The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Oldwilsonian
"TRF" Member

Advice needed for Breitling Purchase....

Considering a Breitling Bentley 6.75 s/s Bronze Havana Dial - 48mm
Ref. # A44362 with brown croc. strap.

Purchase will be from a private dealer, watch is new with tags, boxes & papers. Msrp - $8440, can potentially buy for mid $5k's.

Have seen the watch previously at an AD, the metallic bronze dial looks incredible and with the brown croc. strap offset with the white stitching, IMO, the watch is stunning.

Never owned a Breitling before - any thing to be aware of with this particular model? how is the residual value, for what I can purchase it for is that a fair market price? I have a 71/2 wrist, so even though it is a 48mm fitment will not be an issue. I would sincerely welcome any thoughts, advise or guidance.

Kind regards.
Oldwilsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2011, 11:03 AM   #2
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwilsonian View Post
Considering a Breitling Bentley 6.75 s/s Bronze Havana Dial - 48mm
Ref. # A44362 with brown croc. strap.

Purchase will be from a private dealer, watch is new with tags, boxes & papers. Msrp - $8440, can potentially buy for mid $5k's.

Have seen the watch previously at an AD, the metallic bronze dial looks incredible and with the brown croc. strap offset with the white stitching, IMO, the watch is stunning.

Never owned a Breitling before - any thing to be aware of with this particular model? how is the residual value, for what I can purchase it for is that a fair market price? I have a 71/2 wrist, so even though it is a 48mm fitment will not be an issue. I would sincerely welcome any thoughts, advise or guidance.

Kind regards.
is the watch on Tang or deplyant? also i belive that the bronze dial has been discontinued. not sure if that plays a factor in your decision process. another thing that you might want to do is get the dealer to take off the 6 oclock strap so you can see the production date. on the case between the 6 oclock lugs it will have a series of four numbers something like this "3809" basically the first 2 numbers are the week of the year and second two numbers are the year itself. so from my example that would make it the 38th week of 2009.

Since the bronze dial has been gone for a while this watch could be as old as 2007.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Oldwilsonian
"TRF" Member

Boogiebot - thank you for your reply.

If, indeed the watch is 3-4 years old, in your opinion would mid-$5k's be too much to pay for this particular model?

Also, how feasible is it that a watch could have been sitting around at an AD for a number of years before being "passed - on"? Is there possibly something negative about the watch? Apart from the obvious - that maybe I am the only one that likes it.....
Old 30 May 2011, 02:25 AM   #4
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Boogiebot - thank you for your reply.

If, indeed the watch is 3-4 years old, in your opinion would mid-$5k's be too much to pay for this particular model?

Also, how feasible is it that a watch could have been sitting around at an AD for a number of years before being "passed - on"? Is there possibly something negative about the watch? Apart from the obvious - that maybe I am the only one that likes it.....
I think that mid 5 would be fair. In terms of how feasible it is for that piece to be sitting around it depends on two things:

1) how busy is that location

2) was it a piece that was transferred over from another AD

The only thing that might be a negative is that the piece may need to go in earlier for service/overhaul than if the piece was just recently made. And resale value of bronze maybe hurt considering that most people will lean towards black or white dials.
Old 30 May 2011, 05:50 AM   #5
Oldwilsonian
"TRF" Member

I appreciate your comments - thank you.
Old 30 May 2011, 06:27 AM   #6
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I appreciate your comments - thank you.
np. if you do love the color i say go for it. afterall the watch has to look and feel good to you
Old 30 May 2011, 10:17 AM   #7
barstoolman
Banned

A minimum 33% off would be the most I would be willing to pay if in fact the watch is brand new..........Breitling's, as great and good looking as they are, do not hold their value. Make sure its a watch you love and you'll wear for years and that way, no regrets.

Good luck!!!!!!
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2011, 10:23 AM   #8
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolman View Post
A minimum 33% off would be the most I would be willing to pay if in fact the watch is brand new..........Breitling's, as great and good looking as they are, do not hold their value. Make sure its a watch you love and you'll wear for years and that way, no regrets.

Good luck!!!!!!
33% might be a bit deep. but i agree that you should try to get as much off as possible. great watches but resale is not good like barstoolman said.
Old 1 June 2011, 03:43 AM   #9
GFEAR
"TRF" Member

bronze dial is not discontinued, i am a breitling AD and i got that exact watch in brand new today from breitling.

GFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Oldwilsonian
"TRF" Member

Gfear - What is your msrp on this model?
Old 2 June 2011, 07:29 AM   #11
GFEAR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gfear - What is your msrp on this model?
pm sent
GFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote