The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2020, 09:05 AM   #1
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Icon14 Patek Philippe will always be #1 brand.....!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtkYak2XsqA

Youtube video....^^^... Agree or Disagree..??...^^^.....

Patek Philippe will always be #1 brand.....!!!

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:13 AM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Thanks for sharing the vid, bro! This IMO is one of his better videos. Some valid points made there.

"If you take away sports watch from both brands, Patek blows AP away"

"I can name at least 35 models of Patek on strap"

"I have at least 10 models of Patek on strap that I like"

All above resonate with me.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:25 AM   #3
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP

I think it has many layers , if I go to a club I want in my wrist my AP 44 rose gold. If I am going to fancy dinner I am taking My patek . For my daily I would probably choose my Rolex . And in each instance the brand that I choose is the number 1 brand choice for the specific event.
Now of course you can use the watches in any situation you want, I am just trying to say that each of these brands have a place in my collection that I don’t want live without. In other words those 3 brands share the gold medal , I personally make no distinction between them.

But what the video is saying is what brand has more pedigree and complicated watches on a strap , then sure if you see it from that angle and say Patek is number 1 on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
This is true. However if you want 1 watch to do all 3, for me its gotta be the Nautilus :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I think it has many layers , if I go to a club I want in my wrist my AP 44 rose gold. If I am going to fancy dinner I am taking My patek . For my daily I would probably choose my Rolex . And in each instance the brand that I choose is the number 1 brand choice for the specific event.
Now of course you can use the watches in any situation you want, I am just trying to say that each of these brands have a place in my collection that I don’t want live without. In other words those 3 brands share the gold medal , I personally make no distinction between them.

But what the video is saying is what brand has more pedigree and complicated watches on a strap , then sure if you see it from that angle and say Patek is number 1 on that.

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:09 AM   #5
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
This is true. However if you want 1 watch to do all 3, for me its gotta be the Nautilus :)
Can’t submerge the nautilus.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:18 AM   #6
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post

Quote:

Nautilus is cool, but it will be the last watch I would choose for a watch to be worn in all occasions. For that I would default with a Rolex .

Albert Einstein
Old 7 August 2020, 10:43 AM   #7
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
didn't watch the video, but yeah i'd agree PP is right about there. and yeah, hard to dethrone any king.
but the market will decide. if they F up, who knows.
PP holds #1 or near #1 place to me. but i actually don't love too many models really. they feel too small and unappealing to me. i love the nautilus only really, and not the 5711. i also think there are a lot of brands who are right there in terms of quality, like ALS, and JLC almost.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:05 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5711 and 5980 are 120m water resistant...very submergable...
Old 7 August 2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Once again Jinn is right both about 5711 being best for all occasions. I wear my white face 5711 more than all my other pieces - just most comfortable, thin, ozzes w class but totally under the radar - only those in the know know what it is ! As to waterproof , where did someone get the idea you could submerse it ?? Just a fine collectible timepiece.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 12:31 PM   #10
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 5711 and 5980 are 120m water resistant...very submergable...
Dont you need Patek to check the seals yearly if you plan to submerse a nautilus?
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 01:13 PM   #11
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Nautilus is water resistant , depending on the model varies 60-120m ; but that’s beside the point. Nautilus is categorized as a sport watch but it clearly doesn’t behave like one. The watch has a sporty image with water resistant characteristics but don’t be mistaken it is a delicate watch.
Sure you can abuse it if you desire to do so , but the abuse will be visible to the naked eye. Is not a watch that you can wear for all situations like a Rolex.

Yes , Yes , yes is a cool watch but you can clearly feel the difference in the wrist when compare to a watch like a Rolex. Rolex is like a tank, Nautilus has a delicate bracelet, a delicate bezel and kind of crappy clasp if you ask me.
Sometimes people can’t see clearly the things for what they are and they are just blinded in this hype of the Nautilus.
Is not an all propose watch ! Period

To each it’s own , because to be fair it has to be said that Rolex can’t compete with Patek when we talk about watch movements, patek is truly Haute Horology and nobody can’t debate that

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 7 August 2020, 01:25 PM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

I'm not really into the $ hype. What I do know is the $25k I paid for my 5711 at msrp would be money well spent and can/will satisfy my entire life for all occasions if I only choose 1 watch for the rest of my life. I wouldn't advocate paying double retail for it (a different story), at the same time I would never "just" have 1 watch. I would do what you do, Rolex for play/sport/rough and tumble, Patek for dress and AP for in-between.

Sure, the nautilus (in steel and the 5711 or 5980 blue) will get scratches if I don't baby it (I say this having owned both a brand new and a truly beat up 2009 one - see pic and I loved the beaten one up alot since i didn't care using it anywhere; it broke my heart to part with it) but it will still look good in all 3 occasions. I personally find Rolexes not suitable for blacktie/formal but that is me.

Quote:
Nautilus is water resistant , depending on the model varies 60-120m ; but that’s beside the point. Nautilus is categorized as a sport watch but it clearly doesn’t behave like one. The watch has a sporty image with water resistant characteristics but don’t be mistaken it is a delicate watch.

Sure you can abuse it if you desire to do so , but the abuse will be visible to the naked eye. Is not a watch that you can wear for all situations like a Rolex.

Yes , Yes , yes is a cool watch but you can clearly feel the difference in the wrist when compare to a watch like a Rolex. Rolex is like a tank, Nautilus has a delicate bracelet, a delicate bezel and kind of crappy clasp if you ask me.

Sometimes people can’t see clearly the things for what they are and they are just blinded in this hype of the Nautilus.

Is not an all propose watch ! Period

To each it’s own , because to be fair it has to be said that Rolex can’t compete with Patek when we talk about watch movements, patek is truly Haute Horology and nobody can’t debate that

Cheers

Old 7 August 2020, 01:28 PM   #13
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not really into the $ hype. What I do know is the $25k I paid for my 5711 at msrp would be money well spent and can/will satisfy my entire life for all occasions if I only choose 1 watch for the rest of my life. I wouldn't advocate paying double retail for it (a different story), at the same time I would never "just" have 1 watch. I would do what you do, Rolex for play/sport/rough and tumble, Patek for dress and AP for in-between.

Sure, the nautilus (in steel and the 5711 or 5980 blue) will get scratches if I don't baby it, but it will still look good in all 3 occasions. I personally find Rolexes not suitable for blacktie/formal but that is me.

Exactly my point , to each his own bro
Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 7 August 2020, 01:35 PM   #14
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly my point , to each his own bro
Cheers

Pretty cool to hear your perspective bro, especially since you've been around the block with your famous thread :)

Old 7 August 2020, 04:00 PM   #15
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Really? I have and do submerge all of my nautilus. I regularly swim laps with my 5740 and never have had an issue, actually I am the one usually having issues from being submerged.

Great video btw. I loved AP, but feel they lost their way from a brand perspective. Patek just keeps growing on me, even models that I never gave a second look have started to pique my interest.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 08:40 PM   #16
yoast
"TRF" Member

They are perfectly fine in the water.

Old 7 August 2020, 09:40 PM   #17
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It has better water resistance than the AP, and more than many Rolexes...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:47 PM   #18
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
I would take a 5740/1G over any timepiece AP makes hands down.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 09:59 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

ROFLOL!

He needs to check out others brands, as there are better than PP...

...in warranty length

...and service times

...and yes build / quality

...in innovation...

PS: A guy here recently had to have his Panerai serviced, they gave him a Panerai loaner watch. Does Patek provide a loaner timepiece while you wait for service?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:46 PM   #20
guanxi
"TRF" Member

Owner of both PPs and APs I have a profound respect and admiration for both brands and they are both references in high horology. OK advantage for PP given brand status and overall legacy but to think AP is producing around 20,000 watches less per year, is more in the know and is not afraid of innovating, has a special appeal to me, not even mentioning the fact that they launched the original luxury sport watch and all the complications around it, PP followed on this specific (and very relevant) trend but still is the leader on so many other!

I’ll take both please with a side of Rolex!
medium rare...
guanxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:18 PM   #21
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanxi View Post
Owner of both PPs and APs I have a profound respect and admiration for both brands and they are both references in high horology. OK advantage for PP given brand status and overall legacy but to think AP is producing around 20,000 watches less per year, is more in the know and is not afraid of innovating, has a special appeal to me, not even mentioning the fact that they launched the original luxury sport watch and all the complications around it, PP followed on this specific (and very relevant) trend but still is the leader on so many other!

I’ll take both please with a side of Rolex!
medium rare...
Rolex has my heart, AP has my body, and Patek has my soul :)
Old 7 August 2020, 11:22 PM   #22
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Patek needs to extend their warranty like AP they definitely are short changing owners.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 11:26 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Now of course you can use the watches in any situation you want, I am just trying to say that each of these brands have a place in my collection that I don’t want live without. In other words those 3 brands share the gold medal , I personally make no distinction between them....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very well said as usual Jorge
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 12:54 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the Patek brand and their range of lines are superior to AP, but the RO and ROO lines are stronger than the Nautilus and Aqua lines, they dominate the sports prestige area, something PP are well aware of and have been making significant and often flamboyant strides to close the gap in recent years.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:20 AM   #25
Custom02
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the Patek brand and their range of lines are superior to AP, but the RO and ROO lines are stronger than the Nautilus and Aqua lines, they dominate the sports prestige area, something PP are well aware of and have been making significant and often flamboyant strides to close the gap in recent years.

If AP dominates the ''sports prestige'' area, it would be in volume alone. Measured by rarity, overall desirability (obviously one partly derived from the other) and what constitutes good taste in terms of design I don't think its even close in favour of the Nautilus/Aquanaut.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:29 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
If we go with objective measures, overall desirability is the current market pricing? Nautilus and Aquanaut are stronger than RO and ROO in that aspect too. This may be due to the control of volume by Patek but isn't that part of the desirability equation?

Of course there are other subjective measures. Individual preference is not really debatable IMO.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:50 AM   #27
Billfav
"TRF" Member

I agree...

It is a fair video with many of the points raised. Although personally I put less weight on brand recognition. With that it is Rolex and no one else.

However PP has the pedigree and killer line up of beautiful dress watches (non sport) beyond their Nautilus/Aquanaut variants. What does AP really have outside it's Royal Oak and Offshore variants? I think AP being part of the "trinity" is based solely on its history. I said this in other posts, AP as a brand is overblown. Years ago they had some killer watches. I don't see them in the modern line up.

I would also submit the Nautilus is no less fragile than the Royal Oak (not offshore).

So to me PP it is the number 1 brand. Other brands out there come closer to being number 2 beyond AP (i.e. VC, ALS, FPJ).
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 01:53 AM   #28
Custom02
"TRF" Member

I was surprised when I was told that AP was in fact privately run. They act much more like a brand owned by a Richemont/LVMH type huge luxury conglomerate which are their own worst enemy in the long run. In that the incumbent CEO can't resist pumping one popular model for all its worth to maximise short/medium term revenue and growth to the point whereby when it eventually falls out of favour they have nothing else to sell.

Not that I was very interested to start with but there are so many Big Bang/Royal Oak/Speedmaster variations and ''limited'' editions that I now I simply switch off when I hear or come across an article about them. Whereas every single bit of Rolex or Patek related news is interesting.

If Patek is selling itself short in anyway, it is would be the fact that they are even producing large gold AP-esque sports models. Which I think do knowing they are aren’t attractive to the demographic they most want to endear themselves too.
Custom02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2020, 02:05 AM   #29
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Very well said as usual Jorge

Thanks bro

Albert Einstein
Old 8 August 2020, 02:22 AM   #30
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np2016 View Post
Patek needs to extend their warranty like AP they definitely are short changing owners.
Agree.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote