The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2020, 06:01 AM   #1
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
First Rolex, First RSC Experience, First Post

I bought a Datejust 36 with domed bezel and Jubilee bracelet in May of 2019. I WANTED to like the beloved Rolex fluted bezel, but just wasn't feeling it... Love this watch, very clean and understated, which I prefer. Its accuracy was dead on for the first couple of months then gradually and continuously degraded over time. By November, it was slow by 10 seconds a day. Not a big deal in the big picture of life but not right. The fact that it was getting worse also indicated to me that something was changing, and relatively quickly. I invested in a timegrapher and verified the accuracy and noticed that amplitude was 270 fully wound. When the watch was warmer (on a 90 degree heating blanket), it ran noticeably less slow as if the lubrication was thinning out offering less resistance. I really didn't want to send it in but after several more months of vacillation, I decided to contact my AD in March of 2020 and have them send it in under warranty. That was the week before everything shut down due to COVID. My watch sat in the AD's vault for two months while they were closed then finally sent to Dallas for service in May. Received the watch back in August, five months after dropping it off at AD. I was told the Dallas RSC is operating at 25% capacity and very backlogged. Accuracy is now perfect, 0s/d manually wound and on night stand and about +.5s/d when worn regularly. The rotor is now noticeably louder, but not annoyingly so and only when held up to the ear to compare. It makes me wonder if the original lubrication was either excessive or too viscous. Amplitude is now 300 fully wound and stabilizes at 290 after 20 minutes or so. Other than the COVID wait, the overall service experience was smooth and painless. There was no charge for service nor did they indicate what repairs were made. Rolex did return the watch in a nice Rolex Green travel pouch. Thought I'd share the experience in case someone else is considering repairs. You'll have to be patient...
Watch_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 10:59 AM   #2
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Sorry to hear you had issues but glad it all worked out and you now have your watch back.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 03:21 AM   #3
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Sorry to hear you had issues but glad it all worked out and you now have your watch back.
Thank you. It all worked out fine in the end
Old 17 August 2020, 04:30 AM   #4
campfire
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about the troubles. But glad it worked out in the end. Enjoy your watch.

All the best.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 05:18 AM   #5
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch_5150 View Post
I bought a Datejust 36 with domed bezel and Jubilee bracelet in May of 2019. I WANTED to like the beloved Rolex fluted bezel, but just wasn't feeling it... Love this watch, very clean and understated, which I prefer. Its accuracy was dead on for the first couple of months then gradually and continuously degraded over time. By November, it was slow by 10 seconds a day. Not a big deal in the big picture of life but not right. The fact that it was getting worse also indicated to me that something was changing, and relatively quickly. I invested in a timegrapher and verified the accuracy and noticed that amplitude was 270 fully wound. When the watch was warmer (on a 90 degree heating blanket), it ran noticeably less slow as if the lubrication was thinning out offering less resistance. I really didn't want to send it in but after several more months of vacillation, I decided to contact my AD in March of 2020 and have them send it in under warranty. That was the week before everything shut down due to COVID. My watch sat in the AD's vault for two months while they were closed then finally sent to Dallas for service in May. Received the watch back in August, five months after dropping it off at AD. I was told the Dallas RSC is operating at 25% capacity and very backlogged. Accuracy is now perfect, 0s/d manually wound and on night stand and about +.5s/d when worn regularly. The rotor is now noticeably louder, but not annoyingly so and only when held up to the ear to compare. It makes me wonder if the original lubrication was either excessive or too viscous. Amplitude is now 300 fully wound and stabilizes at 290 after 20 minutes or so. Other than the COVID wait, the overall service experience was smooth and painless. There was no charge for service nor did they indicate what repairs were made. Rolex did return the watch in a nice Rolex Green travel pouch. Thought I'd share the experience in case someone else is considering repairs. You'll have to be patient...
Glad it worked out for you in the end. My Daytona was sat in the RSC fully serviced when everything closed here , only recently got it back.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 05:21 AM   #6
m56
Banned

I'm sorry for the experience. But I'm glad it turned out well eventually...
m56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 10:00 AM   #7
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Hopefully it didn't come across like a "whine" session. Mainly, I was sharing the experience to help someone else that might be going through a similar situation. It was a good learning experience. Now, maybe a Sub next? Maybe someday ;)
Old 17 August 2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by m56 View Post
I'm sorry for the experience. But I'm glad it turned out well eventually...
x2
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 11:02 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Larry

I’ve always had excellent service from RSC in Toronto. Glad to hear yours was good too
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 02:05 PM   #10
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Thank you all!
Old 17 August 2020, 02:55 PM   #11
SearChart
TechXpert

Interesting... what makes you think 270 degrees of amplitude is not good enough?
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 02:01 AM   #12
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Interesting... what makes you think 270 degrees of amplitude is not good enough?
I didn't. I thought -10s/d was not good enough. 270 was an observation. It's 300 now after repairs and spot on accurate. A conclusion can be drawn, but not ascertained. I thought it was interesting as well.
Old 18 August 2020, 06:45 AM   #13
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

This is a good story about how RSC is supposed to work (except for the time delay- not RSC's fault). TRF members are likely more inclined to describe any untoward experience, but it's also more likely that most repairs are done well and without a glitch. YMMV
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 09:45 AM   #14
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
This is a good story about how RSC is supposed to work (except for the time delay- not RSC's fault). TRF members are likely more inclined to describe any untoward experience, but it's also more likely that most repairs are done well and without a glitch. YMMV
Absolutely true. I was actually quite impressed with how well it went overall. I initially had the opportunity to pick up the watch from my AD when they realized it wouldn't go out to RSC for a while. I waited a bit too long to decide and then the AD shut down as well. They kept it very safe... It still amazes me that something as mechanical as this movement is as accurate as some of my quartz watches. Fascinating...
Old 18 August 2020, 04:30 PM   #15
Rollied
2024 Pledge Member

Dig the username, translates to watch crazy? You must be either in law enforcement or a healthcare worker, I’ll guess the latter
Rollied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 10:36 PM   #16
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollied View Post
Dig the username, translates to watch crazy? You must be either in law enforcement or a healthcare worker, I’ll guess the latter
Thanks, friends in both fields
Old 19 August 2020, 10:06 AM   #17
Watch_5150
"TRF" Member

Another item of note perhaps, that I failed to mention originally, is that the reserve power of the watch before the repair was 75 hours and 72 hours when returned. Thought I'd mention it for those who are curious as to how things work, particularly regarding the relatively new 3235 movement. Great forum by the way, I've really appreciated the information over the last year.