The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2018, 06:04 AM   #31
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
To me listing your GPA only shows me that you've accomplished little to nothing in life except school.
I hire from experience and drive not your ability to take a test. - Just me 2 cents ...
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:09 AM   #32
Star Ferry
Banned

I think this is dependent on job type. Most sales and business employers probably don't care about GPA. Matters a lot for entry level investment banking and alternative investment funds, less so for sales, trading and brokerage.

Law and medical schools care a lot, as do doctoral programs. Business schools care but less so. Tech firms care more about hard
skills and experience.

generally, more experience a job requires, the more college name and performance will fade in importance
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 09:43 AM   #33
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Resume question for those who do the hiring

1. If you have relevant job experience in the position for which you may apply, it matters more than a GPA.

If none, then go to 2.

2. If you have academic awards, Phi Beta Kappa, etc., they matter more than a GPA.

If none, then go to 3.

3. If you are credited/cited for important, published academic work in your field, that matters more than a GPA.

If none of the above, then you may as well mention it as it could never hurt. You never know what might be a tie-breaker.

I did consider it if the person came out of a particularly competitive university - but only in the absence of other relevant Achievements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 11:31 AM   #34
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Thanks everyone for all the input. I can certainly see the consistency in the replies! I am in a unique situation having retired from one career, then completed both degrees, and now seeking out career number two; this applies a unique twist to the usual "rules and protocols".
Thanks again all.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 01:02 PM   #35
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
20 years ago, during an interview at one of the biggest brokerage houses on Wall Street, I was asked what my SAT scores were. I am not saying put that on your resume, but just remember what you got.

I still find it kind of funny that he asked, but it was part of the “interrogation” that was the interview process for a spot on a ~500-person trading floor. It was a great firm with smart and talented people that I enjoyed working for.