The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 March 2023, 02:55 AM   #1
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

Buy From AD or Grey Market?

Hi,

I am in the process of buying my wife, her first 'luxury' watch.

I have been lucky enough to build up my own collection over the last few years, and I think my interest in watches has somewhat influenced my wife now.

I am very close to buying a two tone 'Panthère de Cartier' 29mm (medium) - circa €9,500.

https://www.cartier.com/en-ie/panthe...artier-Watches

I can see online (C24) that I can pick up a new one (unworn) for around €8,000 (€1,500 below list).

I've been lucky enough that the majority of my watches (Rolex and AP) are "limited watches" in which I have bought from my AD's, so there has always been that extra special feeling and great appreciation for the fact that I was getting a watch that was difficult to get, and therefore worth considerably more than the list price.

Now I feel weird, almost questioning should I buy a Cartier from the Cartier AD, when in fact I could pick up the watch below list on grey market option. My usual ADs don't sell Cartier, so if they did, I would support them and wouldn't have this conversation, but this will be my first watch from this Cartier AD. I'm almost leading towards a Rolex DJ to support by AD, however I think my wife would prefer a Cartier.

Keen to hear how other would approach this...

A - Enjoy buying it from the Cartier AD for my wife... and stop bringing the 'valuation' element into the occasion

B - Don't be a sucker and buy the watch below list, elsewhere :-)

Thanks in advance for your input.
oo7ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:00 AM   #2
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
My family owned AD also sells this and other Richemont brands so in my case I'd pay MSRP for the purchase history.

In your case I'd buy where you can get the best price because its value is only going one way after purchase.
Old 22 March 2023, 03:04 AM   #3
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

When you say Cartier AD you mean the boutique right? Why waste money when they are pretty easy to get a nice discount on from multi-brand ADs? Unless there is something special you really want from the boutique and want to build up a profile.

When we got my wife her Santos we went to an AD for the discount and didn't go to the boutique (even though we've bought quite a few bracelets and rings from the boutique before).
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:32 AM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Seems fine to shop this piece based on price unless you see value (1,500 euros worth) in taking your wife to an AD or Cartier boutique for the luxury experience. I personally wouldn't.

And at 1,500 euros in savings, you're talking one hell of a nice dinner at which to present the watch. Just another way to think about it...
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:38 AM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
When you say Cartier AD you mean the boutique right? Why waste money when they are pretty easy to get a nice discount on from multi-brand ADs? Unless there is something special you really want from the boutique and want to build up a profile.

When we got my wife her Santos we went to an AD for the discount and didn't go to the boutique (even though we've bought quite a few bracelets and rings from the boutique before).
I like this approach. Don't go to the boutique, but a normal AD. The experience will be no different, but you'll get a discount.
Old 22 March 2023, 03:55 AM   #6
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all.

Sorry, just to be clear... the Cartier shop is part of a collection of 5 other shops (IWC, Breitling, Tudor, Cartier, Tag Heuer) all next to each other... however once you are in one, you can walk from one to the next inside too... so essentially one large 'shop'... as the lady in one shop actually brought me to Cartier and started showing me various Cartier watches.

I'm not sure of this means Cartier is an AD or a Boutique? If so, should I be asking for a discount?
Old 22 March 2023, 04:20 AM   #7
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
Thanks all.

Sorry, just to be clear... the Cartier shop is part of a collection of 5 other shops (IWC, Breitling, Tudor, Cartier, Tag Heuer) all next to each other... however once you are in one, you can walk from one to the next inside too... so essentially one large 'shop'... as the lady in one shop actually brought me to Cartier and started showing me various Cartier watches.

I'm not sure of this means Cartier is an AD or a Boutique? If so, should I be asking for a discount?
This sounds like an AD if they carry all those brands. A Cartier boutique would be a stand alone building or shop that only sells Cartier stuff and nothing else.

You should definitely ask for a discount. For reference my wife was able to get about 15% off a Santos last year during the peak of the watch craze without even asking (although I did buy my Patek from them), so I assume it should be even easier now. The worst that could happen is they say no.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 08:56 AM   #8
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Let the dealer know you're shopping around for the optimal price on the Cartier you've chosen, give them a sense for discounts available on the market, and say that you prefer to purchase from them at a competitive price based on your market research. I'm confident they'll take care of you.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 01:15 AM   #9
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks all. I just called and asked if there would be a discount (as I could buy the watch cheaper elsewhere)... and they said they can't even give €1 off the watch... their arms are tied as they have to report back directly to Cartier. Not sure what to do...