The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 September 2018, 01:25 AM   #1
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
DJ41 Accuracy

When new a year ago my DJ41 (126333) was -2s/day out of the box with 24/7 wear. Leaving it dial up overnight helped it gain that back. Over about 6 months it drifted to -4s/day and dial up had little effect, maybe a 1 second gain.

I had it regulated by a watchmaker at an AD two months ago (quite a distance away). To my amazement it was +/- 0s/day worn 24/7. That lasted about two weeks. Now it has drifted back to -4 s/day again. Dial up overnight once again seems to have no effect. I can live with -4 if it's consistent but am monitoring to see if it gets worse.

I find it odd that after regulation it drifted so much. There have been no shocks, drops, etc. to do any damage. Could I possibly have a movement issue that needs to be checked under warranty?
Old 14 September 2018, 01:40 AM   #2
DaveGTturbo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
When new a year ago my DJ41 (126333) was -2s/day out of the box with 24/7 wear. Leaving it dial up overnight helped it gain that back. Over about 6 months it drifted to -4s/day and dial up had little effect, maybe a 1 second gain.

I had it regulated by a watchmaker at an AD two months ago (quite a distance away). To my amazement it was +/- 0s/day worn 24/7. That lasted about two weeks. Now it has drifted back to -4 s/day again. Dial up overnight once again seems to have no effect. I can live with -4 if it's consistent but am monitoring to see if it gets worse.

I find it odd that after regulation it drifted so much. There have been no shocks, drops, etc. to do any damage. Could I possibly have a movement issue that needs to be checked under warranty?
The rolex movement isn't the best tbh, I don't know much about the newer movements but I should expect its regulated much like the 3135 being a free sprung balance. Where the actual timing is done by microstella nuts, the beat arm only regulates beat error. I would say take it back in and have them investigate fully.

But +/-2 s/d over 6 positions is the industry standard for rolex unfortunately.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
DaveGTturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 01:03 PM   #3
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:

That is odd that it would readjust slow again. I always prefer my watches to be in the + region if anything. I adjusted both my new Sub C and BLNR after i bought them as initially they were running around -1 or 2 in 6 positions. Its frustrating that after servicing my 1570 i'm at +1 per week where the newer movement isn't coming close. Sometimes its just a matter of trial and error until you get it right. Microstella adjustments are very delicate procedures. I would give your watchmaker one more go at it and tell him to set it at +2.. so if it backs off again at least you'll be closer to 0. If you bring to RSC they will probably just say its in spec after all COSC is -4/+6.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:04 PM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
That is odd that it would readjust slow again. I always prefer my watches to be in the + region if anything. I adjusted both my new Sub C and BLNR after i bought them as initially they were running around -1 or 2 in 6 positions. Its frustrating that after servicing my 1570 i'm at +1 per week where the newer movement isn't coming close. Sometimes its just a matter of trial and error until you get it right. Microstella adjustments are very delicate procedures. I would give your watchmaker one more go at it and tell him to set it at +2.. so if it backs off again at least you'll be closer to 0. If you bring to RSC they will probably just say its in spec after all COSC is -4/+6.

But it isn't in Rolex spec and RSC should recognise that. Microstella adjustments are quick and easy and if they have an automatic Witschi they know the result of every position within 5minutes...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 03:20 PM   #5
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
But it isn't in Rolex spec and RSC should recognise that. Microstella adjustments are quick and easy and if they have an automatic Witschi they know the result of every position within 5minutes...
And what exactly is "rolex spec"? Years before watchmaking I took a 5513 to my local RSC.. it was running +10 asked them to regulate and they said "its within spec for that reference" and just gave it back without adjusting. Might be worth at least calling them before making the trip if they're going to hand the watch back...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 25 September 2018, 03:25 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
And what exactly is "rolex spec"? Years before watchmaking I took a 5513 to my local RSC.. it was running +10 asked them to regulate and they said "its within spec for that reference" and just gave it back without adjusting. Might be worth at least calling them before making the trip if they're going to hand the watch back...
+10 is indeed acceptable for a 15×× calibre.

Old 25 September 2018, 03:32 PM   #7
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
+10 is indeed acceptable for a 15×× calibre.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised they even consider that rate acceptable for the chronometer certified 15xx with free sprung balance... very surprising.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 25 September 2018, 03:34 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised they even consider that rate acceptable for the chronometer certified 15xx with free sprung balance... very surprising.
15×× are a hit or miss, same as 2030... Sometimes do work great and sometimes they just don't, even though everything is thoroughly checked and replaced as needed... I think Rolex knows this thus they make the goal a little more achievable.
Old 25 September 2018, 03:36 PM   #9
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
15×× are a hit or miss, same as 2030... Sometimes do work great and sometimes they just don't, even though everything is thoroughly checked and replaced as needed... I think Rolex knows this thus they make the goal a little more achievable.
Makes sense. I wonder how long after the 15xx movements were introduced this chart was printed...

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 26 September 2018, 01:01 AM   #10
Annan
"TRF" Member

I've continued to monitor since my original post on 9/13. As of today it's averaging -6s/day. I plan to take it back to the AD watchmaker for another check.
Old 26 September 2018, 01:22 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I've continued to monitor since my original post on 9/13. As of today it's averaging -6s/day. I plan to take it back to the AD watchmaker for another check.
If I was you I would sell that extremely to you inaccurate DJ41 watch, as IMHO you will never be satisfied.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:41 AM   #12
Annan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If I was you I would sell that extremely to you inaccurate DJ41 watch, as IMHO you will never be satisfied.
Peter....with all due respect to you as a TRF moderator you need to let members express their questions, concerns, opinions without being so critical. Have a good day and move on, sir.
Old 26 September 2018, 02:37 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Peter....with all due respect to you as a TRF moderator you need to let members express their questions, concerns, opinions without being so critical. Have a good day and move on, sir.
Well you posted your concerns in the Rolex forum about a drift of 4 seconds with the same watch. I just wonder what the original timing spec when you first sent your watch in for adjustment regulation with your watchmaker if I remember think it was showing around -4 seconds a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 02:54 AM   #14
Annan
"TRF" Member

When new a year ago it was -2s/day. Over about 6 months it drifted to -4s/day and dial up had little effect, maybe a 1 second gain.

Two months ago I had it regulated by a watchmaker at an AD. He verified it was -4 s/day. After regulation it was +/- 0s/day. That lasted about two weeks. Now it has drifted to -6 s/day. Dial up overnight seems to have no effect.
Old 30 September 2018, 02:30 PM   #15
Annan
"TRF" Member

I returned it to the watchmaker who did the regulation. He confirmed something is wrong that a simple regulation will not fix and is sending it to RSC for work under warranty. Even when fully wound "the power is low". I'm assuming this has something to do with amplitude?? .