The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 12 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #1
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Date just 41 suddenly loosing 5 seconds per day

Have had the watch for Just under one year. Was running a fraction a second slow a day up until a few weeks ago when I noticed it was off. After checking looks like about 5 seconds a day slow.

No really hard bumps but have hit door knobs etc. Any ideas? I am going to take it to authorized Rolex repair in town for a diagnostic but wanted to see what you guys thought?

Will fill up once done and let you know what they say but it may be a week or two.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:25 AM   #2
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Magnetized possibly

All word done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.

Rolliworks San Francisco CA
415-504-1177 contact@rolliworks.com
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 08:52 AM   #3
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
You mention that you've had it for less than a year, was it new when you bought it? If not, do you know when it was last serviced? Cheers. -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoone View Post
Have had the watch for Just under one year. Was running a fraction a second slow a day up until a few weeks ago when I noticed it was off. After checking looks like about 5 seconds a day slow.

No really hard bumps but have hit door knobs etc. Any ideas? I am going to take it to authorized Rolex repair in town for a diagnostic but wanted to see what you guys thought?

Will fill up once done and let you know what they say but it may be a week or two.
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 09:18 AM   #4
JBoone
"TRF" Member

New when purchased. I am hoping magnatized
Old 12 September 2018, 02:10 PM   #5
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
New when purchased. I am hoping magnatized
Humm..doesn't sound like magnetization... Could be one of the car door bumps knocked beat error out

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2018, 01:01 PM   #6
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Humm..doesn't sound like magnetization... Could be one of the car door bumps knocked beat error out
Thank you. I assume the store will put in on a timegraher. I don’t understand necessarily but will post the results.

My intrewebz reading on maganatazation makes me think would be gaining or losing more than 5-6 a day. My eta and Sellita movements are in about the same range (1k watches). Obviously something happened. Was pretty crazy how accurate it was until a few weeks ago.
Old 15 September 2018, 09:17 PM   #7
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
You need to leave with it a watchmaker who will take his or her time to figure it out. Not one that will simply adjust while you wait, type of thing. Leave with the watchmaker for a week so they canreally analyze what is going on !
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Easy process for a watch maker to determine if it is magnetized. They will also tell you the timing once they get it on the machine. I hope that it is something simple. If not, it is a warranty issue and will be repaired. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:45 AM   #9
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Watch was magnetized. Just got back from store.
Old 19 September 2018, 11:08 AM   #10
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

More often than not it’s the cause. Even so, its usually the answer people are the most resistant to. Never understood why. Quick demag and you’re back stylin. Should be a good thing.

All work done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
Old 19 September 2018, 12:24 PM   #11
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
More often than not it’s the cause. Even so, its usually the answer people are the most resistant to. Never understood why. Quick demag and you’re back stylin. Should be a good thing.

Free to fix local it is a beautiful thing!
I am a happy camper.

Edit: will not need your services for a while but am very impressed by your work!
Old 19 September 2018, 05:47 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Watch was magnetized. Just got back from store.
I would doubt that as in general when any movement is magnetised they speed up and not slow down.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I would doubt that as in general when any movement is magnetised they speed up and not slow down.
I agree a Peter.

I am not sure if some understand the effect of a strong magnet on the hairspring.

Usually it will tangle the spring and shorten the amplitude to a very fast rate?

I can’t see how magnetism could slow an escapement but the professionals here will help me out?

Hope you are keeping well.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 06:30 PM   #14
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Fast, slow, stop entirely, it really depends. Other parts besides the balance can get magnetized. Magnetism can create friction that ultimately decreases rate and amplitude. Glad to hear the demag resolved the issue. It’s one of the first things we check after wind and initial timing.

Old 20 September 2018, 12:20 AM   #15
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Whatever they did seemed to have worked. I set it 19 hours ago and it is one second slow over that time period. I know they did not open the case as I was only there for about 10-15 min.
I thought the parachrom hairspring was impervious to magnetization so something else must have been effected.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:57 PM   #16
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever they did seemed to have worked. I set it 19 hours ago and it is one second slow over that time period. I know they did not open the case as I was only there for about 10-15 min.
I thought the parachrom hairspring was impervious to magnetization so something else must have been effected.

Exactly. If the hairspring was magnetized it would run faster. Most likely as Rolliworks said some other part was magnetized causing friction. Glad they got it running right again for you! Keep us posted if anything changes.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 23 September 2018, 04:43 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Exactly. If the hairspring was magnetized it would run faster. Most likely as Rolliworks said some other part was magnetized causing friction. Glad they got it running right again for you! Keep us posted if anything changes.

Yep, but not always as super fast or erratic as most people might think, a slight bit of magentism can have two hairspring windings stick together resulting in something like 20-30sec fast a day.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 05:38 AM   #18
~Haze~
"TRF" Member

I had this problem on an AK a few years back and sent it in to RSC but I was losing more like 2 minutes per day. It came back working perfectly but it was said to be “very dusty”. I still don’t understand how dust can get in place where water can’t considering it’s water resistance.
~Haze~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 05:58 AM   #19
nboyer
"TRF" Member

I just bought one of these. It works very well with wristwatches. I was using one of those blue Chinese demagnetizers before getting this one. However, and to my disappointment, the Magtest does not work well for pocket watches. I had demagnetized one of my pocket watches with the Chinese demag. Then I though what the heck let me try it on the Magtest. It actually MAGNETIZED it. I could not demagnetize it after several rounds. I pulled out the Chinese one and it demagnetized it with no problems. I verified that it was demagnetized by testing it on the Magtest. The only thing I could figure is that the Magtest has a smaller working area strictly for wristwatches. Hmmf, for the price I would think it could handle it all! Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Fast, slow, stop entirely, it really depends. Other parts besides the balance can get magnetized. Magnetism can create friction that ultimately decreases rate and amplitude. Glad to hear the demag resolved the issue. It’s one of the first things we check after wind and initial timing.

Old 27 September 2018, 06:23 AM   #20
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyer View Post
I just bought one of these. It works very well with wristwatches. I was using one of those blue Chinese demagnetizers before getting this one. However, and to my disappointment, the Magtest does not work well for pocket watches. I had demagnetized one of my pocket watches with the Chinese demag. Then I though what the heck let me try it on the Magtest. It actually MAGNETIZED it. I could not demagnetize it after several rounds. I pulled out the Chinese one and it demagnetized it with no problems. I verified that it was demagnetized by testing it on the Magtest. The only thing I could figure is that the Magtest has a smaller working area strictly for wristwatches. Hmmf, for the price I would think it could handle it all! Cheers! -Norm

The detect feature provides a nice graphic we can send to clients. Often clients are absolutely 100% positive without a doubt that they movement isnt magnetized. Often it is.

Old 27 September 2018, 06:54 AM   #21
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Exactly! Cheers. -Norm

Quote:
The detect feature provides a nice graphic we can send to clients. Often clients are absolutely 100% positive without a doubt that they movement isnt magnetized. Often it is.

Old 27 September 2018, 08:54 PM   #22
yellowsubmarin
"TRF" Member

5 seconds off from magnetisation? Sounds strange, its usually way more off.
yellowsubmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:26 AM   #23
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Update - something still seems amis. After the demag it went to about 2.5 seconds slow per day. I wore it for a couple of weeks and decided to let it fully power down for first time since owning it 11 months. Gave it 40 winds and back on wrist yesterday. Seems to be around 4 seconds slow now.

I bought this from a grey so not sure I want them touching it. I think I will take it to authorizes Rolex repair who originally demagnatized and have them regulate.

Comments? Advice (other than don’t buy from grey !)
Old 9 October 2018, 12:28 AM   #24
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update - something still seems amis. After the demag it went to about 2.5 seconds slow per day. I wore it for a couple of weeks and decided to let it fully power down for first time since owning it 11 months. Gave it 40 winds and back on wrist yesterday.

I bought this from a grey so not sure I want them touching it. I think I will take it to authorizes Rolex repair who originally demagnatized and have them regulate.

A simple regulation and adjustment should take care of the timing issue.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 October 2018, 01:16 AM   #25
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A simple regulation and adjustment should take care of the timing issue.

Local Rolex tech said no to regulation would be full service only since grey. Hmmm, not going to do that but don’t want to live with 3 seconds slow.
Old 9 October 2018, 01:43 AM   #26
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Update - something still seems amis. After the demag it went to about 2.5 seconds slow per day. I wore it for a couple of weeks and decided to let it fully power down for first time since owning it 11 months. Gave it 40 winds and back on wrist yesterday. Seems to be around 4 seconds slow now.

Give Rik Dietel a call at Time Care Inc. He can diagnose and regulate your watch without a full service. Quoted me $30 for a regulation+ shipping. Give him a brief history of how the watch is acting, what you have had done. He has been in the watchmaking gig for a long time.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 01:51 AM   #27
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Not sure where in NC you are. But, I'm up in North Georgia.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 05:47 AM   #28
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Any update on this?

I have a new DJ41. I ran it non stop (wearing it) for a full month, and it only picked up like 7 seconds. Now, all of a sudden, it's 15 seconds slow (it ran fast before) after setting it about 5 days ago.

Not bad, but weird how it changes all of a sudden.

Can watched get magnetized from guitar pick-ups? Or from magnets in laptop cases?
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2018, 07:17 PM   #29
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Any update on this?

I have a new DJ41. I ran it non stop (wearing it) for a full month, and it only picked up like 7 seconds. Now, all of a sudden, it's 15 seconds slow (it ran fast before) after setting it about 5 days ago.

Not bad, but weird how it changes all of a sudden.

Can watched get magnetized from guitar pick-ups? Or from magnets in laptop cases?

Yep.

Old 27 November 2018, 05:16 AM   #30
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I gave it a good wind, and it's running well again. Now it seems to run about -1 to -2 per day. Before It was about +.3 per day, seemingly every day.

I think it must be down to the fullness of the wind. When it was running +.3 per day, I was not winding it, but wearing it 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Then I wound it up and it went to running slow. It did seem to loose the 5 seconds a day for a few days after that full wind. But I wound it again and carefully checked the time, and seems in spec again.

No sweat, plenty accurate, but I thought it was weird that it went from a steady +.3 a day to -5, then to -2 per day.

I've let it die at home, since I'm on a non-rolex conducive vacation. When I get back, I'll give her a full 40 and check the timing out again for a week or so.

I'll report back..if I remember.

Thanks!
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote