The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 March 2019, 05:48 AM   #1
lostinthedream
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Getting on Waitlist for '19 Basel Watches

Hello Everyone,

Couldn't get myself on any waitlists for a SS GMT in the past month (no longer accepting people onto them in my local ADs), so here's my question to you:

Should Baselworld 2019 bring any new/updated SS GMT models, how should I go about getting on the waitlist? Should I call them as soon as a new watch is announced? Hover outside the AD and wait for it to open? Or is the waitlist these days just for VVVIPs (smh)?

Thanks for your advice!
lostinthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:49 AM   #2
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthedream View Post
Hello Everyone,

Couldn't get myself on any waitlists for a SS GMT in the past month (no longer accepting people onto them in my local ADs), so here's my question to you:

Should Baselworld 2019 bring any new/updated SS GMT models, how should I go about getting on the waitlist? Should I call them as soon as a new watch is announced? Hover outside the AD and wait for it to open? Or is the waitlist these days just for VVVIPs (smh)?

Thanks for your advice!
If there is anything I like that is announced tomorrow, I'm going to call a few ADs to get on the waitlist. If I remember correctly, I think Rolex releases their new models in August/September of the same year after announcement.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 05:56 AM   #3
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Pray and then hope you are a VVVIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:01 AM   #4
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
It's like going to Walt Disney World on the 4th of July. You walk around the corner to Space Mountain and see the line stretching all the way back to the monorail station.
Old 20 March 2019, 06:05 AM   #5
tng11
"TRF" Member

Chronological lists are a myth today. AD lists are dynamic, often the whales and VVVVIPs have first dibs on hot new releases anyways. Having no prior relationship with an AD and trying to get a hot new release from one is like farting in the wind. At best you'll be placed onto a placebo "waiting list" that ends up in the bin a few seconds after you walk out or hang up.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:05 AM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Somebody will put you on a wait list, but it's not actually a wait list. It's more like a waiting forever list.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:08 AM   #7
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
To be quite honest it probably doesn't matter if you call right when they open or the following week. Because there is the watch list, but there is also the VIP client list. The VIP list is getting offered watches they didn't even ask for before anyone on the watch list that expressed interest even gets a call.

I'd have a conversation with your local AD sales rep, let them know the watches you have planned to purchase in the next few years and your priorities. First one on your list they offer you buy, and go from there. Unfortunately, kind of the game you have to play in this market for the time being.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:08 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
If you've never bought anything from an AD, regardless of how quickly you call them, it makes no difference.

The relationship is important and ADs aren't selling the hottest watches (which they can sell to basically anyone) to a random who is the first to ring.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:11 AM   #9
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Waitlists now are just a way for them to keep the information of potential interested parties. Pieces will always fall first to VVVVVIPs if they are available and interested, and then secondly to people who just happen to be in the right place at the right time. I secured my BLNR because I had already bought a watch from them and had just happened to be in the store when the shipment arrived. My salesman had to check with the store manager to make sure it hadn't been promised to a VVVVVIP within the next 24-48 hours before he could sell it to me.
Old 20 March 2019, 06:13 AM   #10
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Brought to you my DeLorean

Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:14 AM   #11
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
My AD is not taking any newcomers this year. Each SA there will choose four of their clients who will get spots if they want anything. Their list will be no longer than what they think they can deliver within two years.
I’m sure it varies some by reference but as an example BLRO’s starting showing up in early June last year and it seemed to be worldwide.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:16 AM   #12
garbanzo
"TRF" Member

If you decide to rush in as soon as the AD opens, don’t forget the box of chocolates
Old 20 March 2019, 06:18 AM   #13
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Let me put it to you this way. I believed in “lists”. Called my local AD morning of, was told I was first to call. Then was told we will get you one but unfortunately you won’t be first. I then asked about other watches I had been previously put on lists for only to come to the realization that no list exists. They have the super vips (your super rich or celebrity type) then they have their “grey” guy. Most shops have both. The ones that are most profitable get the hot watches. In some ways it makes sense. Why give that one hard to get piece to joe public who’s only gonna be a one watch man when you can sell it to the guy that has bought every model in the lineup regardless of value retention. It’s been a year, the only time the AD has talked to me is when I follow up.... I’ve moved on
Old 20 March 2019, 06:20 AM   #14
Filledat
"TRF" Member

How I do this:

I have the Personal number from my AD and Text him asap they accounce tomorrow - if i m Interested.
Filledat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 06:59 AM   #15
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

my AD said take your time.... decide what you want and let her know in a couple weeks.

she'll add me to the list and I will get it within the year.

Since i got the Pepsi (Dec 2018) and daytona C black (Oct 2017) and white (Feb 2017) the same way, i have no reason not to believe her ;-)
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 07:27 AM   #16
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

I started lobbying for the watches in January. Not joking. Followed up early March to make sure they keep me in mind. Also, I have bought 6 watches exclusively from them and know the AD since 2014! Send postcards occasionally. Not exaggerating. This works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 07:28 AM   #17
lostinthedream
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses! Might just drop by and see what they say. Doesn't help that I'm in a large city with lots of VVVVVVIPs, but one AD knows me now...
lostinthedream is offline   Reply With Quote