The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2009, 03:32 AM   #1
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Does anyone have an Omega Crystal Ball?

Does anyone here at TRF have an Omega Crystal Ball? I've got a few questions regarding future models....here they are. Any and all comments are apprectiated.

1. When will Omega release their Caliber 9300? Its an Omega in-house, 14-ligne, self-winding, column wheel chronograph movement. Basel next year?

2. When will the Seamaster Planet Ocean come with the 8500 caliber? Price point? $5000?

#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 04:07 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Very good questions, Chris. Someone here might have a better idea than I would but truly only Omega will know the definate answer to those.

Regarding the new Planet Ocean price, maybe the Aqua Terra can be a bit of a guide. That already has the 8500 in it but not sure what MSRP is in USD vs the older model. Keeping in mind those with the new movements (even ladies models) have Sapphire / Transparent casebacks. The current Planet Ocean (45.5 and all others) has a list price of $4,500.00 CAD. Either way, can not wait to see what Omega does.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2009, 04:48 AM   #3
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Very good questions, Chris. Someone here might have a better idea than I would but truly only Omega will know the definate answer to those.

Regarding the new Planet Ocean price, maybe the Aqua Terra can be a bit of a guide. That already has the 8500 in it but not sure what MSRP is in USD vs the older model. Keeping in mind those with the new movements (even ladies models) have Sapphire / Transparent casebacks. The current Planet Ocean (45.5 and all others) has a list price of $4,500.00 CAD. Either way, can not wait to see what Omega does.
I guessed at $5000 using that same logic. The 8500 Aqua Terra sells for around $4500, roughly $1500 more than its caliber 2500 version. So add $1500 to the PO price of $3500ish and its around $5000. But thats just a guess, it may be more, it may be less.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
Old 21 July 2009, 05:39 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Ah ok, and yeah I have a feeling it would be around that range somewhere too. The 8500 is a great movement it seems, I for one though somehow perfer the way the 2500 is decorated. Also not too big on in-house movements, so the newer models unless it is a different watch to one already in my collection for the future will not tempt me to buy. Either way, Omega is doing some amazing things right now with their product line. The prices will go up like crazy yet again (first with the Co-Axial models now in-house) but it will be interesting to see exactly what they do.
Old 21 July 2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I don't think that prices are going to do anything but go up.

And they have already stated in Watch-Time that the Co-axial is the movement of the future for Omega.. They want to get back to the top of the heap as a premier watch manufacturer.

I might be tempted if an 8500 found it's way into the Seamaster.... but they would have to go back to those great sword hands too........... otherwise, no deal for me.
Old 21 July 2009, 03:04 PM   #6
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't think that prices are going to do anything but go up.

And they have already stated in Watch-Time that the Co-axial is the movement of the future for Omega.. They want to get back to the top of the heap as a premier watch manufacturer.

I might be tempted if an 8500 found it's way into the Seamaster.... but they would have to go back to those great sword hands too........... otherwise, no deal for me.
Yeah, thats what Im waiting for. The professional diver Seamaster will be a great matchup against the Submariner...when it has the 8500 caliber. More of an apples to apples comparison.
#15,634

Old 22 July 2009, 02:08 AM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

That watch is SOO popular! Read on a topic (think it was on this forum too) about how the Boutique in NYC had so much requests / demand for the watch your speaking of before, they had to search all AD's for inventory to bring there but could not find any. Best part about the older one was the price range. A watch that most could actually afford to use as a beater and not have to baby as much when doing work or activities. Parts were reasonable and most of all any competant watch maker could do repairs on it for you for far less than Omega charges, ideal watch. Even though the Planet Ocean now has that same hour marker pattern (my guess is that is partly why they discontinued that and the new black 212.30 Seamasters like the 007 model). Only time will tell though but the demand is clearly there.