The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2019, 04:11 AM   #31
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Next time try Watchrecon and trusted sellers on TRF.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:12 AM   #32
desmomini
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the seller is supposed to pay the 3%, not the buyer.

+1 on calling PayPal for satisfaction.
desmomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:14 AM   #33
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
Next time try Watchrecon and trusted sellers on TRF.
FYI None of these take Paypal (if they do - you pay the fees)
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:26 AM   #34
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly View Post
Call PayPal. They don't play. Don't settle for the run-in-the-mill customer service rep... talk to a supervisor. If it is a violation of Paypal's rules, you will get your money back. The trick is to get past the flunky (who will most likely shut you down) and speak to the supervisor.

(Ignore the people who are making fun of you for calling it the worst experience ever. Everything is relative, so it probably was the worst watch experience for you. Some people just have to hurl insults... Never mind. Carry on.)
Thank you so much. Indeed, you try to warn people in order to help them avoid disappointment, and you get crucified for a word poorly written or poorly conceived.

Again, thank you for the kind and sensible words.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:29 AM   #35
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Just read about people who like to protect their watches by keeping them in green velvet travelling pouches as much as possible. OP sounds like he might live in one
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:35 AM   #36
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
Just read about people who like to protect their watches by keeping them in green velvet travelling pouches as much as possible. OP sounds like he might live in one
Old 20 March 2019, 04:35 AM   #37
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Good Luck, Your sister has not received the watch yet.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:47 AM   #38
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:52 AM   #39
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

From the Paypal Community Website:

A Merchant or Seller cannot pass on the transaction processing fees to their customers - this is called a Surcharge and is "clearly" addressed in the User Agreement. However, the Merchant or Seller can apply a "handling" fee to cover additional costs such as shipping/packaging materials and/or labor. The Merchant or Seller should have there policies explained on there web site for any additional costs incurred by the customer.

If you peruse thought the User Agreement - simply search on the word "surcharge" you will find that PayPal's Policies are quite straight forward. You may want to first contact the Merchant or Seller concerning their practice, should they not be in tune with what you're explaining, your next step would be to let the Merchant or Seller know that you will be contacting PayPal's Customer Support to report their violation of the User Agreement.

If you want the money back, go get it
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:04 AM   #40
never ready
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ER
Friendly forum.
Worse watch buying experience ever...
never ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:05 AM   #41
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
From the Paypal Community Website:

A Merchant or Seller cannot pass on the transaction processing fees to their customers - this is called a Surcharge and is "clearly" addressed in the User Agreement. However, the Merchant or Seller can apply a "handling" fee to cover additional costs such as shipping/packaging materials and/or labor. The Merchant or Seller should have there policies explained on there web site for any additional costs incurred by the customer.

If you peruse thought the User Agreement - simply search on the word "surcharge" you will find that PayPal's Policies are quite straight forward. You may want to first contact the Merchant or Seller concerning their practice, should they not be in tune with what you're explaining, your next step would be to let the Merchant or Seller know that you will be contacting PayPal's Customer Support to report their violation of the User Agreement.

If you want the money back, go get it
Thank you so much. I have already contacted PayPal. Thank you.

As I mentioned earlier, for me it’s a matter of principle. Sadly, principles are not very popular now days.
Old 20 March 2019, 05:05 AM   #42
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(she whimsically buys a couple of new Rolex a year).
Why?

If you buy a couple (minimum of 2) wouldn't you have the whole collection within 10-20 years? How does that make sense.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #43
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
They make money by buying cheap and selling expensive. The money is in the margin, not in the fee. They make $2000 or more in margin, when the fee would be $200.

I was just asking for a break in the price (I believe a normal part of buying a watch) by way of foregoing the fee. I was told it was fine if I paid with PayPal and then they turned on their word.

It's not the money, as a matter of fact, I was buying the watch for my sister, with her money. It's the principle (weird concept now days) of not honoring their word.
I'm talking about Paypal, not Bob's watches.
Old 20 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #44
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmike03 View Post
Bobs has been dodgy lately. I have bought with them before, but I dont think I will again. I almost bought a DJ from them a few weeks ago but noticed the endlink had a huge dent in it. Since it was listed as "excellent, like new" I called to see if this was just a reflection.

The man on the phone was a bit stern and stated that the endlink was in fact damaged, but it was still "like new, excellent" condition. When I asked how, he repeatedly said that it is a 20 year old watch and this was like new condition for a watch of this vintage. He stated that a polishing wheel or some other mechanical refurbish caused the damage.

When I asked him how this was "like new condition" he continued to talk circles, and finally said daily wear is normal on these watches. How is damage like that daily wear and tear?? He could not explain, and continued to say that it is like new condition due to it's age. I should try to find the item and post it.

Just found it: https://www.bobswatches.com/mens-rol...eel-16234.html
Bob’s definition of excellent:
Excellent - A watch in this condition will show very slight signs of wear

Haha a bit past very slight sign. I’ve been beating the piss out of my sub for 8 years and I don’t have a dent like that!
Old 20 March 2019, 05:10 AM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmomini View Post
Yeah, the seller is supposed to pay the 3%, not the buyer.

+1 on calling PayPal for satisfaction.
its a matter of wording nothing more IMO so a technicality. I guess their mistake isn't having a cash/wire price and a CC/PP price.

There is nothing wrong with having a cash discount. Its the same thing. The higher list price is to mitigate the fees. You get a cash discount if you pay via another method. The only difference is its not added as a surcharge, its already in the price. The cash discount backs that out at the time of purchase.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:12 AM   #46
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by never ready View Post
Friendly forum.
Worse watch buying experience ever...
Worst... Anyways, thank you so much. Thank you for your understanding and decency.
Old 20 March 2019, 05:14 AM   #47
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'm sure the OP meant worst experience (in buying a watch). Gee we are on a watch forum after all.
Some of us take things way too literally

OP hope you get refunded and thanks for the heads up. PayPal is a good business from my experience, I'd follow Fleetlord's advice.

Bottom line it doesn't matter who is charging the fee, Bob's needs to have accurate info for purchasers. Plus, if they were aware of the way the transaction is processed, they could easily have reduced the price on the front end to compensate you and net out.

ADs are great and preference as well. Great experiences for me with Thanh and DavidSW though as well with pre-owned watches.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:21 AM   #48
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
That’s just bad customer service. The person that answered the phone could have and should have been a little more kind in their response. The second person should not have been misleading and sleazy sales person.

Sorry for your bad buying experience. It would piss me off too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:34 AM   #49
desmomini
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a matter of wording nothing more IMO so a technicality. I guess their mistake isn't having a cash/wire price and a CC/PP price.

There is nothing wrong with having a cash discount. Its the same thing. The higher list price is to mitigate the fees. You get a cash discount if you pay via another method. The only difference is its not added as a surcharge, its already in the price. The cash discount backs that out at the time of purchase.
It's not already in the price. If it was, it would be fine. You can quote a credit card/PP price and offer a cash discount, but you can't quote a cash price and then add a CC/PP surcharge. This practice can get the vendor in hot water with the credit card companies and with PayPal.

Just looked at Bob's site - added a $8,950 watch to the shopping cart, chose PayPal as the means of payment, and the price jumped $268.50 with a new line item "PayPal fee". This is clearly against PayPal's rules.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
desmomini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:49 AM   #50
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmomini View Post
It's not already in the price. If it was, it would be fine. You can quote a credit card/PP price and offer a cash discount, but you can't quote a cash price and then add a CC/PP surcharge. This practice can get the vendor in hot water with the credit card companies and with PayPal.

Just looked at Bob's site - added a $8,950 watch to the shopping cart, chose PayPal as the means of payment, and the price jumped $268.50 with a new line item "PayPal fee". This is clearly against PayPal's rules.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
you are saying the same thing i am. Just saying they can make you pay the fee. The seller doesnt have to eat it so their mistake is the wording/how they list prices. A simple 3% increase on everything and offer a 3% discount for cash would be fine. Had they done that OP would pay the exact same price he did. therefore its not that big of a deal if he would have paid it anyway had they not been stupid in how they list items.

If the resolution is a net neutral outcome then what's the point?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 March 2019, 05:50 AM   #51
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Exactly.. I'm truly lost here, glad someone agrees!
I had a worse experience buying a cup of coffee this morning....Maybe we are all becoming jaded in the current market... :)
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:51 AM   #52
OliverTwist
"TRF" Member

I continue to be amazed at how cruel and childish some people are here. I can only take so much until I stop participating for a few years. It almost makes me ashamed to even have anything in common with such people. Sad.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:52 AM   #53
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTwist View Post
I continue to be amazed at how cruel and childish some people are here. I can only take so much until I stop participating for a few years. It almost makes me ashamed to even have anything in common with such people. Sad.
fake outrage. Where is a cruel post? really.

Its almost like saying its the worst experience ever.

OP is getting plenty of help and you have been here 4 months and threatening to leave. strange
Old 20 March 2019, 06:11 AM   #54
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Sorry to hear about your experience with Bob's. I have never bought from them but I think their website is good at 1) saying very specifically the shown price is a cash wire price and that any fees will be added to the price, and 2) showing you ball parkish idea of their mark up (30-40%) by giving you an estimate of how much they are buying the watch for, and how much they are selling it for.

If anything, this is a lesson for all of us to not just accept verbal communications over the phone and always ask for a written quote (email , etc.) when dealing with any special discount negotiations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap1634.jpg (14.7 KB, 186 views)

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 08:08 AM   #55
OliverTwist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
fake outrage. Where is a cruel post? really.

Its almost like saying its the worst experience ever.

OP is getting plenty of help and you have been here 4 months and threatening to leave. strange
So many use any opportunity to attack and criticize every little thing. Hard to find a popular thread that doesn't have some nastiness and criticism. I'm glad to see some coming to the defense of the OP. It's obvious what he meant and if it isn't obvious to some, it's sad they cant find a way to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for the criticism though. I'll refrain from pointing out your mistakes. BTW, I've been involved here for over a decade.
OliverTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 08:12 AM   #56
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
All I have to add is congratulations to your sister, and I hope she enjoys it.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 08:41 AM   #57
nick800
"TRF" Member

I don’t like Bob’s, but I guarantee you ain’t getting your money back. Bob’s is doing >$100m annual sales. I’m sure the language on their site has been vetted.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 09:20 AM   #58
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

OP, thanks for posting your experience. That's total BS on their part! They should have honored their word. It seems that Bob's reviews are hot and cold, from both buyers and people selling to them. I actually considered purchasing a watch from them before, but the negative reviews kept me away. Your experience is just another confirmation that I made the right choice!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 10:53 AM   #59
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I had a similar experience with Bobs, basically my fault for not reading pages of fine print I guess.

D3AF4911-5010-47E7-BEA8-36715088458B.jpeg

This is a screen print from Bobs current website that shows up when about to choose payment method, as you can see, it says “Save 3% off by choosing wire”
When I was buying my 116600 I read that and agreed to send a wire, I expected 3% off the list price, but I was charged the full price. When I emailed they explained the 3% off was by avoiding the surcharge. I was not satisfied but wasn’t going to get waste time arguing about a couple of hundred bucks. And I really wanted an 116600 so I paid it. When the watch arrived, I was disappointed to note that the bracelet was too small. I guess they remove a link to keep the bracelet large enough to be worn by those with 7 1/2 inch wrist, and mine is 7 3/4 but all the other ceramic sports Rolexe watches I have purchased have fit almost perfectly out of the box. Both of these issues are disclosed on the website, but not obvious if you aren’t smart enough to read all the terms and conditions on every website you might miss them. I had to wear it with the dive extension open until my AD supplied me with a new link.

Honestly I was a bit annoyed by the process of buying from them, but the most important fact is they did deliver a very nice watch in great shape. Now that I understand what to expect, I wouldn’t avoid buying from them if they had something I wanted but they could definitely improve their service IMO.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:00 AM   #60
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
The other day at Starbucks I ordered a double shot espresso and cream. They only gave me one shot. ONE SHOT! Can you believe the nerve?
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote