The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2023, 09:55 AM   #61
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
150 seems high to me. I would have thought 5 or 6 per month.

They would like you to think they get 2-3 per month…it’s laughable some of the conversations I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 04:39 PM   #62
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
https://swisswatches-magazine.com/bl...kim-eva-wempe/
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:07 PM   #63
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
150 seems high to me. I would have thought 5 or 6 per month.
150 is about right for the hypothetical average AD based on 60000 watches and 400 ADs. Probably a little higher even as the number of watches may be more like 70000 and the number of ADs might have dropped below 400 by now.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:17 PM   #64
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
Great post @Dom.

Loved this from TS: "Fortunately, we have a long-term vision, whereas other brands don’t care at the moment. But I think that is dangerous."

Imo a clear reference to AP. Honestly, despite the fact that they culled my AD you got to give it to PP: They know what they are doing.

Wonder who or if they are prioritising between Wempe and Bucherer. In my hometown of Munich here in Germany both still have PP. Bucherer operates a store that has been selling PP and Rolex exclusively for years. Wempe on the other hand opened an enormous store on one of the most exclusive streets a few years ago in addition to another store that they have operated for decades. Bucherer did the same, but I don't think they are selling PP there.

From what TS is stating in this interview and given the proximity the stores are in, I'm really curious if they are going to pull out from one of them. Going to be a tough call, because both the old Wempe and Bucherer Rolex/PP store could become PP exclusive boutiques like the Wempe boutique in Hamburg. Maybe they'll even prioritize on a city by city basis. So Wempe gets Hamburg and Frankfurt maybe. Bucherer Berlin and Munich. Rüschenbeck (which is another large retailer that operates several brand boutiques incl. AP in Frankfurt) gets the Western part of Germany.

They then probably would leave the smaller retailers in smaller cities to fight it out between themselves, leaving PP with the companies that are most willing to remodel as per PP's standards on a constant basis.

Any thoughts?
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:26 PM   #65
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma089 View Post
Great post @Dom.

Loved this from TS: "Fortunately, we have a long-term vision, whereas other brands don’t care at the moment. But I think that is dangerous."

Imo a clear reference to AP. Honestly, despite the fact that they culled my AD you got to give it to PP: They know what they are doing.

Wonder who they are prioritising between Wempe and Bucherer. In my hometown both still have PP. Bucherer operates a store that has been selling PP and Rolex exclusively for years. Wempe opened an enormous store on one of the most exclusive streets a few years ago. From what TS is stating in this interview and given the proximity the stores are in, really curious if they are going to pull out from one of them.

Any thoughts?
I think both brands (AP and PP) have valid reasons to go with their current plan (AD vs Boutique). And as it has been debated multiple times here on TRF, both have their own pros and cons. Long term no one’s know which route is better, but suspect that in an economic downturn, having to maintain the place, staff and utilities, combined with difficulty moving watches in a bad economic environment, may be less effective than the AD route where the AD takes the retail risk. So over the next 12 months, with the woes faced by the banking industry, we will likely know the outcome.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 08:35 PM   #66
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think both brands (AP and PP) have valid reasons to go with their current plan (AD vs Boutique). And as it has been debated multiple times here on TRF, both have their own pros and cons. Long term no one’s know which route is better, but suspect that in an economic downturn, having to maintain the place, staff and utilities, combined with difficulty moving watches in a bad economic environment, may be less effective than the AD route where the AD takes the retail risk. So over the next 12 months, with the woes faced by the banking industry, we will likely know the outcome.
Agreed, and I'll add that during downturns, ADs often have less expensive brands to bring the cash they need to maintain the business (wages, premises charges...). In a mono brand shop with a high starting price, it might be less easy. I guess that Patek have gathered some data with their Salons prior to 2012/2014, even if those salons are based in wealthier areas.
I believe they have a much larger view on this than we have and can think of. Hence their decision making may be quite very different from ours.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 12:00 AM   #67
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom007 View Post
That was a superb interview, thanks for sharing.

Also the new boutique looks wonderful. The bar is being raised for PP retailers to follow.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 05:24 AM   #68
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great post @Dom.

Wonder who or if they are prioritising between Wempe and Bucherer. In my hometown of Munich here in Germany both still have PP. Bucherer operates a store that has been selling PP and Rolex exclusively for years. Wempe on the other hand opened an enormous store on one of the most exclusive streets a few years ago in addition to another store that they have operated for decades. Bucherer did the same, but I don't think they are selling PP there.

From what TS is stating in this interview and given the proximity the stores are in, I'm really curious if they are going to pull out from one of them. Going to be a tough call, because both the old Wempe and Bucherer Rolex/PP store could become PP exclusive boutiques like the Wempe boutique in Hamburg. Maybe they'll even prioritize on a city by city basis. So Wempe gets Hamburg and Frankfurt maybe. Bucherer Berlin and Munich. Rüschenbeck (which is another large retailer that operates several brand boutiques incl. AP in Frankfurt) gets the Western part of Germany.

They then probably would leave the smaller retailers in smaller cities to fight it out between themselves, leaving PP with the companies that are most willing to remodel as per PP's standards on a constant basis.

Any thoughts?
I'd be surprised if the old Wempe got converted into a Patek boutique. That location is soso IMO. Lots of foot traffic but a very different crowd from Maximilianstr or Perusastr. Feels a little like Wempe in Nürnberg who lost Patek a few years ago.

The multibrand Bucherer would make a better Patek boutique I think. However, unless a huge flashy showroom becomes mandatory, the old Huber store might continue to do from Bucherer's perspective. That said, I haven't been there in many years.

More generally, even with F.C. Bauer now out 9 of 29 German ADs remain in Bavaria. In the long run there may well be a lot less, say 1 or 2 in Munich, 1 in Nürnberg/Fürth, and 2-3 across the state.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 12:33 PM   #69
ATO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom007 View Post
Great interview, always enjoy TS's messages, no BS, straight forward and professional. Also a great view as they talk about their children vs what's good for the company.
ATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 06:16 PM   #70
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I'd be surprised if the old Wempe got converted into a Patek boutique. That location is soso IMO. Lots of foot traffic but a very different crowd from Maximilianstr or Perusastr. Feels a little like Wempe in Nürnberg who lost Patek a few years ago.

The multibrand Bucherer would make a better Patek boutique I think. However, unless a huge flashy showroom becomes mandatory, the old Huber store might continue to do from Bucherer's perspective. That said, I haven't been there in many years.

More generally, even with F.C. Bauer now out 9 of 29 German ADs remain in Bavaria. In the long run there may well be a lot less, say 1 or 2 in Munich, 1 in Nürnberg/Fürth, and 2-3 across the state.
Yup, good points. I'm really just trying to figure out who I'll try to go with from now on. Guess it's a coin toss at this point. I like the old Huber store the most, so I'll try my luck there.

Honestly the only thing I am really lusting over atm from PP are a 5212a and a 5320g, though I have doubts about both due to their size. Fingers crossed that PP will introduce a smaller PC. Something akin to the 3448/3449 in WG would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath there.
Old 21 March 2023, 07:14 PM   #71
southlight
2024 Pledge Member

Hi guys, long time reader but this is my first post: afaik Wempe will lose Patek in one of the Munich locations sooner or later while the other one will stay (for the time being). Bucherer does not have Patek in Germany with the takeover of the old Huber franchise being the only exception.
southlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:48 AM   #72
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Hi guys, long time reader but this is my first post: afaik Wempe will lose Patek in one of the Munich locations sooner or later while the other one will stay (for the time being). Bucherer does not have Patek in Germany with the takeover of the old Huber franchise being the only exception.
Interesting, thanks. Just checked out the list of Patek retailers in Germany and you are right. Bucherer seems to only have PP left in Munich and Berlin while Wempe has PP in seven cities with locations in both Munich and Berlin as well. Doesn't look too great for Bucherer tbh, especially given the apparent personal connection TS has with Wempe.
Old 23 March 2023, 08:03 AM   #73
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yup, good points. I'm really just trying to figure out who I'll try to go with from now on. Guess it's a coin toss at this point. I like the old Huber store the most, so I'll try my luck there.

Honestly the only thing I am really lusting over atm from PP are a 5212a and a 5320g, though I have doubts about both due to their size. Fingers crossed that PP will introduce a smaller PC. Something akin to the 3448/3449 in WG would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath there.
5212a is available below list on the grey market now
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 08:08 AM   #74
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
I believe 5320 is as well.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 08:32 AM   #75
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
If you don't lose your AD to the culling, you may lose your SA, you may get jumped by whales on the list, you may get blacklisted.

Perhaps if you are under the age of 60, you should fly to a Salon and start fresh ;/
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 02:42 PM   #76
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
If you don't lose your AD to the culling, you may lose your SA, you may get jumped by whales on the list, you may get blacklisted.

Perhaps if you are under the age of 60, you should fly to a Salon and start fresh ;/
The only problem can be that the Salons only serve “locals” now so you may need to move to another country.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 05:31 PM   #77
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Yup, you're right. Probably the easier route.
Old 25 March 2023, 06:52 AM   #78
Will_NL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post

Lowest price i see on C24 is 40K US, if that is without sales tax, that is still above retail as far as I see
Will_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 07:04 AM   #79
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
150 is about right for the hypothetical average AD based on 60000 watches and 400 ADs. Probably a little higher even as the number of watches may be more like 70000 and the number of ADs might have dropped below 400 by now.
Thanks, good to know.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 07:05 AM   #80
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
I just got a text from my SA with Tourneau/Bucherer and was informed that they will no longer be selling Patek. She said PP was going to Boutique only
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 07:08 AM   #81
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
5320 has been below retail used except when it was first released. They went as low as the high 50's complete. Dress watches are soft in the current market, with a little strengthening now being seen now as demand seems to be very strong at the moment.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 09:01 AM   #82
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
I just got a text from my SA with Tourneau/Bucherer and was informed that they will no longer be selling Patek. She said PP was going to Boutique only

I haven’t seen news or heard whispers of this, but I 100% approve of this

LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 09:28 AM   #83
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Boutique only but AD owned - seems in line of what we all heard and confirmed over the last couple of months

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 10:33 AM   #84
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Boutique only but AD owned - seems in line of what we all heard and confirmed over the last couple of months

She made it sound like it was Boutique Only and PP owned. She acted like this was a big decision for the direction of PP.

Sucks because I was waiting for my 5326G to come in ......
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 10:51 AM   #85
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
She made it sound like it was Boutique Only and PP owned. She acted like this was a big decision for the direction of PP.

Sucks because I was waiting for my 5326G to come in ......

That’s wrong - TS just literally said the opposite in an interview with the Wempe CEO and also PP is building new boutiques together with ADs left and right for example SF, Hamburg or Berlin

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:40 AM   #86
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I heard from a friend that my AD lost PP. I texted my SA and he confirmed that they were dropped.

This sucks.
LSU-MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:54 AM   #87
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU-MOOSE View Post
I heard from a friend that my AD lost PP. I texted my SA and he confirmed that they were dropped.

This sucks.
It’s like stepping on a piece of broken glass.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 12:02 PM   #88
RKunz
"TRF" Member

TS put on the LBs.
RKunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:42 PM   #89
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU-MOOSE View Post

This sucks.
That is seriously rough.

What do we do in these situations? I mean, the years and years of building relationships...
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:50 PM   #90
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
That is seriously rough.

What do we do in these situations? I mean, the years and years of building relationships...
Same happened to me with Lange and Sincere. Relationship lost once they went boutique only. Last time I went in their boutique they told me had to bundle a few watches
to be considered for a chronograph. You’d think they could track the watches you’ve bought via AD previously but no.
I just gave up with Lange at that point, put me off the brand completely.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote