The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 November 2017, 06:37 AM   #2041
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Any recommendations for winter boots?

Should probably be chromexcel right? Or some kind of weather treated leather.

Trying to find something that looks decent and can be worn in the snow / slush that comes with winter in NYC.

Lots of dirty snow and salt to deal with. Waterproof would be great, but not sure if there is anything that doesn't look like an ll bean boot. I don't think they are too bad looking, but wanted to see what else is out there.
There is a picture of my boots a couple of pages back. My winter boots are just regular boots but with a commando or ridgeway sole. Just make sure that you wipe off the boots if you have been out, clean and brush them daily and take care of the leather and seams properly and they will stay just fine and waterproof in my experience. Same routine as in the army.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 07:07 AM   #2042
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Good year welted or Storm welted boots

Quote:

Trying to find something that looks decent and can be worn in the snow / slush that comes with winter in NYC.

Lots of dirty snow and salt to deal with. Waterproof would be great, but not sure if there is anything that doesn't look like an ll bean boot. I don't think they are too bad looking, but wanted to see what else is out there.
Get those fine boots that use Goodyear Welted( nothing to do with tires but rather a method of stitching the soles that makes it durable and "waterproof") or Storm Welted.

These are premium but of course you get what you pay for. I highly recommend these types of shoe construction.

Furthermore, you can have them resoled. But I don't, I just keep on buying them : )

cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 12:55 PM   #2043
Rolex1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II, TT Y
Just ordered a pair of Viberg Service Boot Seal Brown Tumbled Horsehide. Anyone have experience with Viberg? I have two pairs of Alden Indys and expect the Viberg to be comparable. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 03:44 PM   #2044
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1974 View Post
Just ordered a pair of Viberg Service Boot Seal Brown Tumbled Horsehide. Anyone have experience with Viberg? I have two pairs of Alden Indys and expect the Viberg to be comparable. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I actually have a pair of Alden Indys and a pair of Viberg Service boots.

Brannock 11 1/2 D US.

Viberg Service Boot Brown CXL Toe Cap – 11 2030 Last Snug Ball and Toes

Alden Barrie 11 D

If you actually checkout Styleforum they have a thread dedicated to both Alden and Viberg where more users actually provide their sizes and you can get a much better idea than just one mans sizing. Keep in mind my feet and my size may not directly compare to yours and your experience. YMMV

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 06:30 AM   #2045
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1974 View Post
I have a pair of Viberg service boots in black chromexel. I bought them after I saw a picture of Dans...

I really like them, comfortable but a bit heavy. I wear them a lot in the summers and I had them resoled last year. I have literally walked at least 1000km in them.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:33 AM   #2046
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Probably some of the best RTW boots you can buy for foul weather are the C&J Snowdon. They check all the boxes for things that you want to keep your feet dry.

https://www.crockettandjones.com/snowdon-oak-wax-hide/
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 06:36 AM   #2047
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Probably some of the best RTW boots you can buy for foil weather are the C&J Snowdon. They check all the boxes for things that you want to keep your feet dry.

Funny you mention C&J. I've been checking out their boots the last few days.

If I'm going to spend 1k, might forget that whole winter requirements and just get something from them I really like. Not that those are bad, but all their models seems great.

Was looking at the Northcote, galaay II, Coniston. Although not sure how I feel about grain. Need to see them in person.

Think I'll go to their store here in the city next weekend.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:45 AM   #2048
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Funny you mention C&J. I've been checking out their boots the last few days.

If I'm going to spend 1k, might forget that whole winter requirements and just get something from them I really like. Not that those are bad, but all their models seems great.

Was looking at the Northcote, galaay II, Coniston. Although not sure how I feel about grain. Need to see them in person.

Think I'll go to their store here in the city next weekend.
I have a pair of Galway 2s and Conistons. I plan on selling them. They are great boots, but I am trying to clear some room. Also, neither compare to the Snowdons for foul weather.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:50 AM   #2049
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a pair of Galway 2s and Conistons. I plan on selling them. They are great boots, but I am trying to clear some room. Also, neither compare to the Snowdons for foul weather.
My problem is that is tend to take forever deciding when I start caring about something. Once I buy them, that's it. Will have to keep them forever so really need to like them.

Plus these would be by far my most expensive pair of shoes. I still love all my AEs and have had a great experience with them, but these are another level. Had to happen at some point, but really need to love them.
Old 17 November 2017, 07:11 AM   #2050
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
My problem is that is tend to take forever deciding when I start caring about something. Once I buy them, that's it. Will have to keep them forever so really need to like them.

Plus these would be by far my most expensive pair of shoes. I still love all my AEs and have had a great experience with them, but these are another level. Had to happen at some point, but really need to love them.
Once you get around $1000 on your personal value scale you can start looking at Edward Green and G&G boots. For around $1500 you can get a MTO Thorpe from G&G that will last you just about forever. A pair of EGs will be a few hundred more, but you will not be disappointed with the boots.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 07:13 AM   #2051
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Once you get around $1000 on your personal value scale you can start looking at Edward Green and G&G boots. For around $1500 you can get a MTO Thorpe from G&G that will last you just about forever. A pair of EGs will be a few hundred more, but you will not be disappointed with the boots.
This is a slippery slope and I already feel myself starting to slide.

If I only I had some nice boots...
Old 17 November 2017, 07:27 AM   #2052
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

With a commando sole.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:51 PM   #2053
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Galways on the 64 Last with Ridgeway Sole in Country Grain or Zug which would be best is probably the most Iconic Country Boot out there.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2017, 02:53 PM   #2054
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I have a pair of Viberg service boots in black chromexel. I bought them after I saw a picture of Dans...

I really like them, comfortable but a bit heavy. I wear them a lot in the summers and I had them resoled last year. I have literally walked at least 1000km in them.
A little heavy maybe but what FABULOUS FREAKING BOOT!!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2017, 03:06 PM   #2055
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In terms of luxury shoes, AE is a great starting point. If you're coming from the typical Kennith Cole/Cole Haan shoes, I'm sure you noticed a big difference. The same jump in quality is what you can expect once you move to a solid mid-range shoe such as C&J. The quality of C&J is just great.

I know going to the next level may seem like a big jump, but I think you'll be happy with the quality.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:29 PM   #2056
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In terms of luxury shoes, AE is a great starting point. If you're coming from the typical Kennith Cole/Cole Haan shoes, I'm sure you noticed a big difference. The same jump in quality is what you can expect once you move to a solid mid-range shoe such as C&J. The quality of C&J is just great.

I know going to the next level may seem like a big jump, but I think you'll be happy with the quality.

Personally I started with AE and then Alden. Frankly I thought there was a pretty big difference even between Alden and C&J. I really like C&J Boots and even though I later purchased a number of boots and shoes from EG, G&G, John Lobb, and St Crispins I still really like my Islays and still find them to be one of my favorite pair of boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2017, 04:14 PM   #2057
Syed117
"TRF" Member

So these seem to be the only galway C&J currently offers. Is there some older model on a different last?

Will obviously need to see how they fit since every AE shoe/boot I have is in a wider width.

I'm leaning towards these. The Northcote seem like they would be very narrow and possibly really long. I don't like have too much length in the toe box.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:32 PM   #2058
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So these seem to be the only galway C&J currently offers. Is there some older model on a different last?

Will obviously need to see how they fit since every AE shoe/boot I have is in a wider width.

I'm leaning towards these. The Northcote seem like they would be very narrow and possibly really long. I don't like have too much length in the toe box.
I highly recommend that you spend sometime doing some research on Styleforum in the C&J appreciation thread. All things C&J to include models, Lasts, and sizing recommendations will be discussed there.

Here again keep in mind the price difference between C&J and something like EG or G&G. For someone like me who decided to get numerous examples not such a big deal, for someone who may just want one or a few it certainly may be a bigger deal.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 November 2017, 04:42 PM   #2059
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Personally I started with AE and then Alden. Frankly I thought there was a pretty big difference even between Alden and C&J. I really like C&J Boots and even though I later purchased a number of boots and shoes from EG, G&G, John Lobb, and St Crispins I still really like my Islays and still find them to be one of my favorite pair of boots.
It's important to keep in mind that C&J has two levels of shoes, main line and hand grade. All Alden's are made to the same standard.

My experience is that the main line C&Js are similar to Alden with a slight advantage in terms of fit and finish. In terms of the material quality, everything seems to be similar. I don't have any experience with the hand grade C&Js, but it is said that the C&J for RL shoes are a mix between the two, which I tend to believe. The details of the RL shoes (e.g., wheeling and soles) are nicer than the standard C&J shoes.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:43 PM   #2060
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, that's their only Galway model. The 325 last pretty wide and fits similar to the Alden barrie. I am not sure what the AE equivalent would be.
Old 17 November 2017, 04:51 PM   #2061
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's important to keep in mind that C&J has two levels of shoes, main line and hand grade. All Alden's are made to the same standard.

My experience is that the main line C&Js are similar to Alden with a slight advantage in terms of fit and finish. In terms of the material quality, everything seems to be similar. I don't have any experience with the hand grade C&Js, but it is said that the C&J for RL shoes are a mix between the two, which I tend to believe. The details of the RL shoes (e.g., wheeling and soles) are nicer than the standard C&J shoes.
Your right Wes and I forgot all about that. In fact they also make shoes under the Peal and Co line of shoes which are for Brooks Bros and I think those for the most part could be considered mainline if not even less. I think the Northcote in Cordovan would at times use the Peal and Co name and at other times use the C&J name if I remember correctly.

Anyway even if mainline I find C&J gets my vote over Alden if nothing more because I find C&J has a more attractive Last and Design.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 November 2017, 05:37 AM   #2062
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Probably some of the best RTW boots you can buy for foul weather are the C&J Snowdon. They check all the boxes for things that you want to keep your feet dry.

I have a pair of Snowdons as winter boots. I also wear them in other harsh conditions like on volcanos, glaciers, hiking etc. They are great. The only thing I don't like with them is that gravel tend to get stuck in the commando sole.
Old 18 November 2017, 04:39 PM   #2063
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

I recently discovered the John Lobb Chambord split toe shoes.

I thought my choices were EG, G&G, and JM Weston, but the plot has thickened.

Damn it!
Old 18 November 2017, 05:02 PM   #2064
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I recently discovered the John Lobb Chambord split toe shoes.

I thought my choices were EG, G&G, and JM Weston, but the plot has thickened.

Damn it!
St Crispin also has some split toes you might wish to look at. The EG and G&G split toes are much more to my liking and have yet to see any that appeal to me as much as theirs. Personally not a fan of any of the John Lobbs boots I’ve seen with exception of one in particular. It was a Jodhpur with a croc strap. Just think this is one of the areas EG reigns supreme. It’s pretty tough to beat the boots EG has to offer. I do favor the G&G Thorpe over the EG Nevis however.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 November 2017, 05:21 PM   #2065
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
St Crispin also has some split toes you might wish to look at. The EG and G&G split toes are much more to my liking and have yet to see any that appeal to me as much as theirs. Personally not a fan of any of the John Lobbs boots I’ve seen with exception of one in particular. It was a Jodhpur with a croc strap. Just think this is one of the areas EG reigns supreme. It’s pretty tough to beat the boots EG has to offer. I do favor the G&G Thorpe over the EG Nevis however.
I am not sure if it is just a unique St Crispin characteristic or not, but their lasts seem to all have a super tight waist. Shoes with a tight waist look great, but those would never work for my feet.

I can't find many pictures of the Chambord shoes so maybe they're available by MTO only, but these look killer to me...

Old 18 November 2017, 06:15 PM   #2066
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I am not sure if it is just a unique St Crispin characteristic or not, but their lasts seem to all have a super tight waist. Shoes with a tight waist look great, but those would never work for my feet.

I can't find many pictures of the Chambord shoes so maybe they're available by MTO only, but these look killer to me...

They are nice
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:49 PM   #2067
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

Call the boutique in the LA area (Costa Mesa). They handle all the US online sales. They can get you all the info you want on a particular model.

The SA that worked with me is Mr. Hong Lee. He was very good.

johnlobbsouthcoastplaza@johnlobb.com
Old 18 November 2017, 10:48 PM   #2068
Abdullah71601
Banned

I am contemplating a pair of these P2's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23516053_10208630422598489_1652237773_o.jpg (127.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 18 November 2017, 10:58 PM   #2069
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I am contemplating a pair of these P2's.
I don’t know what your indecision might be, but those are the type and style of John Lobb shoes I would buy.

Very nice, great choice!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 November 2017, 11:02 PM   #2070
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I don’t know what your indecision might be, but those are the type and style of John Lobb shoes I would buy.
I'm on a ration from the missus. I won't be ordering any new shoes until the G&G boots have been on my feet for a few months.

They're a wide, so I won't be seeing them for another month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9144_4cd9cf1e-0248-49a6-a550-3066318868d1_large.jpg (28.4 KB, 96 views)