The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 August 2020, 11:47 AM   #1
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Omega professional moonwatch

Hello friends.... I have a question few weeks ago I bought a professional moonwatch hesality.... I just love it amazing watch amazing history.

My question someone change the caseback for a aftermarket one? (clear caseback)

The 1861 it's such a beauty.... I know I can go for the sapphire sandwich... But I like the hesality glass

I appreciate your comments or photos
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 03:20 PM   #2
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I wanted to do the same thing with my new Hesalite speedy but my AD told me that the case back for the sandwich speedmaster wouldn’t fit the 1861 movement
I believe there are some aftermarket ones but I’d be careful as it might void warranty and not be water tight

I’d be interested to learn more from other replies
Old 12 August 2020, 04:17 PM   #3
2024 Pledge Member

The Omega sapphire caseback will fit. You need to install a new c.1861 movement ring (aka spacer) to make it work.

Caseback #: 112ST1589
Movement ring #: 079LC086108

Unless something has changed, a watchmaker with an Omega parts account should be able to source these.

Water resistance won't change since the major point of ingress remains with the hesalite crystal. The sapphire caseback has a gasket between the crystal and caseback.

If you want to make it complete, also source the metal chronograph brake arm from the c.1863 movement to replace the delrin unit in your c.1861. I don't have the part number handy on that one but it should also be available through an Omega watchmaker.

HTH
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 10:06 PM   #4
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
The Omega sapphire caseback will fit. You need to install a new c.1861 movement ring (aka spacer) to make it work.

Unless something has changed, a watchmaker with an Omega parts account should be able to source these.

Water resistance won't change since the major point of ingress remains with the hesalite crystal. The sapphire caseback has a gasket between the crystal and caseback.

If you want to make it complete, also source the metal chronograph brake arm from the c.1863 movement to replace the delrin unit in your c.1861. I don't have the part number handy on that one but it should also be available through an Omega watchmaker.

HTH
Many thanks... A lot of info very helpful.... I just bought a transparent case back from Ebay (since my country is closed due coronavirus nightmare)

It's came with a spacer o-ring and the quality looks good (sapphire Cristal).... I know about the plastic brake but I can't find the part and no very good watchmaker around beside omega boutique)

"This is an aftermarket caseback designed for the OMEGA Speedmaster. If you want to see your movement, or add a bit of a pre-moon twist on your Speedmaster, then this caseback is what you're looking for" $100

Let's see when arrives... I will update with photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (146.2 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (265.4 KB, 825 views)
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
Old 12 August 2020, 10:34 PM   #5
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

HTH
That sounds like a lot of work. At that point, wouldn't it be both easier and cheaper to buy sapphire sandwich and install the hesalite crystal?
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:48 AM   #6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantonIzzo View Post
That sounds like a lot of work. At that point, wouldn't it be both easier and cheaper to buy sapphire sandwich and install the hesalite crystal?
It's about 15-20 minutes worth of work for a watchmaker. Remove the caseback, remove the stem, remove the movement, remove the movement ring, install new movement ring, install the movement, install the stem, screw on the new caseback, bill the customer for an hour just because.

I don't know if the hesalite crystal fits a sapphire watch but to make that happen you'd be doing the above anyway just to press the crystal out of the case. So, you really aren't saving any time or effort. It's actually easier to do the above than to replace the crystal.
Old 13 August 2020, 02:54 AM   #7
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's about 15-20 minutes worth of work for a watchmaker. Remove the caseback, remove the stem, remove the movement, remove the movement ring, install new movement ring, install the movement, install the stem, screw on the new caseback, bill the customer for an hour just because.

I don't know if the hesalite crystal fits a sapphire watch but to make that happen you'd be doing the above anyway just to press the crystal out of the case. So, you really aren't saving any time or effort. It's actually easier to do the above than to replace the crystal.
I didn’t know that! That’s good to know! Probably not at an AD since mine told me it’s not doable
What about water resistance as accuracy of the movement after installation?
Do you have a link to where to buy the back and spacer?
Thanks!!
Old 13 August 2020, 03:41 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I didn’t know that! That’s good to know! Probably not at an AD since mine told me it’s not doable
What about water resistance as accuracy of the movement after installation?
Do you have a link to where to buy the back and spacer?
Thanks!!
If your AD info came from a salesman who isn't a watchmaker then they made a guess at best and guessed incorrectly. Perhaps it's Omega who doesn't want parts swapped but that only means it's a policy. The physical parts will absolutely swap.

Water resistance will be the same before as after. The hesalite models aren't rated very high due to the plexi crystal. The sapphire caseback is rated higher than the hesalite crystal.

Movement accuracy and regulation would remain unchanged so long as nothing about the movement changes. If the delrin chrono brake is replaced with metal then the end result will depend on the watchmaker.

I don't have a link for the parts. Find a watchmaker in your area with an Omega account and ask them if they'll order parts and perform the work.

Old 13 August 2020, 04:04 AM   #9
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good to know!
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 04:43 PM   #10
XZACM102
"TRF" Member

3572.50 reference is the way to go in this case. The best of both worlds....
XZACM102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 07:55 AM   #11
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Finally the day comes.... Today I go to a local watchmaker to change the case back on my hesality moonwatch.... Lucky me... The watchmaker don't open the watch and say this will not fit... Because is an aftermarket part... OH thank you can you leave open my watch I will do the work at my home (I have the tool and everything but I was afraid to do the change by myself, but this annoying watchmaker give me the courage to do so)

Long story short here is the photos.... The case fit amazing the o-ring fit perfect... The look I love it.... Best of both worlds to be honest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (6).jpg (164.0 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg (232.8 KB, 708 views)
Old 15 August 2020, 06:43 AM   #12
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
Finally the day comes.... Today I go to a local watchmaker to change the case back on my hesality moonwatch.... Lucky me... The watchmaker don't open the watch and say this will not fit... Because is an aftermarket part... OH thank you can you leave open my watch I will do the work at my home (I have the tool and everything but I was afraid to do the change by myself, but this annoying watchmaker give me the courage to do so)

Long story short here is the photos.... The case fit amazing the o-ring fit perfect... The look I love it.... Best of both worlds to be honest
That looks great. Does anyone have the link to where I can purchase the original parts online? Thanks
0-60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2020, 05:37 PM   #13
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60 View Post
That looks great. Does anyone have the link to where I can purchase the original parts online? Thanks
Hello this is the link from ebay... This is the exact same case back that I bought, it's came with the o-ring

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124282125288
Old 15 August 2020, 10:15 PM   #14
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I was skeptical at the start of your thread about this being a good idea. But it looks awesome. Nice work.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 01:07 AM   #15
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eyes View Post
I was skeptical at the start of your thread about this being a good idea. But it looks awesome. Nice work.
Me to hahaha... But the result speaks by itself .... Looks amazing... Looks so good that a friend of mine buy the same case back... And next week we will make the change
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (7).jpg (232.8 KB, 580 views)
Old 27 August 2020, 09:33 AM   #16
Tag7800
"TRF" Member

So cool - I'd never have thought this possible!
Tag7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 01:05 PM   #17
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag7800 View Post
So cool - I'd never have thought this possible!
Many thanks... After few weeks the watch looks amazing.. Everything works perfect and the look is amazing
Old 28 August 2020, 02:50 AM   #18
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Nice! I am very tempted to do this.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2020, 09:52 AM   #19
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I put a Thomas preik sapphire caseback on my 1861 and 321 movement Speedmasters. Looks great and takes just a few minutes

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/i...3ae80382b85ce0
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2020, 04:06 PM   #20
0-60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I put a Thomas preik sapphire caseback on my 1861 and 321 movement Speedmasters. Looks great and takes just a few minutes

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/i...3ae80382b85ce0

Can you post some pics please
Old 29 August 2020, 11:00 AM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60 View Post
Can you post some pics please
Will post in a couple days, but it was quite easy, just twist off the back, remove the dust cover, and screw on the replacement sapphire back
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 11:30 AM   #22
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:

I’ve heard the sapphire sandwich speedy movement is more decorated than the hesalite. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2020, 02:20 PM   #23
tsquared
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
I’ve heard the sapphire sandwich speedy movement is more decorated than the hesalite. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true, you can find examples of both movements on Omega's website, and the 1863 has more decorated on the bridges, etc. Also, the plastic Delrin brake in the 1861 is replaced with a metal one in the 1863 movement, though the Delrin brake in the 1861 is more true to the original.
tsquared is offline   Reply With Quote