The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2023, 04:40 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Talk me into buying the skyflake

I live in NYC and recently got robbed. Fortunately, the robber only wanted cash but it really made me more cautious moving forward about wearing my nicer watches that are targets for thefts. I am in the market for something that is under 5K dollars, can be worn daily, and has some type of function (either a date, chrono or both). I know insuring my collection is an idea, but that discussion is for another time. I have small wrists FWIW. I've boiled the choice down to a 3861 speedmaster with the hesalite crystal or the skyflake. I've already owned the speedmaster and sold it, but I do want one again. Yet, I've never owned a Grand Seiko - all I've heard is how the finishing is top notch, the spring drive, great value, etc. I love the sky flake dial, and the watch fit me a bit better than the Speedy. However, I feel like I should love the Grand Seiko more than I actually did when I tried it on in the boutique. Am I missing something? Please fill me in! thanks
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 04:45 AM   #2
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2023, 05:19 AM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
First off, I'm very sorry to hear you were robbed. Sadly I can relate to the feeling of having something you worked hard for taken away from you unlawfully. Thankfully nothing else was taken and most importantly everyone is ok!

Now, I think you should 1000% get that watch! It fits you very nicely, is elegant, versatile, and the finishing is superb!

Regarding the more well known pieces, this is definitely under the radar in the best possible way. Compared to watches from brands with significant hype and recognition, a lot of people won't know what this is, and that's amazing! This trait has always appealed to me, so I wouldn't worry too much about wearing this piece places.

I'm sure others will point out countless reasons you should go ahead with this purchase.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 09:00 AM   #4
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Sorry to hear about the robbery. It's horrible to feel violated that way.

Regarding the Skyflake, I have one and absolutely love it. The blue on the dial is amazing, the hands... second hand... smoothness of the movement... the entire watch is a hit. I can't say enough good things about it.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 09:00 AM   #5
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That’s awful stuff.

I don’t have any well founded reasons other than I think it is about the best looking watch GS makes. To me it’s just perfect. The slight texture of the dial, the shade of blue, the general way that GS finishes it all to perfection, all framed nicely with that slightly domed crystal. Then the case shape and polishing again with the GS quality levels. To me it just feels extremely elegant and nice. I honestly like it much more than my Shunbun but there’s a story behind why I own it instead. A lot of people don’t seem to love the strap but to me it’s even perfect there as well, with my overall thoughts on how elegant it is and the shades of blue and all I think it’s perfect, and although revered still underrated in the Grand Seiko lineup.
Old 20 March 2023, 10:10 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Sorry to hear about the robbery. It's horrible to feel violated that way.

Regarding the Skyflake, I have one and absolutely love it. The blue on the dial is amazing, the hands... second hand... smoothness of the movement... the entire watch is a hit. I can't say enough good things about it.
thank you
Old 20 March 2023, 10:11 AM   #7
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontknow View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. That’s awful stuff.

I don’t have any well founded reasons other than I think it is about the best looking watch GS makes. To me it’s just perfect. The slight texture of the dial, the shade of blue, the general way that GS finishes it all to perfection, all framed nicely with that slightly domed crystal. Then the case shape and polishing again with the GS quality levels. To me it just feels extremely elegant and nice. I honestly like it much more than my Shunbun but there’s a story behind why I own it instead. A lot of people don’t seem to love the strap but to me it’s even perfect there as well, with my overall thoughts on how elegant it is and the shades of blue and all I think it’s perfect, and although revered still underrated in the Grand Seiko lineup.
Agree with everything you said. The strap is really throwing me off, but I can't tell if its because of the direction of the clasp (which can obviously be flipped around), the length of the strap (super long???) or something else entirely. What are most people's issues with it?
Old 20 March 2023, 10:14 AM   #8
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Tried it on again today, this time with a dress cuff. It’s that excess strap that’s giving me pause on an otherwise stunning piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 March 2023, 12:24 PM   #9
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I agree.. the length of the strap is a turn-off for wrists less than 17 cm. I'd want to change that strap asap. Otherwise. It's a fantastic watch, and the spring drive is almost mesmerizing to look at.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 12:36 PM   #10
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Sorry about what happened to you. NYC recently has become a cesspool. Look at the SARB033. Great everyday watch, and very similar to a GS. I have one, and love it.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 01:36 PM   #11
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
You might be able to negotiate with the dealer to get an extra strap thrown in that's a little shorter. I negotiated a goodie when I bought mine.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 03:16 PM   #12
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I honestly think it looks perfect, plenty of strap options don't let that get in the way.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2023, 05:24 PM   #13
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
BUY IT!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 02:23 AM   #14
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

thanks everyone! Anyone switch and put this on a GS pin buckle? Was thinking of buying a 3rd party strap (Jr, CF, delugs) in a shorter side and flipping the clasp.
Old 21 March 2023, 02:24 AM   #15
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
Sorry about what happened to you. NYC recently has become a cesspool. Look at the SARB033. Great everyday watch, and very similar to a GS. I have one, and love it.
Unfortunately this is true. Fortunately, they got the robber (after robbing other people of course)
Old 21 March 2023, 02:33 AM   #16
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

GS + DeLugs short strap = Win Win.
Do it.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 07:30 AM   #17
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

You guys convinced me! Watch is on its way and should be here Thursday. Can't wait to share it with you all.
Old 22 March 2023, 08:37 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Guess I shouldn’t suggest sbgh295 and just say congrats then, dulp :)
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 08:47 AM   #19
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I bought a Skyflake last year, specifically since I had to go to a wedding in Mexico City, didn't want to wear anything too noticeable, but wanted to wear a real watch. I ended up getting CV and couldn't go to the wedding, but it was an excuse to buy a watch I really ended up loving more than I expected to. I also have a 3861, and it wears quite a bit smaller than the 42mm it's claimed to be. It is night and day better than the last Speedy IMO, particularly the hacking movement and bracelet. I bought them both so you know what I'd tell you to do! Both are true watch-lovers pieces that will have you finding new friends who notice what you're wearing. If you have to pick, I'd base it on which watch best fits your dress and lifestyle. The GS is most definitely a dressier piece, but you can dress up a Speedy with straps. I'd also consider something from Glashutte Original, which was also on my list of under-the-radar watches with legit watch cred. I'm a big fan of the Sixties Annual Limited Edition with the blue dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I live in NYC and recently got robbed. Fortunately, the robber only wanted cash but it really made me more cautious moving forward about wearing my nicer watches that are targets for thefts. I am in the market for something that is under 5K dollars, can be worn daily, and has some type of function (either a date, chrono or both). I know insuring my collection is an idea, but that discussion is for another time. I have small wrists FWIW. I've boiled the choice down to a 3861 speedmaster with the hesalite crystal or the skyflake. I've already owned the speedmaster and sold it, but I do want one again. Yet, I've never owned a Grand Seiko - all I've heard is how the finishing is top notch, the spring drive, great value, etc. I love the sky flake dial, and the watch fit me a bit better than the Speedy. However, I feel like I should love the Grand Seiko more than I actually did when I tried it on in the boutique. Am I missing something? Please fill me in! thanks
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 10:55 AM   #20
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
I bought a Skyflake last year, specifically since I had to go to a wedding in Mexico City, didn't want to wear anything too noticeable, but wanted to wear a real watch. I ended up getting CV and couldn't go to the wedding, but it was an excuse to buy a watch I really ended up loving more than I expected to. I also have a 3861, and it wears quite a bit smaller than the 42mm it's claimed to be. It is night and day better than the last Speedy IMO, particularly the hacking movement and bracelet. I bought them both so you know what I'd tell you to do! Both are true watch-lovers pieces that will have you finding new friends who notice what you're wearing. If you have to pick, I'd base it on which watch best fits your dress and lifestyle. The GS is most definitely a dressier piece, but you can dress up a Speedy with straps. I'd also consider something from Glashutte Original, which was also on my list of under-the-radar watches with legit watch cred. I'm a big fan of the Sixties Annual Limited Edition with the blue dial.
Great advice indeed. I think the Skyflake is better "value" for the price than the speedy (they're about the same price on the secondary market). Even though it's an apples to oranges comparison, I think the date function on the skyflake is more useful to daily wear than the speedy. Plus, theres SO many speedy's available, and yes the 3861 is really a great upgrade, but if I can snag a pre owned 1861 down the line for under 4K, thats something that cant be said of the skyflake. Also, the skyflake is just unlike any other watch in terms of looks - rarely are blue dial watches that shade of blue. Certainly a stand out piece in a collection moreso than the more utilitarian speedy.
Old 24 March 2023, 09:33 AM   #21
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Agree with everything you said. The strap is really throwing me off, but I can't tell if its because of the direction of the clasp (which can obviously be flipped around), the length of the strap (super long???) or something else entirely. What are most people's issues with it?
I’m not entirely sure honestly. I think it’s just because it’s backwards really. When putting it on it feels comfortable and fine once it’s on. I just noticed most people prefer to change it out, but not entirely sure.
Old 26 March 2023, 12:35 PM   #22
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
The Skyflake is a beautiful watch, I was between that and this SBGM221. I went with the GMT is a tad more casual, I like the GMT feature, and a bit more retro in style. One month in, has hardly left my wrist.

The Skyflake has a nice thick strap that feels less dress than it looks, and sports 100 meter water resistance- not that I’ll be swimming in it, but it’s just a more robust case. The power reserve gauge, not my favorite design feature, especially with a dial that deserves such attention, and then, of course the Spring drive is a superb movement.

All that said, the Skyflake will most likely be my next watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D7591119-F761-415D-A16B-9B406D7A62CA.jpeg (121.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpeg 0E417DEC-DFA2-4DB7-9E9B-7B57828ADB4E.jpeg (131.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 26 March 2023, 01:40 PM   #23
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
The Skyflake is a beautiful watch, I was between that and this SBGM221. I went with the GMT is a tad more casual, I like the GMT feature, and a bit more retro in style. One month in, has hardly left my wrist.

The Skyflake has a nice thick strap that feels less dress than it looks, and sports 100 meter water resistance- not that I’ll be swimming in it, but it’s just a more robust case. The power reserve gauge, not my favorite design feature, especially with a dial that deserves such attention, and then, of course the Spring drive is a superb movement.

All that said, the Skyflake will most likely be my next watch.
really nice GMT - love the classic look on it. I'm not a GMT guy since I never travel or need to follow another time zone, but its nonetheless a nice piece

Agree with you about the sportiness. I think a lot of people think a watch is either sporty or dressy, but noting in between. I disagree - I think a lot of watches do a great job of combining both without coming off weird. Think the Cartier Santos.