The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2019, 02:24 AM   #91
AndyWright
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deepsea
I have owned Omega in the past, very stylish with sleek designs. Both are excellent watches in their own right, but maybe thats because I love a good watch when I see it. I only own Rolex now, still No prejudice here.
AndyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 01:03 PM   #92
britabroad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SBGV245
Revive an old thread.

So Omega has poor resale value compared to Rolex. Agreed

Also agree buy pre-owned for Omega otherwise you get hit really bad on the $.

However buy pre-owned and flip you then still get hit bad % but overall less $ loss.
britabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 10:31 PM   #93
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
Revive an old thread.

However buy pre-owned and flip you then still get hit bad % but overall less $ loss.
That's only a half truth, seeing as speedmaster moonwatches have good resale value.

Also, Cellini. Also, Air-King and so on.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:07 PM   #94
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I buy watches I like, do not expect to sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
Revive an old thread.

But I have sold many in my time. I am with the buy what you like school, regardless of status or resale value.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:09 PM   #95
Nerdywatch2
Banned

Both watches are awesome thanks.
Nerdywatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:58 PM   #96
jdw003
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509
I’ve been considering this topic recently since I just parted with the last Rolex in my case. I’ve purchased 6 Rolexes, sold 5 and gifted one. I’ve purchased 4 Omegas, gifted one and kept 3. The Omega ownership experience is decidedly different, for me anyway. My appreciation for Rolex is rooted in their brand strategy and manufacturing processes, the tolerances on every modern Rolex are unbelievable for the scale of production.
My appreciation for Omega is in the subtle and not so subtle details that separate the vast number of variants in each line. I was in a large AD the other day and the Omega case was so interesting. Omegas are more personal.

I’ll continue to buy Rolexes and undoubtedly continue to sell Rolexes. My Omegas will be there when the honeymoon ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jdw003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:14 AM   #97
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I’ve also owned both brands and would put Rolex and Omega on equal footing.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 06:10 AM   #98
skiahh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, X-33
Bought an Omega in ~2000; X-33. Bought a GMT II in 2014; BLNR/Batman.

Sold the Rolex last year, wearing the Omega right now. I really like the new 300m and will probably get one. And then, maybe, I'll get a Polar Explorer II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I have the same pair.

On the other hand, if they put this out in the new 300m... whoo boy!
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 08:11 AM   #99
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
I read the thread.
Marketing works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 02:37 PM   #100
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew7 View Post
I own both brands and believe Omega engineering, build quality, reliability and time-keeping are all equal to that of Rolex based on a dozen years of ownership.

There is a pretty heavy contingent here of people who think Rolex is superior to Omega however most of those people have never owned both brands and base their claims on resale value and desirability which Rolex does win easily.

Rolex vs Omega threads usual divide the forum into Rolex enthusiasts vs watch enthusiasts.
I own both:

Rolex: Deepsea 126660, current model BLNR

Omega: Constellation Ernie Els, Planet Ocean Big Blue, Speedy Pro, Speedy CK2998 silver/white dial, Speedy Hodinkee, and just found out my wife is surprising me with the blue and black/gold dial Tokyo 2020 Speedys to be picked up on an upcoming Japan trip.

I don't see the quality of one being any better than the other, but acknowledge the difference in marketing power for which Rolex holds the crown (pun intended).

I also own a bunch of other watches from other brands and believe there is a vast world of timekeeping worth looking into. Personally, I would consider myself a Breguet lover/collector more than anything else, with Omega following second due to my love of Speedmasters.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:56 PM   #101
sl954
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
I'm in the Omega camp, I dont own a rolex, but wuld like ot add one to my collection
sl954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #102
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
The resale value of Rolex is higher than Omega but that doesn't necessarily mean Omega is mediocre to Rolex though...
Nadi090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 12:14 AM   #103
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have had a good experience with both brands once I got to the point that I appreciated them for what they are, not what they are not. I currently own two Omega's with my eye on the new James Bond Seamaster on the mesh bracelet. I own seven Rolex watches and am not really looking for additions.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 04:01 AM   #104
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Bought an Omega in ~2000; X-33. Bought a GMT II in 2014; BLNR/Batman.

Sold the Rolex last year, wearing the Omega right now. I really like the new 300m and will probably get one. And then, maybe, I'll get a Polar Explorer II.

On the other hand, if they put this out in the new 300m... whoo boy!

Would love to see a GMT variant.

I suspect that in next 1-2 years we will.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 03:53 PM   #105
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Both. Both make great watches.

Old 2 February 2020, 09:37 PM   #106
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I quite like Omega. If I was forced to only have one watch it would be a 38mm AT. There are time and places were Rolex is risking in that you can garner an adverse reaction.

I don't sell watches so resell value doesn't bother me.

What I do love about Rolex is their designs are timeless and they're far more controlled with their design updates. They age so well.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 09:47 PM   #107
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I was solely a Rolex owner for over 15 years, from my first ‘luxury’ watch a Rolex 16710 until the last couple of years, by which time I had a couple of Rolex, modern and vintage. I sold a few pieces and have lost interest in Rolex, because there’s seems to be very little interest in the brand (aside from here, but even that is changing) and more interest in how much it’s worth etc. I have a vintage Datejust, a Panerai and now an Omega Seamaster 300, the vintage reissue model which I think is just a perfect 3 hand watch and in my eyes a nicer piece than the equivalent Submariner, for literally one third of the price on the second-hand market.
Old 4 February 2020, 02:58 AM   #108
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I have one Rolex and one Omega, along with IWC, Breitling, and other good brands.

My two favorites are my Rolex Explorer ii black dial with the Orange hand, and my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean GoodPlanet GMT.
Purchased both thru DavidSW and they are my two favorite watches. The Omega came on the bracelet but my local AD had the rubber strap and it has been on the rubber since that day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSsugnE-l8

That Omega is absolutely as fine a watch as my Explorer ii and they share 90% of my wrist-time. This Omega may even be technically better than my Exp ii. It can be a little thick under a tight dress shirt, so I just wear some other shirt on the days I am wearing the Omega.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO GMT3 resized.jpg (28.8 KB, 339 views)
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 04:16 AM   #109
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I own both and really the only place I see that Rolex has Omega beat is the marketing department. And due to that, Rolex holds or increases in value and Omega does not. Simple as that.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:02 AM   #110
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Omega

I'm relatively new to this "hobby," and have purchased multiples of both brands in the past year and a half.

I've sold most of the Rolexes (114060 remains), and one of the Omegas (black speedy date).

I'd have to say I enjoyed the first Rolex purchase, because it was my first (although it's gone), and I really enjoyed when they let me buy a CHNR (but that too is gone).

For me, I think Omega has less of a, I don't know if stigma is the right word, but something along those lines albeit slightly less harsh, attached to it. I appreciate wearing something incognito if you will, not the cliche Rolex.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rolex makes a fabulous product, but at this point for me, other than marketing, I'd say the only thing where they have Omega beat is the bracelet. Rolex bracelets are like butter! Oh, and unavailability, totally have Omega beat at that, too.

The buying experience is also night and day...I had a hand written thank you note was sent to me from the Omega boutique, they truly appreciated me spending my money there. I wasn't made to feel "lucky" that I was allocated something. That's cool once or twice, the fun is in the hunt, but it does wear off. Appreciation is nice and is something I will remember when it's time to purchase again. No Rolex AD I bought from (3 different last year) ever did that...snooty is more of the feeling I got buying from all three, that and lucky they let me buy what I did. I do hold that it should be the other way around, or at least a mutual feeling: I'm lucky, and they're lucky I chose to spend my $$$ there.

In sum, they both make great watches, and you really can't go wrong with either...it's just a way different purchase experience with Omega (and most people never question if it's real or not).
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 08:24 AM   #111
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurgBM View Post

Nice shot!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 08:25 AM   #112
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurgBM View Post

How do watches compare as far as wearing them goes?

Which one wears bigger?

Which one is more comfortable?
Old 4 February 2020, 09:16 AM   #113
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
How do watches compare as far as wearing them goes?

Which one wears bigger?

Which one is more comfortable?
I'm sure others will weigh in, but I have both so I'll start...honestly I'd say they wear similarly.

The sub on its bracelet is more comfortable, but I'd say SMP on its rubber strap takes the cake in terms of comfort.

The seamaster is definitely heavier, but it is still comfortable even with its bracelet. It has a neat mircoadjust that I'd say works better than the glidelock...if only the bracelet tapered. I appreciate the tiny specs of polish on the bracelet vs the subs all brushed, and I don't think there's a comparison with the lume. The SMP is much much better, both in telling the time and in how long it lasts.

The sub is classic, goes with pretty much everything, and I'd say almost more jewelry like. The SMP has a more tool feel to it but still dresses up well.

In terms of their actual function (time telling), but SMP is more legible in more lighting conditions IMO, especially the white one. The anti-reflective coating is nice to have, not that the sub is hard to read, but it's easier to read the SMP at a glance.

Hope that helps.

Old 4 February 2020, 10:36 AM   #114
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
I'm sure others will weigh in, but I have both so I'll start...honestly I'd say they wear similarly.

The sub on its bracelet is more comfortable, but I'd say SMP on its rubber strap takes the cake in terms of comfort.

The seamaster is definitely heavier, but it is still comfortable even with its bracelet. It has a neat mircoadjust that I'd say works better than the glidelock...if only the bracelet tapered. I appreciate the tiny specs of polish on the bracelet vs the subs all brushed, and I don't think there's a comparison with the lume. The SMP is much much better, both in telling the time and in how long it lasts.

The sub is classic, goes with pretty much everything, and I'd say almost more jewelry like. The SMP has a more tool feel to it but still dresses up well.

In terms of their actual function (time telling), but SMP is more legible in more lighting conditions IMO, especially the white one. The anti-reflective coating is nice to have, not that the sub is hard to read, but it's easier to read the SMP at a glance.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

I’ve seen older men with 5 digit submariners a couple times and the other day I saw an older guy wearing an older Seamaster 300 for the first time

Made me wonder the pros and cons of each watch

I feel that Rolex has way better marketing than Omega

I knew the Rolex name when I was 13 years old I think... and I grew up in a family that was a little financially right

So, I feel like many people buy a Sub because of the Rolex brand. Not so much because it is infinitely better than a Seamaster

That’s why I’m asking :D

I’m going to look into this further though!
Old 5 February 2020, 01:12 AM   #115
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Man Omegas customer service and boxing game is strong...all this for a NATO strap, and they included a strap tool and spring bars!

Old 5 February 2020, 12:06 PM   #116
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Rolex v Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
Man Omegas customer service and boxing game is strong...all this for a NATO strap, and they included a strap tool and spring bars!

I got the same! Loving it! Might get the grey NATO next !

I

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #117
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Why must there be an ongoing comparison between these brands? It accomplishes nothing.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 09:17 AM   #118
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5512 View Post
Why must there be an ongoing comparison between these brands? It accomplishes nothing.

Totally agree. Everyone knows rolex is the best so what’s the point !

I jest of course ... and find these threads humorous. (Full disclosure I own both)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:04 PM   #119
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5512 View Post
The overwhelming majority of threads on the forum don’t accomplish anything Greg. It’s simply a means to discuss a topic and voice your opinion.
This particular topic can at least be debated while many others are just plain silly.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 12:26 PM   #120
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I own both brands currently and over the years have also owned Panerai and IWC and Sinn and Heuer.

Both Omega and Rolex have a lot of appealing watches. I've not been convinced about the Rolex durability as my Omegas have done no worse. Only the IWC's needed unexpected service.

The resale value differential is hard to compare. Rolex SS watches are hard to purchase at an AD so their higher resale reflects their more limited availability and the significant upcharge made by grey market sellers. I haven't looked recently, but I would guess that there are slow moving Datejust watches or slow moving gold and steel ones that also take a dip after sale.

Omega's volume is much greater and their business model is more about creating in-stock products. So, resale should reflect this reality.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote