The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 March 2023, 12:51 AM   #1
Armis
"TRF" Member

Can both 5726 variants be part of a collection?

Aside from a previous question about whether one can have too many blue dialed Nautilus variants, this question is focused solely on the two steel 5726 Nautilus pieces. We acknowledge that everyone’s preference is for the 5726 blue with bracelet. Moreover, in the “old days” the black/grey dial variant was actually disliked/shunned (relatively speaking) by most because of it being on leather strap (which is actually the reason I always loved it).

Regardless, I’m curious if any of you know people that have both variants? Would you consider it redundant/overkill to have both?
The AC complication is a practical one, and nicely presented on the 5726. Additionally, there are notable aesthetic distinctions between the two given their dial colors and strap v. bracelet. So would you do it? Do you see a place for both in your collection?

*In this case let’s leave out any financial/cost considerations, including market value, and whether an AD would actually ever allocate both to a person over time. Assume they’re both obtainable and at msrp.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:22 AM   #2
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I love the 5726. Alot has changed since "back in the day". Back in the day, the Aquanaut was called "the poor man's Nautilus". You never hear that term anymore lol
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:25 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think it can work, and I’ve always liked the variant on a strap. Wish they made the white dial on a strap
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 01:59 AM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
There's nothing wrong with two steel 5726s of course (there are people with multiple Subs, etc.). But if I had the choice, I'd get a non-5726 steel bracelet Nautilus and pair it with the 5726A just to have a little more variety.
srvrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 03:57 AM   #5
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I think it can work, and I’ve always liked the variant on a strap. Wish they made the white dial on a strap
Me too! The white dial version was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
There's nothing wrong with two steel 5726s of course (there are people with multiple Subs, etc.). But if I had the choice, I'd get a non-5726 steel bracelet Nautilus and pair it with the 5726A just to have a little more variety.
This is the optimal move, as long as there’s no qualms about not getting the blue 5726 version. It’s a bit obnoxious of PP to not allow conversions of bracelets to straps.
Old 5 March 2023, 08:03 AM   #6
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I don't think it's redundant if one is on a bracelet and the other on a strap. Two very distinctive looks.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 08:21 AM   #7
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Can a white and black daytona be in the same collection? I think most people would answer yes. By extension, I think as long as you love it enough, two 5726 can be in the same collection.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2023, 08:52 AM   #8
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I had the an and then the polar on a bracelet. They compliment each other very well. I miss the strap version slightly but sold it to buy a military Rolex and so no regrets as I’m a huge history buff. I have requested a 5726 blue to go with my polar as well as a 5740. I think you can have many and they all work.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 12:49 PM   #9
thetinkercompanies
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Hublot,Panerai
In terms of practicality, having both the blue and black/grey dial variants of the 5726 Nautilus with annual calendar complications can be redundant. However, collectors often value aesthetic differences and personal preferences when adding pieces to their collection.

If someone is a die-hard fan of the 5726 Nautilus with annual calendar complications, having both variants in their collection might be justifiable. The black/grey dial variant on leather strap offers a more classic and traditional look, while the blue dial variant on bracelet gives a sportier and modern feel.
thetinkercompanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 03:48 PM   #10
Ba Ba
"TRF" Member

Depends on the THEME of your collection. I personally think it’s redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ba Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2023, 02:51 AM   #11
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I don't think it's redundant if one is on a bracelet and the other on a strap. Two very distinctive looks.
It’s true, they are distinctive. But then thinking about it more, when would I be inclined to one over the other. I really like the strap look and would generally favor that. Not good for me to want/have a blue version just for hype and keep in a safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Can a white and black daytona be in the same collection? I think most people would answer yes. By extension, I think as long as you love it enough, two 5726 can be in the same collection.
Agreed, but I can see each of the Daytona’s being worn regularly. In my case, with 5726, the more I’ve thought about it since this post, the more I doubt I would wear equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
I had the an and then the polar on a bracelet. They compliment each other very well. I miss the strap version slightly but sold it to buy a military Rolex and so no regrets as I’m a huge history buff. I have requested a 5726 blue to go with my polar as well as a 5740. I think you can have many and they all work.
Your pieces are more balanced than mine, but your point is well taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetinkercompanies View Post
In terms of practicality, having both the blue and black/grey dial variants of the 5726 Nautilus with annual calendar complications can be redundant. However, collectors often value aesthetic differences and personal preferences when adding pieces to their collection.

If someone is a die-hard fan of the 5726 Nautilus with annual calendar complications, having both variants in their collection might be justifiable. The black/grey dial variant on leather strap offers a more classic and traditional look, while the blue dial variant on bracelet gives a sportier and modern feel.
Totally, from a collector’s perspective there’s no question. But I can’t consider myself as that on the same level of appreciation of many others on this forum and at large. If I wouldn’t wear them both then I shouldn’t have both, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba Ba View Post
Depends on the THEME of your collection. I personally think it’s redundant.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You’re right, this is in line with the above “collector” comment and whether I think I have a true theme and purpose for each 5726.

I do appreciate the ‘wisdom’ of the forum in prompting me to think about this in a balanced way.