The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #1
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Is anyone buying now?

The Coronavirus has been on all of our minds.....employment, travel, buying and selling of goods, supply, etc.

I was wondering if anyone is delaying the purchase of a watch if the AD was to call with a watch that you have been trying to get for a while?

I have limited my travel, large groups. I am on a waitlist at a few AD’s for a watch. I have to wonder if this will speed things up because prospective buyers will pass when the AD calls.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:50 PM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
The Coronavirus has been on all of our minds.....employment, travel, buying and selling of goods, supply, etc.

I was wondering if anyone is delaying the purchase of a watch if the AD was to call with a watch that you have been trying to get for a while?

I have limited my travel, large groups. I am on a waitlist at a few AD’s for a watch. I have to wonder if this will speed things up because prospective buyers will pass when the AD calls.
I’ve visited two AD’s so far this week with one more to go today. Both of them so far said they’ve sold every hot watch within an hour of them receiving it. They also said sales in general are the same as they was a month ago.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 11:51 PM   #3
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
I’d suspect that for hot models that people have been waiting 1,2 years + they will still buy the watch as they likely have the money set aside and wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:52 PM   #4
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
If I get the call, I'm buying.

Also with regards to travel, we've got trips planned to Aruba in April, Romania / Hungary in May and all over Florida for the summer...Coronavirus is stopping none of that. Gotta live life.
Old 11 March 2020, 11:53 PM   #5
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’ve visited two AD’s so far this week with one more to go today. Both of them so far said they’ve sold every hot watch within an hour of them receiving it. They also said sales in general are the same as they was a month ago.
Like they would admit otherwise .. I don't believe a single word any of those SA are telling, as I caught them couple of times telling opposite stories within the same AD ..
Old 11 March 2020, 11:54 PM   #6
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
If I get the call, I'm buying.

Also with regards to travel, we've got trips planned to Aruba in April, Romania / Hungary in May and all over Florida for the summer...Coronavirus is stopping none of that. Gotta live life.
We have a trip planned to Saint Augustine next week as part of spring break. My wife has informed me that unless we have a nuclear strike against us we are going.

I would’ve used any excuse to get out of it but let’s face it she’s in charge.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 11:55 PM   #7
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Like they would admit otherwise .. I don't believe a single word any of those SA are telling, as I caught them couple of times telling opposite stories within the same AD ..
Yeah well they are friends of mine. They have no need to or reason to lie to me.

Perhaps you should reevaluate your relationships with your AD.

Instagram - patton250
Old 11 March 2020, 11:59 PM   #8
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post

Nothing I want to buy regardless of the news
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 12 March 2020, 12:02 AM   #9
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
We have a trip planned to Saint Augustine next week as part of spring break. My wife has informed me that unless we have a nuclear strike against us we are going.

I would’ve used any excuse to get out of it but let’s face it she’s in charge.
St. Augustine is beautiful! You want to get out of that? Haha.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:06 AM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
St. Augustine is beautiful! You want to get out of that? Haha.
It absolutely is beautiful. Probably one of the best places in Florida. We already have been there many times. I’ve been traveling so much and working I would love to just sit at home for four straight days. Maybe I’ll get my wish soon enough right?

Instagram - patton250
Old 12 March 2020, 12:08 AM   #11
avidflyer

Quote:
Yeah well they are friends of mine. They have no need to or reason to lie to me.

Perhaps you should reevaluate your relationships with your AD.
Yes and No in my opinion, I have an East Coast and a Midwest AD I have bought quite a bit from. Both are down huge on foot traffic, East Coast is dead, but with that being said they still are selling the hot watches because of numerous people wanting the same watch. (like we didn't already know that) The biggest issue with the East Coast is no Asian foot traffic, they did a ton of DJ and odds and ends sales to that market and its gone. Saw several semi hot models in the case at Copley Sq last week, Two tone Sky D, Two tone Sea D, 4 hot DJ's (blue and white faces) and a couple others, more than normal. With the market up 1K one day down 1k another I think sales will slowly decline. Back to subs in the case doubt it. Time will tell.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:08 AM   #12
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I will risk my life and go and buy if they call for a Daytona. But wouldn't go out celebrating afterwards...
Old 12 March 2020, 12:09 AM   #13
sp006
"TRF" Member

Trip to Italy is most likely going to be cancelled but it hasn’t changed my willingness to purchase if my AD gives me a call. As most have mentioned, cash has been set aside specifically for this purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 12:23 AM   #14
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course they are still selling within an hour. Its not going to change overnight. If and I mean if this creates more distribution to other parts of the world, the lists will still be there, they will only get shortened quicker. Its going to take a meltdown to get it back to the old days where watches sat and sat waiting to be bought.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:28 AM   #15
SackLVG
"TRF" Member

if they let me, I'll hop on a plane to China, Korea, Italy tomorrow to get a black and white daytona for retail. Might celebrate with a couple of working women only if she showers first with soap.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:29 AM   #16
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
If I get the call, I'm buying. Maybe with mask and gloves but I'm buying. No one knows what's happening with shipments to hard hit countries or what will happen. Rolex could be holding their orders for all we know and the availability will not get better here. It's still very early.

I'll trade my opportunity for my watch to see this virus stuff over with. Lot of good a watch is going to do me if I'm on a ventilator!
Old 12 March 2020, 12:32 AM   #17
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
I would buy without hesitation. Nothing has changed for us. Actually we're profiting from the Wuhan Virus hysteria. I don't wish it to continue but when the population gets whipped up into a frenzy my business explodes.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:33 AM   #18
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Coronavirus will not affect the value or the buying power of people who want the sought after stainless steel models.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:33 AM   #19
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Of course they are still selling within an hour. Its not going to change overnight. If and I mean if this creates more distribution to other parts of the world, the lists will still be there, they will only get shortened quicker. Its going to take a meltdown to get it back to the old days where watches sat and sat waiting to be bought.
I don’t know man. A good old fashion recession should get these watches back in the showcases and it looks like that’s coming. I remember that thread where the grey dealer had 30+ BLNR’s. I would not want to be him right about now.

Instagram - patton250
Old 12 March 2020, 12:36 AM   #20
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
A buddy of mine works for a large AD here in Australia said stock is still very tight and still selling very easily.

The wait lists must be years long, time will tell...and rolex is no fool, they will reduce supply even further to counter any downturns.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:40 AM   #21
sp006
"TRF" Member

Unlike most businesses, Rolex can afford to hold inventory in their safes if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2020, 12:41 AM   #22
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I think if people get the call from their ADs on lists, they're going to buy. Some may not, and it doesn't take that many saying "no" to allow the ADs to move down the list and fulfill more requests. Also keep in mind many on this site I imagine are in a better financial position than most, so keep that in mind with responses.

This likely hurts secondary dealers more. Now those who would be okay with spending an extra 1-2k on say a Submariner, may think twice because of how things are going on the market. There may be less discretionary income and though it may mainly be due to uncertainty, it's still people not spending.

If the latter happens, it would not be a bad thing at all. It would mean that secondary markets will have to lower their prices to meet new market prices. The secondary dealer sitting with 24 BLNRs is going to have to make a choice on what to do with this stock.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:48 AM   #23
newu5er
"TRF" Member

My opinion is that while we are seeing downturns in the market, the demand is so pent up, the duration of the downturn and the corona virus would have to be extensive to see a major change in supply. I believe there are pockets of availability here and there due to the reasons above, but by far and large, those are pockets. We aren't seeing ADs get stock with any more frequency. I haven't change my personal goals and will purchase if I get a call or run across anything in my travels.
I can say inventory remains sparse at
Michelson's in Reykjavik
Perodri in Bilbao
Knud Petersen in Aarhus
Old 12 March 2020, 12:49 AM   #24
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Nope.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #25
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
I don’t know man. A good old fashion recession should get these watches back in the showcases and it looks like that’s coming. I remember that thread where the grey dealer had 30+ BLNR’s. I would not want to be him right about now.
That guy is in the Seybold Building in Miami and there's another dealer on the same block who is now listing multiples of the same watches on C24 in a clear attempt to unload inventory. Not dropping listed prices though. Yet!
Old 12 March 2020, 12:57 AM   #26
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I would say there is good reason for people to buy that special watch even more in today’s climate:

Let’s pretend anyone actually fears getting the flu and rearranges their lifestyle to sit at home instead of going on vacation. Now they have all that extra travel money and now won’t go anywhere.
Wouldn’t the next safe indulgent be purchasing that luxury watch they always wanted and have it delivered to their home??? After all, now they feel they want some reward or outlet of joy since they didn’t spend their $10k travel budget and leaving the house is too risky so all those online grey market watches start calling to them.
Old 12 March 2020, 12:59 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
No affect on my decisions whatsoever.
Old 12 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #28
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Same here.
Old 12 March 2020, 01:08 AM   #29
RFBHD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona116518GMTLN
I am in SW FL for 3 months.... found a Sub with one phone call to my favorite AD down here..... picked it the up the next day.. no mask no gloves!!! Ill be back for the the next Daytona or GMT that rolls in!!! No virus will stop my watch hunt!!! And the fishing is great too!
Old 12 March 2020, 01:12 AM   #30
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
+1

i am curious to see if any of the other watches on my radar turn up.