The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 September 2019, 01:03 AM   #121
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
This is great, but my understanding is that the modern Breguet is completely different company than the original Breguet.
No, it's literally been in continuous production since 1775.

It has changed owners and, as I said the late Nicolas Hayek bought it last and will be keeping it in the family, although Emmanuel Breguet plays an important role in the company.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 01:08 AM   #122
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
The one thing I despise about Breguet is that their sports watches use some dreadful Arial font for the numerals on the dial instead of the classic Breguet numerals. It’s the only reason I haven’t bought one. They look like they were printed from Microsoft word.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 02:11 AM   #123
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
The original A.L. Breguet invented the tourbillon, shock protection, the hugely influential natural escapement, started the use of guilloché for watch dials, and one of the first chronographs, among other things. The late Nicolas Hayek bought Breguet (which has been in continuous production since its founding) with the intention of fully restoring it to glory. Modern Breguet has more innovation and patents than any other high-end brand, with a ton of patents for things such as magnetic pivots in the GPHG grand prize winning 7727 Classique Chronometrie and magnetic regulators for minute a minute repeater, as well as new escapements (at least one of these is in development currently). I guess you can research it if you want to know more.
The person to whom I was responding was referring to modern, but here's research for AP's miniscule achievements for you to compare with.

Quote:
Innovations
Through the years, AP adopted avant-garde techniques and developed many innovations including world firsts in the fine watchmaking history. Its two world firsts were the smallest five-minute repeater caliber and the jumping second hand (i.e. the second hand jumps from second to second in quanta rather than progressively) pocket watch. Other inventions were the thinnest watch and the first skeleton watch.

In 1882, Audemars Piguet began producing complication watches.[6] The Swiss brand started to be known as the leader of the firsts in the watch making industry.[12] In 1889, Jules-Louis and Edward-Auguste exhibited some of their more complicated watches at the Universal exposition in Paris, France.[12] In 1891, they created the smallest repeater movement in the world (18mm diameter).[7] One year later, they launched the first minute repeater watch.[12]

In 1893, Audemars Piguet began making wristwatches[7] and produced the first wrist minute repeater in the world for Louis Brandt.[7] Three years later, the "Grande Complication" pocket watch was launched.[6] It was equipped with grand and small strike, minute repeater, perpetual calendar, deadbeat seconds, chronograph with jumping seconds and split-seconds hand.[6] In 1915, Audemars Piguet presented its Grande Complication collection which featured 400 pieces.[7] The same year, the company created the smallest five-minute repeater movement.[12]

In 1920, the company produced a sophisticated fob watch comprising 16 complications (tourbillon, large and small chime, equation of time indicator, perpetual calendar, sidereal time indicator, and a blue enamel dial engraved with 315 stars which reproduced the night sky above London, where the watch was delivered.[7] One year later, the first jumping-hour wristwatch emerged from the AP workshops.[6] In 1925, Audemars Piguet introduced the world's slimmest pocket watch (1.32mm).[7][13] In 1929, for the first time, sales of wristwatches outstripped sales of fob watches[7] but with the 1929 stock market crash followed by the Great Depression, consumers could no longer buy expensive watches[12] and the company was forced to lay off most of its employees.[12]

Starting in 1932, sales rebounded and Audemars Piguet continued its development.[12] In 1934, AP developed the first skeleton watch, a watch making specialty forgotten since the 18th century.[7] The skeleton watch allowed the moving parts of the caliber to be seen beneath the dial.

The two world wars were very tough times for companies. As the others, Audemars Piguet had suffered. During this period only two watchmakers were working for the company. Few timepieces were created. The Women Jewelry timepiece dated 1932 was one of them.[2]

After World War II AP was able to rebound on the market by producing a range of ultra-thin chronograph models. In 1946, Audemars Piguet created the smallest mechanical caliber in the world (1.64mm).[7] The sales of Audemars Piguet started growing in the 1950s and 1960s.[12]

In 1955 Audemars Piguet introduced world's first perpetual calendar wristwatch with leap year indicator ref. 5516.

In 1967, the company developed the world's thinnest automatic movement (2.45mm) with a gold central rotor.[7]

After the 70s, AP continued to release a number of industry firsts, such as the ultra-thin perpetual calendar wristwatch with central rotor, self-winding ultra-thin tourbillon, self-winding grand complication, wristwatch equation of time with perpetual calendar, and high frequency chronometer with double-balance AP Escapement.

In 1986, AP invented the first self-winding ultra-thin wristwatch with a second time zone.[7] The tourbillon carriage was then the smallest ever made.[6] The company also launched a rectangular wristwatch with minute repeater and jumping hour, composed of 412 pieces, and a ladies' watch with minute repeater and carillon.[7] In 2000 came the launch of "Tradition d'Excellence", a collection of crafted timepieces showcasing traditional and innovative complications.[6] In 2005, Audemars Piguet sold the Edward Piguet Moss Agate Tourbillon, the first watch made with moss agate.[6]

In 2006 the company presented the fifth timepiece of the Tradition d'Excellence collection, inspired by an 18th-century design by watchmaker Robert Robin (1742–1799).[6] This watch was made in platinum, in a limited edition of 20 watches.[6]

That year Audemars Piguet introduced AP escapement, a lubricant-free escapement that beats at 43200 bph (6 Hz). The innovative design combines the reliability of a traditional Swiss lever escapement with high efficiency of a direct impulse escapement thus ensuring the optimal energy transmission and longer power reserve. The adjustment of the escapement is assured by two hairsprings placed on top of each other but offset at 180°. This particular disposition optimizes the mechanical precision by automatically compensating for possible defects in the equilibrium of the balance. It also allows for the replacement of the terminal curve, which is very delicate to make by a single spring barrel, thus allowing for better regulation.

In 2007, Audemars Piguet crafted the first case in forged carbon.[6]

Audemars Piguet is the most frequent winner of the Grand Prix d'Horlogerie de Genève.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:21 AM   #124
kunlun
"TRF" Member

That doesn't really compare to Breguet, but sure AP is a fine brand. Just maybe the code 11:59 needs some work.
Old 3 September 2019, 04:40 AM   #125
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
The person to whom I was responding was referring to modern, but here's research for AP's miniscule achievements for you to compare with.
I was referring to both, historical and modern AP. Historically, I never stated AP were insignificant, simply that Breguet are more important (as evidenced previously).
As evidenced by you, since 2000 (modern AP) there hasn't been much to hang their hat on imho. A 6hz movement in 2006 (Breguet released a 10hz movement in 2014) and the first forged carbon case. Great. Since that time, Lange have created a Triple Split chrono and a stop seconds tourbillon (to my knowledge the only company to be able to achieve either).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 04:41 AM   #126
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It’s kind of like asking why the sky is blue.

There’s a simple answer which can be understood by most (it just is) and a more complex answer which would probably escape a majority of inquisitions who felt compelled to ask such a thing, as opposed to go and find out.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2019, 06:16 AM   #127
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

There’s a simple answer which can be understood by most (it just is) and a more complex answer which would probably escape a majority of inquisitions who felt compelled to ask such a thing, as opposed to go and find out.
Great post. Thread closed IMO

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2019, 08:21 AM   #128
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

Pretty much sums it up ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 05:52 AM   #129
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
No, it's literally been in continuous production since 1775.

It has changed owners and, as I said the late Nicolas Hayek bought it last and will be keeping it in the family, although Emmanuel Breguet plays an important role in the company.
I was under the impression that they gave up on watches and started building planes instead in the 30’s or so. If they were continuously producing watches, where are all their vintage wrist watches? I have seen extremely few of them around in comparison to PP, VC, AP. Are there any good books on Breguet that covers the last century? It is an intriguing brand.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 07:37 AM   #130
kunlun
"TRF" Member

In the 30s you had low production from a number of high end brands, but Breguet still made watches. There is a coffee table book on Breguet's whole history for $200 you can get which is pretty exhaustive. There is a $35 dollar one focusing on 1775-1815 or so which is nice.
Old 4 September 2019, 08:12 PM   #131
Pongster
"TRF" Member

https://swissdiverswatches.com/blog/...brands-ranking
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 09:31 PM   #132
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Don't think anyone buying a VC is worried about value retention. They wouldn't be buying one in the first place if monetary value is the priority. You're expected to be losing a couple of grand but that's ok. The people I've met wearing VCs is just a different crowd.
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 09:59 PM   #133
TJMike
Banned

Another reason why:
https://www.revolution.watch/vachero...de-vache-1955/
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:07 PM   #134
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMike View Post
THIS will bring me back to VC!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:41 PM   #135
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Wow. A SS CdV is a fantastic move by VC. Beautiful chrono.

Old 5 September 2019, 01:13 AM   #136
somebodyy
Banned

This watch in steel is nothing new. There was a collab with Hodinkee back in 2017 which looks a lot better!
somebodyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 01:46 AM   #137
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther89 View Post
No one raps about VC because they’re not popular - why is Rolex considered possibly THE watch brand? Because they are WANTED (whether people agree with it or not). VC is not wanted by many at all
That's what I like most about them. Along with a simple Calatrava, VC is top of the top for me.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 02:04 AM   #138
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyy View Post
This watch in steel is nothing new. There was a collab with Hodinkee back in 2017 which looks a lot better!
Agree that the Hodinkee collab looks a little cleaner, and it's probably my favorite Hodinkee collab to date (along with the LM101). But, this recent release is a step in the right direction for VC.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 06:40 AM   #139
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
So where are all the wrist shots of VC’s ?
Would love to see them .
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 01:54 PM   #140
Plastique999
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Toledo 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post

Would love to see them .

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2019, 02:03 PM   #141
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post

Sent from my Zeitwerk
The Gold reference is gorgeous!!!
Beautiful watches , thank you !!!
Old 6 September 2019, 03:58 PM   #142
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastique999 View Post

Sent from my Zeitwerk
Thanks for sharing. The dial on the dial time looks great. Other two are not half bad either!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2019, 05:15 AM   #143
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would love to see them .

kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:18 AM   #144
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
Another beautiful reference... Fantastic!!!
Old 7 September 2019, 06:35 AM   #145
Cerachrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller Blue
Love my Overseas

Cerachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 01:14 PM   #146
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Would love to see them .

Old 7 September 2019, 01:42 PM   #147
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

Beautiful, love the blue dial !
Old 8 September 2019, 01:43 AM   #148
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Beautiful, love the blue dial !

Thank you :)

A few years back, my wife said she’d buy me any watch that I wanted. I looked around for about a year at all brands and all watches.

This Vacheron is and remains my favorite watch on the market. My wife and I also had a private tour of Vacheron last year, which furthered my connection to and love of the house.

Old 11 September 2019, 07:51 AM   #149
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-wrist-b.JPG (113.5 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg VC1-m.JPG (132.5 KB, 370 views)
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 04:08 PM   #150
tom2517
"TRF" Member

There are some that believes VC makes better watches than Patek, they are just not as good at marketing.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote