The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 10 February 2019, 05:41 AM   #1
AmericanInSpain
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II Warranty Issue

I've got a 2016 GMT Master II that stopped working. I wear this watch about 20% of the time and keep in on a watch winder. I'm still under the warranty period and took it in a week ago to an Authorized Rolex Retailer. I got a call today that the watch isn't covered because it was bumped and I used the mechanics correctly. The person on the phone couldn't actually say what I did as I've had hard knocks with this watch. I've got others that I've abused without any issues. I generally use this watch when traveling for work only. The cost of the repair is EUR 670.

Anyone ever come across this and have any guidance? I bought a new watch specifically for the warranty. I could have saved a lot of money buying a gray market watch or an older model out of warranty.
AmericanInSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 07:21 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Well, the question is, did you knock/drop it badly?

Since you call your own wear 'abuse' there might be a reason why the warranty is not honoured.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 07:46 AM   #3
Sprta
"TRF" Member

Depends on why the watch stopped working. If it was caused by something you did it would not be covered under the warranty.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInSpain View Post
. . . Anyone ever come across this and have any guidance? I bought a new watch specifically for the warranty. I could have saved a lot of money buying a gray market watch or an older model out of warranty.

A warranty is for a defect of manufacture, not for damage, neglect, or abuse.

I'm not saying that you did abuse your watch, only that if it is damage, rather than an issue with manufacture, it is not covered by a warranty.
Old 27 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #5
AmericanInSpain
"TRF" Member

This is a board room and airplane watch. The hardest knock it's ever had is bumping against a wooden door frame when walking through an entryway. Nothing that has ever made a mark. I've got other mechanical watches I use for anything sports or outdoor related. It's hands down the most pampered watch I've got. It's also the newest and the only one that I've ever had an issue with. It's also annoying because I get the feeling that the dealer is just making something up so they can do the repairs and make money off me and there is nothing you can even say to Rolex because you can only communicate through an Offical Rolex Retailer. The called me with the EUR 670 price and said the work would be covered for 1 year. I've got two years left on the original warranty. I asked for both a detailed estimate and information regarding the watch as picking two different issues "using it wrong" and "damaging it from impacts" didn't make sense. It seems like one or the other. They told me they would talk to the tech and call me back with information. I never heard back for two weeks and then called back myself and they had no idea what was going on and I finally got a call 2 1/2 weeks later and they just told me what they told me from day 1. I'm just picking up the watch and taking it somewhere else. Not really what I expect from Rolex service.
Old 28 February 2019, 03:54 AM   #6
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Yeah sounds like the dealer is just trying to squeeze money out of you. Do you have an official Rolex service center in Spain? I would send it in to them directly.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 06:34 PM   #7
AmericanInSpain
"TRF" Member

Just to follow up. The Authorized Rolex Rolex retailer ended up asking for EUR 800 to repair the watch. I took it to a Service Centre and they fixed it for free in 2 weeks and cleaned it as well. That's extremely poor that a Store that the Rolex website sends people to then tries to not honor a warranty so they can make extra money for themselves. I got lucky and there was a service centre near by but not everyone will have access to that.
Old 30 March 2019, 09:27 PM   #8
rollieguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: utalkinboutwillis
Glad to hear everything worked out in the end for you. I've had only good experiences at Rolex Service Centre's, but not so much from Rolex dealers. I find that the dealers are best just for buying watches and to look elsewhere when servicing.
Old 30 March 2019, 10:09 PM   #9
usling15
"TRF" Member

I hope you go back to that dealer, speak to management & let them know they were trying to scam you.
usling15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 10:36 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by usling15 View Post
I hope you go back to that dealer, speak to management & let them know they were trying to scam you.
Before the thread posts judgement on the store for trying to ‘scam money’ out of the OP; it is important to note that RSC can and do work ‘free of charge’ but it is not ‘under warranty’.

It is possible the OP got a goodwill repair because he complained. It is also possible that the store was wrong to charge. But without the facts judgement should be reserved.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #11
AmericanInSpain
"TRF" Member

When I took the watch to the RSC I simply told them the watched stopped. They looked at the warranty card and said "It's still under warranty. Have a seat and give me a couple of minutes" They said it would be ready in about two weeks and they would email or call me whatever my preference. The store called was supposed to return phone calls with clarification emails multiple times over 3 weeks and never followed up. I would call they would tell me they needed to talk to the tech and would return my call but never did. Eventually, they finally called after 3 weeks and said I needed to come back to the store so they could explain my quote. That's when I just told them that I'll just pick up the watch. This will be the last time I ever take a watch to a store to get any work done. It was an extremely frustrating experience all around.
Old 8 April 2019, 08:22 AM   #12
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

so sad to hear what was the dealers suggestion?
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 08:51 AM   #13
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Glad to hear you got it resolved in the end.

Poor show by the AD trying to charge you for f.o.c warranty work.

Just out of curiosity, did the service centre tell you why the watch had stopped working?

Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote