The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2020, 06:44 AM   #31
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II-16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep.intime View Post
For me it’s the bezel. Raised numbers, rather than engraved numbers, make the watch appear all bezel and disproportioned.

I wonder if anyone has photochopped bezel ideas for these because the rest of the YM looks great.
+1 That big bezel absolutely kills it for me.

CJ
cj3209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 06:45 AM   #32
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve always simply viewed the YM as a dressy Sub, (water rating aside and other dive features aside).

I’ve always liked the reference, but Submariners just suit my casual (rugged) style. Ok rugged is a stretch, but you get my point
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 07:05 AM   #33
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Here's an early one, looks like a Sub.. awesome! Makes me wonder why they changed it, it may have been more successful if they hadn't facelifted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (59.2 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg 52025-2.jpg (93.5 KB, 742 views)
File Type: jpg 116ommb2.jpg (44.9 KB, 739 views)
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 07:16 AM   #34
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamp27330 View Post
Looking at trading in my steel no date sub on either a bluesy or the sea dweller but man the dark rhodium or the blue yachtmaster has caught my eye lately. Why is there not anymore love for the yachtmaster's?
IMO, bezel and name.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 07:33 AM   #35
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
IMO, bezel and name.
hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, anything with the word yacht in it is gonna sound quite pretentious
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 07:46 AM   #36
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Personally I'm not a mega fan of the metal/dial choices, and I'd much rather just have a submariner.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:03 AM   #37
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep.intime View Post
For me it’s the bezel. Raised numbers, rather than engraved numbers, make the watch appear all bezel and disproportioned.

I wonder if anyone has photochopped bezel ideas for these because the rest of the YM looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
+1 That big bezel absolutely kills it for me.

CJ
And yet the bezels of the YM and the Sub are identical in size, inserts also. Because the YM has an all metal shiny bezel, it looks larger than the black ceramic insert surrounded by a steel bezel. However, it's nothing but an optical illusion.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:07 AM   #38
Cesium137
Banned

Sub > yacht
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:10 AM   #39
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I love the blue dialed YM. I also love the YMII and wear mine often.
Old 31 March 2020, 08:16 AM   #40
ByronB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yacht-Master II
I am perplexed as to why the Yacht Master line is so under rated. The good part is it just means those of us who do like them get to buy at fantastic prices. I just hate that so many folks are forced to wait for years for the SS model that they like, or have to pay well over retail. Neither of which would sit very well with me.

I find it ironic that the bezel is what seems to turn so many off because the sandblasted Platinum bezel is precisely what first drew me to the watch when it came out in 1999. I had been wearing Submariners for a very long time and I really appreciated the slightly dressier, yet still classic design of the original YM 40. I have enjoyed wearing a YM as my primary watch since 2000, and haven't looked back. Granted, I am an avid boater and quite involved in the boating lifestyle, so that certainly doesn't hurt. I feel the YM line was designed for people like me.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 08:28 AM   #41
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The bezel just sticks out to much plus it’s a scratch magnet.
Aplover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:35 AM   #42
Its prod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
I am perplexed as to why the Yacht Master line is so under rated. The good part is it just means those of us who do like them get to buy at fantastic prices. I just hate that so many folks are forced to wait for years for the SS model that they like, or have to pay well over retail. Neither of which would sit very well with me.

I find it ironic that the bezel is what seems to turn so many off because the sandblasted Platinum bezel is precisely what first drew me to the watch when it came out in 1999. I had been wearing Submariners for a very long time and I really appreciated the slightly dressier, yet still classic design of the original YM 40. I have enjoyed wearing a YM as my primary watch since 2000, and haven't looked back. Granted, I am an avid boater and quite involved in the boating lifestyle, so that certainly doesn't hurt. I feel the YM line was designed for people like me.

I too was initially drawn to the YM I because of the different bezel. I thought the all gold bezel in the YM I really separated itself from the other Rolex sports models. Going way back, the White dial YM I was a must have. When the opportunity arrived, I realized that I liked the blue dial better. This is one of my favorites. Cheers!

IMG_0562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:38 AM   #43
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplover5 View Post
The bezel just sticks out to much plus it’s a scratch magnet.
Those that say this are oblivious and have never owned one to make such a statement. They wear as well as any other bezel based on use.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:42 AM   #44
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, anything with the word yacht in it is gonna sound quite pretentious
What about Yacht rock? Hehe

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #45
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
And yet the bezels of the YM and the Sub are identical in size, inserts also. Because the YM has an all metal shiny bezel, it looks larger than the black ceramic insert surrounded by a steel bezel. However, it's nothing but an optical illusion.
https://youtu.be/_-I7oZBn5q8

Old 31 March 2020, 09:45 AM   #46
djyolky
Banned

The prices aren't fantastic and are part of the reason why it isn't as popular. If you mean you're able to buy a Yacht Master at an AD at MSRP...well okay. Nothing to get excited about though.

Old 31 March 2020, 09:58 AM   #47
sp006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
The prices aren't fantastic and are part of the reason why it isn't as popular. If you mean you're able to buy a Yacht Master at an AD at MSRP...well okay. Nothing to get excited about though.

Completely agree. There is a chart floating around the forums of avg income levels of people that buy submariners. The reality is that most people are overextending themselves to get one.

The YM is a 'mostly' SS watch with a 5 figure price tag for a scratch prone bezel and a fairly simple complication. I just bought a blue dial 126622 so I obviously love this model but I can see why others don't gravitate toward it.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:03 AM   #48
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I have a YG DDII and YG GMT-C green dial, plus a 40mm RG Cartier Ronde as a dress watch. About a year ago, I starting to give up hope on an MSRP Stainless Daytona. I sat down to consider the alternatives, I wanted a rotating bezel for timing steaks on the grill, I already had a GMT. That left me with the Sub or Yachty. To me the Yacht-Master is dressier than the Sub, with a more sleek case and has the robust platinum bezel. Plus it is a little more exclusive than the Sub, especially with the rhodium dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 11B8E9FB-C535-4F1C-9A13-22A6446C1881.jpeg (168.1 KB, 647 views)
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:25 AM   #49
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

Answer: there's lots of sheeps who buys into the SS sports rolex hype with edgy marketing companies i.e. Hodinkee.

Case & point there's so much hype in the polar explorer 16570... personally I think it's the most bland looking watch in the ss sports collection but for some reason it's trading a $7k USD..

For that money I would pick the 16622 in a heartbeat. It's a watch with 10x the finishing.
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:42 AM   #50
jack1
"TRF" Member

I tried this everose YM40 on in an AD about a month ago, thought it was a really good size and also shape of the case looked quite dressy. Also saw a TT everose YM40 both in the chocolate and Matt black dial versions. They really have a nice depth and character about the dials. The Rolex website photos of the TT really don’t do them justice compared to IRL, I think for someone interested in one browsing people’s photos on TRF or seeing one at an AD is much better

jack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 10:43 AM   #51
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebjorn View Post
Answer: there's lots of sheeps who buys into the SS sports rolex hype with edgy marketing companies i.e. Hodinkee.

Case & point there's so much hype in the polar explorer 16570... personally I think it's the most bland looking watch in the ss sports collection but for some reason it's trading a $7k USD..

For that money I would pick the 16622 in a heartbeat. It's a watch with 10x the finishing.
LOL, those are fighting words, my friend! I have a Polar X2 16570 coming in two days and would respectfully disagree with you; I find the X2's white Polar dial w/red GMT hand to be very handsome and understated while the 16622 is the 'polar' opposite for me: ungainly & showy.

But it's good to have different opinions!
Old 31 March 2020, 10:49 AM   #52
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
The bezel hard to save once dinged , very unforgiving
Theoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:05 AM   #53
EDL7
"TRF" Member

If James Bond had worn a YM instead of a Sub..
This thread would be..
Why is the Sub..so underrated
People would be sayin..that crummy overweight submariner is just an El Cheapo version of the YM..
And a ugly boring black dial and cheep bezel to boot..
Not worth my time..
A plebians..watch..haruumph..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:13 AM   #54
cj3209
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
If James Bond had worn a YM instead of a Sub..
This thread would be..
Why is the Sub..so underrated
People would be sayin..that crummy overweight submariner is just an El Cheapo version of the YM..
And a ugly boring black dial and cheep bezel to boot..
Not worth my time..
A plebians..watch..haruumph..
I'm sorry but James Bond would never wear a watch called the 'Yacht Master.'

Old 31 March 2020, 11:16 AM   #55
Bybybmw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I have a YG DDII and YG GMT-C green dial, plus a 40mm RG Cartier Ronde as a dress watch. About a year ago, I starting to give up hope on an MSRP Stainless Daytona. I sat down to consider the alternatives, I wanted a rotating bezel for timing steaks on the grill, I already had a GMT. That left me with the Sub or Yachty. To me the Yacht-Master is dressier than the Sub, with a more sleek case and has the robust platinum bezel. Plus it is a little more exclusive than the Sub, especially with the rhodium dial.

That is my watch. Love my YM and personally I am glad I own a Rolex that isn't a "must have". 100 feet is plenty even for scuba diving. I was told during my scuba certs that 100' is really about as deep as I should go without serious further training. As to scratching the bezel, well the truth is if you don't want to scratch/damage a bezel, you shouldn't even own it if you aren't going to wear it.
Bybybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:40 AM   #56
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj3209 View Post
LOL, those are fighting words, my friend! I have a Polar X2 16570 coming in two days and would respectfully disagree with you; I find the X2's white Polar dial w/red GMT hand to be very handsome and understated while the 16622 is the 'polar' opposite for me: ungainly & showy.

But it's good to have different opinions!
That's exactly the sentiment that's being spewed out from millennial watch influencers over the last 2 years... along with other popular tags such as 'under the radar' etc... call it however you want but really it's just bbbbboring.

In terms of discussion on quality, - the black markers on the 16570 literally comes off while the platinum 16622 will go ageless in time.

When you put the two watches side to side only the simps/wis/2020 rolex aficionados that got bought into the hype will prefer the exp2. Everyone else including your mom, dad, grandparents, boss and colleague will think the YM is a better investment for the money as it's a superior watch. End of story

But hey, your money, your taste.
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:42 AM   #57
Drpepper
"TRF" Member

Bezel makes it look like a cheap Rolex knockoff
Drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 11:55 AM   #58
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Completely agree. There is a chart floating around the forums of avg income levels of people that buy submariners. The reality is that most people are overextending themselves to get one.

The YM is a 'mostly' SS watch with a 5 figure price tag for a scratch prone bezel and a fairly simple complication. I just bought a blue dial 126622 so I obviously love this model but I can see why others don't gravitate toward it.

Interesting. I haven't seen that chart but that data is fascinating. It really speaks to Rolex as a brand... The watch that will make the white collar worker stretch his budget out for.

I really do like your watch though!

Old 31 March 2020, 12:05 PM   #59
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Why is yachtmaster so underrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
This might get some criticism but I have can imagine that people that spends over 8k really want their watch to be fully recognized as a Rolex and the YM flies a bit under the radar with the plat bezel that isn’t that Rolex-ish to common people...other things that has been discussed before is the “shadow” that occurs on the five digit YM bezel and is hard to get out without re-blasting it...last but not least, the bezel scratch very easily...to brighten up this post here is my two YM:s that I love!

Well done, LK! Beauties! My friend saw my 16622 platinum dial YM last week and said “nice Tag”. LOL . He owns a Rolex.

That goes to the point that people don’t know what a YM is. And most people, in general, don’t care what I’m wearing anyway.

My watches are just for me. I’m about the only one who cares.

Cheers.

Ps, gotta add the red date wheel!
Old 31 March 2020, 12:26 PM   #60
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
The YM is a 'mostly' SS watch with a 5 figure price tag for a scratch prone bezel and a fairly simple complication.
This pretty much sums it up for me, although I really like the blue sunburst dial.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote