The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 April 2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Pay M3
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Aquaracer
What Drives You?

I'm curious, we have all made it to the point where we can walk in and drop 10k on a watch without it messing up our finances. What has pushed you to this point? What kept you going, always pushing for greater success?

For myself there has been many things along the path, my wife who never gave up on me when I first got out of the military without any idea what the path ahead would be. My kids depending on me to provide a comfortable life that would give them the happiness and places traveled I never had at their age. Listening to those famous words by Steve Jobs, "You can't connect the dots looking forward, only looking back". A poster at Levits Furniture store when I was around five that showed several high end cars in a garage with the words, "Justification for Higher Education". Watching countless family members working into far to late of years because social security was not enough. The Gambler when he said get to the level of F You.

I ask this because I think it's a fun topic and similar to business advice post from earlier today. I realize money is not everything, but we all do this for something. That new car, watch, house... it does something to motivate us to keep going, or celebrate the end. Either way, being at this point is pretty unique. Many people find happiness working a minimum wage job with no end it sight. Even some homeless people are happy and would not have it any other way.

What makes YOU different? For me the single greatest change agent that put me on this path has been my awesome wife that always pushed me for more and loves to see the savings rack up. My goal is to make her as happy as possible.
Pay M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 07:09 PM   #2
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Good topic, OP. There are tons of military members who count down the days 'til their DD-214 is in-hand, then have no idea what to do when they get dropped off at the airport with a seabag & manila envelope. I'm glad that you have a supportive wife (as do I) who stood by you while you were at one of life's many crossroads.

I think of my father for inspiration. Before I joined the Navy (see the world, join the Navy, it's mostly f*ckin' water!), I cooked professionally in NYC. I remember being petrified standing outside of Grand Central Terminal, calling my dad for a pep talk, before going inside to the Oyster Bar asking for a line cook position while still in culinary school. I forget his words, but I know that 4 years later, I had a Michelin recommendation (a nod, some people consider it a "half star") and 28/30 in Zagat to my name.

I was working myself to the bone, which is par-for-the-course in the NYC haute cuisine scene & again, turned to my father, a man who got up at 0440 every day & came back at 1900 for 35yrs to provide for his family. I decided on joining the Navy (not to cook, thankfully!) and my motivation now is saving & investing for my wife & my future. Logging onto USAA & tracking my mutual funds is satisfying because I know that I'm able to provide for the both of us while deployed.

I have a separate CD account (3-ish % APR) that is my Milgauss fund, and is never taken into account when I think of our finances. Every month, another auto transfer from checking & another uptick in dividends. I look forward to cashing it out & getting something that I've saved for, for a long time. My motivation is to be proud of myself & have my wife be proud of her husband.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 07:17 PM   #3
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
I do not have a high income, but i have quite some savings and i save a lot.. Does that count? Anyway the idea of owning a few nice watches, and enough cash on the bank that i do not get trapped by everything that can happen is driving me... I do not need luxury cars or luxury lifestyle, but just the idea of not needing to worry like that guys that get 10 times more income a month but still have no cash on the end of the month(it does happen) it does really happen.... I have several friends who make more than most on this forum and are still pisspoor by the end of the month, just because they live like elvis pressley and do not understand that saving is important .. We are talking about guys making 30k in euro's here. serious.. yes..
Basicly i love to scrape pennys at the grocery store in trade of a cheaper spending.. it is what i like doing, i love to buy clothes for what they are, temporary items instead of buying a tshirt of 100 bucks or more. I have had this time in the past, but the whole idea of you only live once is rather stupid than smart
i am 28 years old.. I need my money :) but a few Rolex watches, is that part of a bit joy in life.. Just to wear them and look at your own wrist. And in case of... you can Always trade them for basicly what you paid for or even break it...
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:59 PM   #4
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Family and passion for my work. Plus a bit of good luck on the way.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:34 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Time, income, luck are just a few.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:39 PM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
The fear of failure.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:47 PM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i cant say. i am just wired to be a hard worker. money and success are simply by products. luck has come into play as well (self created sometimes and purely not at other times).

that said i am not even close to the richest or most successful person on this forum and i doubt i will ever be. but measured by myself i am doing just fine. i am not lavish and don't care for expensive things other than wrist watches. i am a saver not a spender. for that very reason i can drop money on watches.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I was born poor. My dad worked hard. Always had a job, but we didn’t have a lot of money and I grew up in a working class neighborhood.

I always wanted something better. I busted my butt. Now I wear Rolex watches, live in an expensive home, take expensive vacations, and drive around in expensive cars.

I’m not really that materialistic. I actually live pretty modestly relative to my wealth. It’s just about living well and having a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:29 PM   #9
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
It is nice that we are able to participate in this, at times, expensive hobby.

I’m not wealthy, but I do ok and make sound financial decisions.

I would say that the fear of being broke, a desire to travel and live a comfortable life providing for my family without the financial stress drive me the most.

I remember the stress with my parents pulling the money together to make needed purchases, I don’t want that for myself.

I don’t want to be a rich person, with rich people problems. Simple financial independence is all I’m looking for.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:34 PM   #10
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The more stuff you have, the more stuff you can lose and so the greater the potential for fear, leading to unhappiness. This is one of the reasons why there isn't an evidential link between material wealth and happiness.
Old 17 April 2019, 11:36 PM   #11
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I don’t like to loose...
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:49 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I don’t like to loose...
I've always liked em tight too doc.

Honestly I would say my competitive nature but until recently having my first kid I was not as driven. Kids are great motivators for the lazy
Old 18 April 2019, 12:05 AM   #13
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I grew up poor on the south side of Chicago. Most people in my neighborhood worked in factories, 2/3 of my high school classmates didn't go to College.
My father was educated, but ended up retiring on social security. I told myself at a young age I was going to escape that life, and started earning my own money at 11 years old.
I worked hard, I also was motivated by fear of failure, and while I made very good money in my career, I'm not rich. My wife and I have a comfortable life as we near retirement. I stayed motivated supporting a family of 5 kids, trying to give them a big step up from where I came from. Now that they are grown, you realize that you have saved enough to be comfortable, and can buy some of these nice things you never thought you would.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:30 AM   #14
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Results, getting it right, and I don't lose.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:20 AM   #15
goin camping
"TRF" Member

wanting better than I had growing up drove me to better compensated employment.

The side businesses and moves were driven by the challenge and the money just confirmed that the idea and moves were good ones.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:08 AM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Happiness and enjoyment from a sense of fulfilment.

First job was age 12 and haven’t stopped since. I’m lucky to have found a career I really enjoy and is challenging in the right ways.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:54 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My chauffeur.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 05:07 AM   #18
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
My chauffeur.
"what", not "who". Unless your chauffeur is an object
Old 18 April 2019, 05:24 AM   #19
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Finding meaning and purpose in life is what drives me. Happiness not so much as that is an ephemeral emotion though meaning and purpose leads one there.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 05:28 AM   #20
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Maybe he's in love with his chauffeur?
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 05:36 AM   #21
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I'm not wealthy, but manage my money well and shrewd with expenses so I can spend like this on occasion.

What drives me?

After ending a 3.5 year relationship with my ex girlfriend bitching about spending money on a watch now and again when she thought I should drain my bank account for her foolishly accrued debts before my time and with another man nonetheless. Wasn't going to happen. Felt like a parent telling a child that actions have consequences.

So I fell out of love for a myriad of reasons (although turned my world upside down for her son who I love more than myself and money was no option) and bought myself a Rolex DJ 3 weeks ago in her honor.

Each day is getting a little better for me and my only wish is the best for her son. I have to keep reminding myself of the reasons why I ended it and can't stay in something unhealthy for the sake of a child. He's 6 and I helped raise him since 2.5. He's going to get older fast and won't be that little boy that plays with me and tags along everywhere I go. Then I'll be left with his mother, unhappy and past middle age. Fortunately I have healthy parents married 55 years this month to provide that unwavering support and advice of a father who spent 51 years at the same job and the wisdom, although sometimes painful, which comes with that.

I'd trade my Rolexes any day to not be alone. It stings in the pit of my stomach. Life is not benign. The joy of the material fades fast. I know who I am and what I can provide for someone who appreciates it. Hopefully I'll find it with my head screwed on straight.

I've already updated my resume and on the prowl for something bigger and brighter. This past month has motivated me to get out of the rut. I can pick up and march forward or regress and wallow. Life is not a dress rehearsal. You get one shot. Don't settle until you know you found it. Plus, it'll help me to land that gold DD!

Sorry to wax philosophic. But this is what I thought of when asked what drives me. I admire you guys who have the love your life and the beautiful children you created. You're very lucky.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 06:44 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I just want to be happy. that's all.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:14 AM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
He is the chauffeur. Plot thickens.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 09:15 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Probably just that i dont give a Fk.... i was going to buy that book hoping to learn something.

I kid

What drives me? I like money
Im a hustler baby
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:54 AM   #25
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Health, happiness and labia both majora and minora.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:12 AM   #26
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Really like my job and my time working so spending a little here and there when I have plenty saved doesn’t hurt at all.

Motivated by doing the most I can while having the most fun - nice things are part of the package.

Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 07:49 PM   #27
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Health, happiness and labia both majora and minora.
Hah!
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:12 PM   #28
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
My chauffeur.
Hoke Colburn?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:22 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Hard work and kindness.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 11:00 PM   #30
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I've always liked em tight too doc.

Honestly I would say my competitive nature but until recently having my first kid I was not as driven. Kids are great motivators for the lazy
That was intended from the previous post I just read......lose, loose.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote