The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 March 2019, 02:57 AM   #1
Juantxo
Banned

Worse experience ever...

My sister, 60, got her first Rolex when she was 15. That was a two-tone 29mm (?) Dayjust with a beautiful ivory textile-like dial. Ever since then she has become an avid watch gatherer (she whimsically buys a couple of new Rolex a year).

Lately she has been buying larger watches from the Professional line, and her last fatal attraction has been the Explorer ll with white dial. However, at 42mm it feels awkward on her wrist. So I suggested a 40mm Polar Explorer. She wouldn't leave me alone until I found one for her.

And a Polar (16570) I found with box and papers at Bob's Watches. I avoid secondary market dealers as I have been buying my watches from the same authorized dealer for decades, and not only do I get substantial discounts, I also get Daytonas, etc. at retail (no tax). But this time I had no choice.

So I called Bob's. First I asked, very, very nicely if they would forgo the 3% surcharge for buying with credit card or PayPal. A too firm no was the response. I called my sister and she told me to buy it anyways. So I call again and this time a man answers the phone. Again I ask very kindly about the 3% surcharge. He tells me that if I buy by way of PayPal I won't have to pay the 3%. Are you sure...? Of course. Just proceed buying the watch from our website. Oh, my, thank you so much. Are you sure...? Yes, of course, go ahead and buy the watch.

And I go through the process of buying the watch. When I get to the pay here window, I see a 3% surcharge for paying with PayPal and the $100 for registering my email address with them is not discounted in the invoice.

I call again and ask for the man I had talked to earlier. His response: oh, but that's PayPal charging the fee, not us. I never said... What a liar. Disgusting. I talked to two other people, no one would honor his word.

My sister wanted the watch anyhow, it was her money, so I had to buy it. However, I would never ever even visit that website again. If you don't honor your word, if you then lie, you are worthless. I hope the watch arrives in decent condition, at least. It was listed as in "excellent" condition.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:09 AM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
That would piss me off as well
Old 20 March 2019, 03:11 AM   #3
gyang333
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 36
I bought my Sub with them recently and the person I worked with was very helpful and polite. I did call back after the fact wanting the extract of the service/work they did on the watch I bought and the guy I spoke with was basically completely useless and had no idea what he was talking about.
gyang333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:15 AM   #4
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Thats the worst experience ever??
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:17 AM   #5
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 16234
Bobs has been dodgy lately. I have bought with them before, but I dont think I will again. I almost bought a DJ from them a few weeks ago but noticed the endlink had a huge dent in it. Since it was listed as "excellent, like new" I called to see if this was just a reflection.

The man on the phone was a bit stern and stated that the endlink was in fact damaged, but it was still "like new, excellent" condition. When I asked how, he repeatedly said that it is a 20 year old watch and this was like new condition for a watch of this vintage. He stated that a polishing wheel or some other mechanical refurbish caused the damage.

When I asked him how this was "like new condition" he continued to talk circles, and finally said daily wear is normal on these watches. How is damage like that daily wear and tear?? He could not explain, and continued to say that it is like new condition due to it's age. I should try to find the item and post it.

Just found it: https://www.bobswatches.com/mens-rol...eel-16234.html

Last edited by cptmike03; 20 March 2019 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: add link
cptmike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:19 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I am not one to judge your experience but the $100 is the cost of doing business. The guy was wrong and mistaken - as long as your sister is happy does it really matter? Simply dont use bob's again. Alternatively try watchrecon.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:19 AM   #7
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Has anyone else noticed that a whole lot of the online watch dealers just throw a blanket "excellent" on all their inventory. I happened upon on that has several scratches in the sidecase and a small gouge on the edge, yup, this too was "excellent."
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:21 AM   #8
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurus View Post
Thats the worst experience ever??
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Life is good if that's as bad as it gets!
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:22 AM   #9
R G
Banned

Bogus service, but if that’s the worst experience you’ve ever had, then you’re really lucky.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:22 AM   #10
MSchott
"TRF" Member

I assume the site routes you to PayPal. If so, there is no way not to pay the fee. The seller would have to reduce the price of the watch by 3% to compensate. He did not lie, it seems there was some miscommunication.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:22 AM   #11
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Ok - Paypal has been known to add a fee...that is how they make money.
If you were unfamiliar with that - I get your reaction.
Old 20 March 2019, 03:23 AM   #12
cptmike03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 16234
Yes they do, and another thing about Bobs that I learned (after I bought a watch from them) is that they claim every watch is served by a Rolex certified watchmaker, BUT will NOT guarantee the watch is accurate to COSC standards. In fact the man on the phone said that they will not guarantee any accuracy and that "no online pre-owned dealer will" I called because mine was only accurate to 6 seconds a day and I was shocked at this.
cptmike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:26 AM   #13
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Whatever happened to...buy..the seller..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:28 AM   #14
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
I do not mean to come off as mean spirited, but their payment terms are very clear on their website. I could see where trying to haggle over the phone could easily lead to misunderstandings. I have purchased from Bob's and had a very professional experience. If I was in your shoes, I'd just put it on a card that gives me 2% cash back (Citi Double Cash card) so I'd really only be paying 1% for the security my credit card provides. Hopefully your sister loves the watch!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:29 AM   #15
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
I hope in the end, the watch brings your sister and yourself some joy
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:30 AM   #16
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Worst experience ever??? Truly First World problems!!

If someone can well afford multiple Rolex watches, you shouldn't be even worried about 3% charge which is actually legal charge via Paypal. Secondly make a post about it.I want to be as polite as possible here you are talking about 3% charge of a used watch for someone who buys 2 new Rolex a year!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:32 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

best experience ever for me. I was expecting an AD rant.... and it wasn't

Sorry for your experience, but you kind of made my day, so i hope that helps

and we have paragraphs, that never happens
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:33 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
My sister, 60, got her first Rolex when she was 15. That was a two-tone 29mm (?) Dayjust with a beautiful ivory textile-like dial. Ever since then she has become an avid watch gatherer (she whimsically buys a couple of new Rolex a year).

Lately she has been buying larger watches from the Professional line, and her last fatal attraction has been the Explorer ll with white dial. However, at 42mm it feels awkward on her wrist. So I suggested a 40mm Polar Explorer. She wouldn't leave me alone until I found one for her.

And a Polar (16570) I found with box and papers at Bob's Watches. I avoid secondary market dealers as I have been buying my watches from the same authorized dealer for decades, and not only do I get substantial discounts, I also get Daytonas, etc. at retail (no tax). But this time I had no choice.

So I called Bob's. First I asked, very, very nicely if they would forgo the 3% surcharge for buying with credit card or PayPal. A too firm no was the response. I called my sister and she told me to buy it anyways. So I call again and this time a man answers the phone. Again I ask very kindly about the 3% surcharge. He tells me that if I buy by way of PayPal I won't have to pay the 3%. Are you sure...? Of course. Just proceed buying the watch from our website. Oh, my, thank you so much. Are you sure...? Yes, of course, go ahead and buy the watch.

And I go through the process of buying the watch. When I get to the pay here window, I see a 3% surcharge for paying with PayPal and the $100 for registering my email address with them is not discounted in the invoice.

I call again and ask for the man I had talked to earlier. His response: oh, but that's PayPal charging the fee, not us. I never said... What a liar. Disgusting. I talked to two other people, no one would honor his word.

My sister wanted the watch anyhow, it was her money, so I had to buy it. However, I would never ever even visit that website again. If you don't honor your word, if you then lie, you are worthless. I hope the watch arrives in decent condition, at least. It was listed as in "excellent" condition.
Well if thats the worse experience you will face in your life you truly will be very fortunate.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:34 AM   #19
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well if thats the worse experience you will face in your life you truly will be very fortunate.
Exactly.. I'm truly lost here, glad someone agrees!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:35 AM   #20
Juantxo
Banned

I buy all sorts of things thru PayPal and they have NEVER charged me a fee. The fee is charged to the vendor.

The point is that they are haughty, I was lied to about the 3% not been charged when paying with PayPal, and no one would honor what I had been told. Moreover, the PayPal invoice was from Bob's.

Indeed, I have been lucky. I have always avoided non-authorized dealers and the gray market, and have always bought from my local dealer. Just the same, I don't recommend Bob's and I will never buy from them again.
Old 20 March 2019, 03:35 AM   #21
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’d probably try to haggle on the watch price or shipping, rather than the cc fee. Good news, it’s a great watch.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #22
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
well he does live in utopia so you know...

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:44 AM   #23
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Sounds a little shady and disappointing, but coming here to complain won't help much my friend. If this is the "worse" - which is a comparison adjective, worse compared to what? Finding $100 bill on the ground? Yes, this would be worse than that. If you meant "worst" experience ever, than I want your life. Sounds gravy.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:44 AM   #24
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Ok - Paypal has been known to add a fee...that is how they make money.
If you were unfamiliar with that - I get your reaction.
They make money by buying cheap and selling expensive. The money is in the margin, not in the fee. They make $2000 or more in margin, when the fee would be $200.

I was just asking for a break in the price (I believe a normal part of buying a watch) by way of foregoing the fee. I was told it was fine if I paid with PayPal and then they turned on their word.

It's not the money, as a matter of fact, I was buying the watch for my sister, with her money. It's the principle (weird concept now days) of not honoring their word.
Old 20 March 2019, 03:46 AM   #25
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln View Post
I’d probably try to haggle on the watch price or shipping, rather than the cc fee. Good news, it’s a great watch.
Well, I was trying to get a break in the price by way of forgoing the fee. Same difference.

Nice watch, indeed. Thank you. I own one myself.
Old 20 March 2019, 03:49 AM   #26
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This is not the worst experience ever. Not even close. Not even in the top 1,000,000 experiences.

But, you are right in that Bobs is not supposed to charge to cover the Paypal fees. That fee is on their end for Paypal to process the transaction and they passed it on to you through their Ecommerce software. That is against Paypal regulations.

I would suggest complaining to everyone about everything.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:49 AM   #27
42mm Scud Missile
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 POLAR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxy View Post
worst experience ever??? Truly first world problems!!

If someone can well afford multiple rolex watches, you shouldn't be even worried about 3% charge which is actually legal charge via paypal. Secondly make a post about it.i want to be as polite as possible here you are talking about 3% charge of a used watch for someone who buys 2 new rolex a year!
+1
42mm Scud Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:53 AM   #28
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that a whole lot of the online watch dealers just throw a blanket "excellent" on all their inventory. I happened upon on that has several scratches in the sidecase and a small gouge on the edge, yup, this too was "excellent."
Yes ever used beat up watch is now excellent...and overpolished watches excellent....never trust them analyze the pics hard and lug size first....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 03:56 AM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
unless it says unpolished assume it is... and thus its in excellent condition.

The good ones know what they are doing but i would prefer RSC do my polishing
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 04:04 AM   #30
Wizardly
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Call PayPal. They don't play. Don't settle for the run-in-the-mill customer service rep... talk to a supervisor. If it is a violation of Paypal's rules, you will get your money back. The trick is to get past the flunky (who will most likely shut you down) and speak to the supervisor.

(Ignore the people who are making fun of you for calling it the worst experience ever. Everything is relative, so it probably was the worst watch experience for you. Some people just have to hurl insults... Never mind. Carry on.)