list or getting you a 5711.....

Why would a AD giving away a 5711 plus at least $20,000 in cash the minutes you walk off from the AD......

Come on..... Common sense....

Yes, the truth hurt.....

This is true, but laughed with how well you articulated it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:26 PM   #42
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Always the same boring threads...
Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #43
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Yes it helps, as long as you go in with your wallet out and willing to buy one or more in stock pieces of less desirable items.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
There was a time when being a potential long term customer landed you hot sports pieces right off the bat. Those days are mostly over. I built relationships buying nothing but sports pieces from Rolex, Patek and AP over the last 7-8 years. Until about 2-3 years ago the IG hype machines took off and the guy who collects sports watches is very low value
Old 10 August 2020, 04:10 AM   #45
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
There was a time when being a potential long term customer landed you hot sports pieces right off the bat. Those days are mostly over. I built relationships buying nothing but sports pieces from Rolex, Patek and AP over the last 7-8 years. Until about 2-3 years ago the IG hype machines took off and the guy who collects sports watches is very low value
My path too
I think the ship has sailed
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:23 AM   #46
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
My path too
I think the ship has sailed
It’s a crazy time we’re in. Seems like everything from the big 3 (PP, AP, Rolex) is going up. Been looking at DD40s and prices are almost retail prices with greys. ADs follow secondary prices and will probably price their discounts accordingly.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:11 PM   #47
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
It’s a crazy time we’re in. Seems like everything from the big 3 (PP, AP, Rolex) is going up. Been looking at DD40s and prices are almost retail prices with greys. ADs follow secondary prices and will probably price their discounts accordingly.
Don't grey dealers participate in the creation of all this hype? Do their stock is selling for what they advertise on Chrono 24 for example?
Old 10 August 2020, 08:24 PM   #48
HedgeHogger
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-PAM-GS-Ω-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco View Post
Don't grey dealers participate in the creation of all this hype? Do their stock is selling for what they advertise on Chrono 24 for example?
For hot pieces, like Rolex tool watches, my experience with Chrono 24 sellers (I filter by sellers in the US and EU and only offers that include the original box and papers) is that the price they ask is only very slightly negotiable, if at all. I've made offers of $500 less than asking on a $18K listing and had the offer rejected without even a counter offer.

I've not bought a Patek from Chrono24 though.
HedgeHogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:07 PM   #49
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch enthusiast447 View Post
Does stopping in at the AD on a monthly basis help your chances?
I'd argue that the COVID-19 pandemic has changed how people think (or at least, it really should).

I don't want to step in anymore unless I have to. Take my money. Ship me my watches.

Thanks!
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:24 PM   #50
Sirocco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogger View Post
For hot pieces, like Rolex tool watches, my experience with Chrono 24 sellers (I filter by sellers in the US and EU and only offers that include the original box and papers) is that the price they ask is only very slightly negotiable, if at all. I've made offers of $500 less than asking on a $18K listing and had the offer rejected without even a counter offer.

I've not bought a Patek from Chrono24 though.
Thanks you for your feedback