The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2020, 06:51 AM   #31
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

A.

Obviously.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 01:51 PM   #32
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I put half down, pumped for the watch! And I think this is boutique only, and omega isn't dying from this downturn at all end of the day...you just need to decide if you want the watch!
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 02:08 PM   #33
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I put half down, pumped for the watch! And I think this is boutique only, and omega isn't dying from this downturn at all end of the day...you just need to decide if you want the watch!
This is not a boutique exclusive. US authorized dealers will sell them as well. Official Omega production estimates are 1000 to 2000 pieces per year.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 02:32 AM   #34
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
I wouldn’t pay for any watch upfront especially in these times.

It’s not like it’s a car they’re building from scratch for you - and even then they don’t ask for much upfront.

I’d get the sapphire for now. Used. And wait and see what happens in 6 months to a year with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 11:00 AM   #35
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I have my deposit down at a boutique who state they have preferential allocation, the local AD expects theyll get some but are in the dark as to when and how many

So not boutique exclusive, but may be indeirectly boutique only for the next year or two depending on how many deposits boutiques get
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 12:38 PM   #36
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

A! Get it.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:19 AM   #37
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

I don't understand why people think that $14k for the Ed White is too "steep." A Daytona's MSRP is similar, but the 321 movement actually has nice finishing in addition to it being hand-assembled by one person. On the other hand, while robust and a great movement, there is nothing particularly special about the current movement inside the Daytona. Moreover, you likely will be able to buy the Ed White, as opposed to having to play the Rolex game.

That said, if I had the money, I would choose A.
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 03:23 AM   #38
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantonIzzo View Post
I don't understand why people think that $14k for the Ed White is too "steep." A Daytona's MSRP is similar, but the 321 movement actually has nice finishing in addition to it being hand-assembled by one person. On the other hand, while robust and a great movement, there is nothing particularly special about the current movement inside the Daytona. Moreover, you likely will be able to buy the Ed White, as opposed to having to play the Rolex game.

I would too, and will.

I think a lot of the thing is that some people like people to see what’s on their wrist. A non wis will likely recognise a Daytona. No one apart from a wis will know what an Ed white is. It will just be an omega.

To some that perception matters - and that’s fine. The price point is what it is, but it’s hand built and will likely be release in much less numbers a year than the Daytona
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:44 AM   #39
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I would too, and will.

I think a lot of the thing is that some people like people to see what’s on their wrist. A non wis will likely recognise a Daytona. No one apart from a wis will know what an Ed white is. It will just be an omega.

To some that perception matters - and that’s fine. The price point is what it is, but it’s hand built and will likely be release in much less numbers a year than the Daytona
I've owned a black-dial pre-ceramic Daytona and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. If my Rolex AD called me and told me a new Daytona with my name was waiting for me..... I would rush down, plonk down my cash...and immediately flip-it.

I would then take the proceeds of the sale and buy an Ed White 321 Speedmaster.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 06:46 AM   #40
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I've owned a black-dial pre-ceramic Daytona and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. If my Rolex AD called me and told me a new Daytona with my name was waiting for me..... I would rush down, plonk down my cash...and immediately flip-it.

I would then take the proceeds of the sale and buy an Ed White 321 Speedmaster.
I owned a black dial ceramic and moved it after 3 months (bought grey and sold grey). It’s a terrific watch no doubt, but I bet the Ed white has that something extra.

I hope I find out by 2028 or so....
Old 22 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #41
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax

Is it as good as this bad boy? Wow this is one sexy piece.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 05:05 PM   #42
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I think I prefer the 321.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 09:44 PM   #43
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
For the money I would go DSOTM at 6.5K.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 10:55 AM   #44
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Reviving old thread. I placed a deposit for the 321 recently, will be waiting for awhile. The watches I have seen pictures of that have been delivered are gorgeous, can't wait to get one!
SSGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 11:27 AM   #45
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
Now this is strictly hypothetical...

Question:

Let's say you get a call from your local Omega AD. They say you have a chance at being on the list for the new Speedmaster 321 Ed White. However, you have to pay 100% up front.
There's no exact time that you will received the watch, but you will at some point and should be this year and delivery to the US starts next month is what you are told.
You happen to be a speedmaster fan. You've also been looking for a regular speedmaster, like the moonwatch professional sapphire sandwich but haven't pulled the trigger only to get this message from the AD during the hunt. You have til monday to pay for your spot or it goes to someone else.

Now.... what allllllll that said... what would YOU do in this situation?

A) Pay and get one immediately!
B) Pass (for whatever reason)
C) Just go for the sapphire sandwich
D) Don't get anything, save that money!
E) None of the above and your own answer

thanks Omega fans! and HAGWE!!!

*one more thing... you do collect watches... have for many years and truth be told you've never sold one watch ever... you're not a flipper, just a lover of watches. Not to say you'd never sell one, but at this point it hasn't been done.
I say this because I want to avoid the flipping conversation if possible.
Ultimately depends on your interest in speedys and your cash flow. If you can float $15k for a year and you really love speedys, go for it.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 04:50 PM   #46
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000_driver View Post
This is not a boutique exclusive. US authorized dealers will sell them as well. Official Omega production estimates are 1000 to 2000 pieces per year.
I suspect there will be far less than that ...

This 1000-2000 estimate per year is actually not for the SS 321 Ed White, but for Calibre 321 itself. This movement is shared with other exclusive models like the 321 Platinum (500 made apparently) and possibly other LE in the future. Also, it is a "maximum", which means they could decide to manufacture less. In fact, I feel they will look at the demand and build just enough to keep them rare and drive everyone crazy :-)

Mine below on OEM alligator strap:

whiteibex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 05:33 PM   #47
S2000_driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
Reviving old thread. I placed a deposit for the 321 recently, will be waiting for awhile. The watches I have seen pictures of that have been delivered are gorgeous, can't wait to get one!
It is fantastic in person. Hope you get yours soon.
S2000_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 04:05 AM   #48
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Any information about how this works in terms of list?

Is it similar to the Snoopy:
1) Official list with a deposit in full, waiting to receive the watch
2) List of interest, waiting to put a deposit to hop on the official list
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 02:18 PM   #49
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

A,

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 03:24 PM   #50
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
A. Go for it!!
Old 18 December 2020, 07:39 PM   #51
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantonIzzo View Post

I was offered a new 321 last week and I have to say, having seen it and tried it on, I thought that £12,000 was far too "steep" for me.

I understand that the movement is historic and that not many will be made, but I felt that you are paying an awful lot for this knowledge as opposed to paying for a quality watch. The watch felt very light weight and was far too bright and sparkly for me. The bracelet is a nice design and very thin, but also felt a bit tinny and did not fill me with confidence about how hard wearing it may turn out to be. I'm sure that other people will love the watch, but it was not for me so I turned it down. Disappointing, but I don't spend that sort of money on a watch I'm not sure about.

I found that comparing a 321 to a SS Daytona is like chalk and cheese as far as weight and the perception of quality is concerned. I'm sure that others will disagree with me.
Old 19 December 2020, 06:41 PM   #52
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Well.... I see this thread isn’t dead yet lol so just to keep you all updated, I chose A!
I ended up putting a deposit down and I’m just waiting patiently. I did get a call to see one (for another customer) in person which made my decision even better! I’m glad I decided to go with it and now just waiting patiently for the official call. Btw in my original post I made a huge error. I said Omega “AD” but what I meant was Omega “Boutique”. Maybe that makes a difference, I don’t know but what I do know is the day I get it I will be posting a S#%! Load of pics!!!
As for my opinion, after handling the piece in person I felt the weight was perfect. This is a reissue and over 90% of the original Ed White 321. The lightness actually impressed me due to the fact that the bracelet is now solid and not hollow links, the ceramic bezel instead of aluminum is a nice touch, and of course the open caseback. It’s got a vintage feel with modern upgrades and yes, I’m into that! Big respect to the originals from decades ago but I feel way more confident wearing this one around than a true vintage. And just for the record, that “faux” lume everyone is talking about.... it’s not as dramatic in real life. Honestly I think it’s great. I have a 3572.50 with luminova and it’s even got a warm tone to the hour markers. I’ve really grown to love and enjoy Omega more and more in the last year and I’m excited to eventually add this to my group of watches. To own a Lemania based 321 with modern tech and high end materials will be a wish come true for me. Anyhow Happy Holidays everyone and thanks for all the feed back!
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 03:40 AM   #53
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
Well.... I see this thread isn’t dead yet lol so just to keep you all updated, I chose A!
I ended up putting a deposit down and I’m just waiting patiently. I did get a call to see one (for another customer) in person which made my decision even better! I’m glad I decided to go with it and now just waiting patiently for the official call. Btw in my original post I made a huge error. I said Omega “AD” but what I meant was Omega “Boutique”. Maybe that makes a difference, I don’t know but what I do know is the day I get it I will be posting a S#%! Load of pics!!!
As for my opinion, after handling the piece in person I felt the weight was perfect. This is a reissue and over 90% of the original Ed White 321. The lightness actually impressed me due to the fact that the bracelet is now solid and not hollow links, the ceramic bezel instead of aluminum is a nice touch, and of course the open caseback. It’s got a vintage feel with modern upgrades and yes, I’m into that! Big respect to the originals from decades ago but I feel way more confident wearing this one around than a true vintage. And just for the record, that “faux” lume everyone is talking about.... it’s not as dramatic in real life. Honestly I think it’s great. I have a 3572.50 with luminova and it’s even got a warm tone to the hour markers. I’ve really grown to love and enjoy Omega more and more in the last year and I’m excited to eventually add this to my group of watches. To own a Lemania based 321 with modern tech and high end materials will be a wish come true for me. Anyhow Happy Holidays everyone and thanks for all the feed back!
Well said.

Looking forward to the arrival, both yours and mine.
Old 20 December 2020, 09:20 AM   #54
Mifune
Banned

following...
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 10:14 AM   #55
amanbra
"TRF" Member

It’s and awesome watch. I haven’t moved mine into a wearing rotation yet but won’t be long.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 02:10 PM   #56
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Well said.

Looking forward to the arrival, both yours and mine.
Thank you and Yes! Cheers to that and to everyone else who’s waiting for one
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 01:25 AM   #57
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
It’s and awesome watch. I haven’t moved mine into a wearing rotation yet but won’t be long.

Is this the same dial as the new Moon Watch is going to have?
Old 21 December 2020, 02:27 AM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Is this the same dial as the new Moon Watch is going to have?
Good question, I haven’t read anything yet to specify.

Lume color, markings and subdials being the differences from standard model as I recall?
Old 21 December 2020, 02:40 AM   #59
ratty
"TRF" Member

There’s a photo of the dial in post 7 of the ‘New Speedmaster Pro’ thread and it looks just like the 321 dial to me.

Can anyone with better eyes than mine see any differences?
Old 21 December 2020, 06:24 AM   #60
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
There’s a photo of the dial in post 7 of the ‘New Speedmaster Pro’ thread and it looks just like the 321 dial to me.

Can anyone with better eyes than mine see any differences?
Just the lume colour I think, and on the hesalite the logo is printed and not applied.

The step dial was one of the real good things about this (recently only the Apollo 11 steel and gold and ultraman had them). Now they’ve put it on the regular speedie, one of the lures of the 321 is available at a much lower price point.