The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
lwesterman01

Success or New Start Up Entrepreneurship is in are blood

Just thought I'd make a thread because I haven't scene one, but I started it for any entrepreneurs like my self to post and tell everyone what they do and how they got started and maybe give a few tips on anyone thinking about starting or just started a new business...

My Name is Logan I am sort of a Jack of all trades I guess.
Own a few small business

I build and maintain websites for a about 15 different clients right now but it is growing rapidly I have 3-4 websites I am working on currently for realtors in the local area and seems like I am probably get a tons more from referrals..

I also started a local cell phone repair and unlocking business. The repair side of it has been a little slow lately, but the unlocking has taken off.

I would love to build both businesses up and I am working tirelessly to do so. I wouldn't say I am a doing great but I am paying the bills with a wife, 2 kids, and 3 dogs I feel that I am doing pretty ok.

I would like to hear what everyone else is doing feel like this could be a fun and exciting thread and who knows could make a few good friends and contacts!
lwesterman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
rolio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Birdies
Just curious

what kind of websites do you build? Are they CMSs or are they full-blown, handrolled (code) sites? How is that end working? How long have you been at it, the website end?

Rolex~By way of an extraordinary life,
and all the simple pleasures it has to offer
~
rolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
lwesterman01

I mostly due CMS but I can do code sites as well. Just really depends on the clients needs and wants. I been doing it for about 5 years now. A buddy got me started he asked for help on building his and I said sure, didn't have a clue on how to do anything but I really got into it, I like the challenge of it. I think of websites as a grown up puzzle they are fun and seeing a finish website and a happy client is awesome.
Old 23 October 2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crude Prices
I have no clue what y'all are talking about, but I'm glad it's going well lol. Here's to continued success!

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2013, 12:50 PM   #5
lwesterman01

Appreciate it lol
Old 24 October 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
rolio
"TRF" Member

lwesterman01,

It can be very lucrative, I am told. I have a friend who does this. Do you offer a cafeteria plan, such as: CMS set-up, landing page=fee; SMedia set-up per =fee; Analytics set-up=fee; multiple pages=fee per page; monthly maintenance (hrs per month=fee); Analytics reading and analysis=fee. This is what he does. He says if he hustles he does very well...but he never talks numbers, though.

~
Old 24 October 2013, 03:01 AM   #7
lwesterman01

Ya you can really nickel and dime people especially if its a huge project.
I try to keep my pricing as simple as possible. I charge $300 for initial set up of the server, acquiring the domain, and landing page. From there I charge $100 for every additional basic text page and $200 for any page with a more then just text and I pic wanted. Then of course you can really get creative between, analytics, seo, and big money in e-commerce sites. There is a lot of money in it.

I really need to get out to more small local mom and pop stores. Most don't have a website and its is surprising how much it really helps. Everyone is so reliant on there smart phone for information and lets say you want a cheese burger you going to get mcdonalds, red robin, crap like that and people don't even realize that they can get an awesome burger from "Made like Dad's Restaurant" so the customer is missing out and the small business is missing out on a huge market.
Old 24 October 2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Post a link to your work so we can check it . . .

Anyone here that uses Volution, Shopify, etc

What is the best ?

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2013, 12:46 PM   #9
lwesterman01

I don't care for shopify I feel like you get screwed with the monthly fee + fee per transaction. Not the best solution. What are you selling?

Just a few of mine
http://ideviceguys.com <that is my unlocking business
http://mexiroo.com < someone else took it over but bits and pieces are mine (my opinion it looks like crap now)
http://san-antonio-home-remodeling.com
Old 24 October 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwesterman01 View Post
I don't care for shopify I feel like you get screwed with the monthly fee + fee per transaction. Not the best solution. What are you selling?

Just a few of mine
http://ideviceguys.com <that is my unlocking business
http://mexiroo.com < someone else took it over but bits and pieces are mine (my opinion it looks like crap now)
http://san-antonio-home-remodeling.com
Nothing for the moment but working on a project.
so I want to get started with the online store so that I can run it before the whole thing goes online.

But there are so many out there and what is good ?

Most of them ask a fee per transaction amount . . .

I noticed that you use OpenCard . . . is that OK ?

We'll . . . all help is welcome

HAGOne

Old 24 October 2013, 03:33 PM   #11
lwesterman01

Depending on how your wanting your site if it's strictly a store magneto is my favorite by far. Really allows you to be as detailed as you want on your products. More details = less disputes and more happy customers. Also it's not to hard to just pick up and start using. Takes about an hour to learn a day to master. Great base for customizing a site and give a great look.

Negrielectronics.com runs on magneto. To give you a real live taste of what it can offer.

There is of course a lot of others I have tried a few magneto is probably my favorite tho for a heavy product site.

I personally love anything that allows me to use PayPal as a merchant. Allows you to except credit cards and almost everyone has a PayPal account. Also gives you the ability to block certain countries that you don't want to deal with. But it really all depends on what all your selling and trying to do.

If you want to pm me what your doing I'd be more then happy to help you figure out what's best for what ever business your trying to start if you don't want to post it on here.
Old 24 October 2013, 03:34 PM   #12
lwesterman01

Sorry I probably missed a few comma's and stuff typing on my phone at the moment. :)
Old 25 October 2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry I probably missed a few comma's and stuff typing on my phone at the moment. :)
So do I . . . without iPhone . . .

HAGOne

Old 25 October 2013, 12:26 PM   #14
lwesterman01

Lol.
Old 25 October 2013, 02:54 PM   #15
faberge39
Banned

Success or New Start Up Entrepreneurship is in are blood

Quote:
Just thought I'd make a thread because I haven't scene one, but I started it for any entrepreneurs like my self to post and tell everyone what they do and how they got started and maybe give a few tips on anyone thinking about starting or just started a new business...

My Name is Logan I am sort of a Jack of all trades I guess.
Own a few small business

I build and maintain websites for a about 15 different clients right now but it is growing rapidly I have 3-4 websites I am working on currently for realtors in the local area and seems like I am probably get a tons more from referrals..

I also started a local cell phone repair and unlocking business. The repair side of it has been a little slow lately, but the unlocking has taken off.

I would love to build both businesses up and I am working tirelessly to do so. I wouldn't say I am a doing great but I am paying the bills with a wife, 2 kids, and 3 dogs I feel that I am doing pretty ok.

I would like to hear what everyone else is doing feel like this could be a fun and exciting thread and who knows could make a few good friends and contacts!
I am an event and film producer based in Los Angeles, CA. We focus on social events like weddings, birthday parties and etc. We've been entertaining a few corporate gigs as well. Officially started in 2010 and I could say that business is treating me and my family good for the last 3 years. Business was pretty challenging in the beginning but is now self-sustaining.. My website works for me now (www.solano888.com) Could not ask for more... :) I used to work for an advertising company marketing websites in Burbank in 2010 and I must say that it's a pretty good source of income especially if you have regular clients. Residual income is always present in that industry especially with the maintenance. Try adding an in-house blogger, a salesman and a creative artist and you got yourself a Marketing Firm! ;) Good luck Logan! :)

=======================
"Never regret the things that made you smile cuz at some point, you wanted it."
faberge39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2013, 02:58 PM   #16
faberge39
Banned

Quote:
Ya you can really nickel and dime people especially if its a huge project.
I try to keep my pricing as simple as possible. I charge $300 for initial set up of the server, acquiring the domain, and landing page. From there I charge $100 for every additional basic text page and $200 for any page with a more then just text and I pic wanted. Then of course you can really get creative between, analytics, seo, and big money in e-commerce sites. There is a lot of money in it.

I really need to get out to more small local mom and pop stores. Most don't have a website and its is surprising how much it really helps. Everyone is so reliant on there smart phone for information and lets say you want a cheese burger you going to get mcdonalds, red robin, crap like that and people don't even realize that they can get an awesome burger from "Made like Dad's Restaurant" so the customer is missing out and the small business is missing out on a huge market.
Hahaha!! Totally agree with you! Why don't you bring up the importance of SEOs too??! ;)

=======================
Old 25 October 2013, 05:04 PM   #17
lwesterman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberge39 View Post
Hahaha!! Totally agree with you! Why don't you bring up the importance of SEOs too??! ;)

=======================
Do you want me to get a headache on what all goes into SEO.
Meta,tags,back links, pings, keywords, phrase, etc etc etc oh and etc lol

Oh and now social networking is playing a factor in everything its just getting crazy
Old 25 October 2013, 05:09 PM   #18
faberge39
Banned

Quote:
Do you want me to get a headache on what all goes into SEO.
Meta,tags,back links, pings, keywords, phrase, etc etc etc oh and etc lol

Oh and now social networking is playing a factor in everything its just getting crazy
More headache = More Work = More $$$ = More Leisure/Toys

You're welcome! :)

=======================
Old 25 October 2013, 05:10 PM   #19
lwesterman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberge39 View Post
More headache = More Work = More $$$ = More Leisure/Toys

You're welcome! :)

=======================
Speaking the truth
Old 25 October 2013, 05:41 PM   #20
faberge39
Banned

Quote:
Speaking the truth
Yup!

=======================
Old 26 October 2013, 12:22 PM   #21
rolio
"TRF" Member

If Google comes out and says that the most important thing to consider is new and fresh content, content, and more content, does that suggest that algorithms are re-tooled with a different purpose? Has its focus changed? If it's a static page only, B2B, lead generation, SEO is all important, I would assume. What about an e-commerce site, where one has to decide $ (budget) for SEO or fresh content, but not both?

~
Old 26 October 2013, 01:15 PM   #22
lwesterman01

It couldn't be just based just on fresh content because of that every reason as e-commerce sites wouldn't get page recognition's. Example if someone googles a product they would most likely pull up a review on the product on a 3rd part site not the actually website that the product is sold on.
From running my own e-commerce sites I would say back linking is most important for them. Reason is it verifies your store and or product. Being mentioned on other creditable sites pulls both sites up.
Old 26 October 2013, 11:14 PM   #23
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
There's no better life if you can make it work
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2013, 05:43 AM   #24
lwesterman01

Winning the Lotto would be a good life lol.
But I don't know if you would have the same feeling or respect for the life style
Old 27 October 2013, 10:21 AM   #25
lwesterman01

Side note I need to find me $3200 I found a great condition Sub here local and I really really want it but my wife is looking at me like she might beat me. So taking that as a no.... lol