The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2020, 08:15 PM   #31
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
It is still possible to have irrational fears, isn't it?
Like I said, i'm no expert on the subject so the best I can do is ask experiences from other forum members

Glad I could clear that up for you

I would still rather believe what Patek says rather than bunch of random folks on a forum, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2020, 01:28 AM   #32
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
End of day, Patek’s require yearly inspection to safely bring to the pool while Rolex can go 10 years without bother to bring into the pool.
Spot on post. Who ever heard of having to annually pressure check a "swimmable" watch. Obviously, Patek believes their seals can fail within twelve months. The problem is, if the seals can fail at a year why can't they fail at six months, nine months or eleven months. Not a watch I want to swim with and have any confidence in it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2020, 04:57 PM   #33
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunnnn View Post
Hello experts!

Obviously more of a lurker than a forum participant. I very fortunately own both the 5712 and 5711 (managed to purchase them before all the hype). They are around 5 years of age. Patek has recommended servicing and maintenance every 5 years which includes oiling and checking/replacing water resistance bands etc.

As such, is it not advisable for the watch to touch water between now till I send the watch in for a service? I am not referring to bringing the watch for swims/dives etc, but rather, just running it under tap water for a rinse. This is so as I live in a hot/sunny/humid tropical climate and the watches do occasionally come into contact with some sweat/ sunscreen etc. Hence, a rinse would be cool to remove the sweat/marks etc, but am afraid of the integrity of the water resistance seal.

Looking forward to your inputs! Thank you!

You will be fine, unless you let some hack open your watch at some point from the time of purchase. In that case, you may want to simply get it pressure checked as a precaution, otherwise, you are good.

I love how this thread has evolved into the inclusion of another manufacturers (Seiko) owner’s manual for some unspecified model as ‘factual’ information for Patek’s overall ability to withstand water...interesting, but not applicable.

Sorry, but my first hand experience over the last two decades of wearing various Patek nautilus and aquanaut models while swimming (laps regularly) and scuba diving in the WATER reflects a different outcome. Yes, they are water resistant per the model’s specifications, albeit I don’t ever dive that deep. In fact, I have found they are usually underrated when I have had them tested independently over the years...but for those of you who want to keep wiping your watches with toilet paper...my response is ‘you do you’...we are cool. Just make sure to flush when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote