The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2019, 06:13 PM   #61
Skov
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that still happens!
I had the exact same awful experience on the streets of Naples / Napoli where lost my old man's 1680 Red Submariner, serial number 3059778 with a small 3 letter initials engraving on the back. Don't ask me why I brought it there, but if anyone helps me locate the watch it will be generously rewarded. Write me here or at masterskov (at) gmail dot com.
Old 13 June 2019, 06:27 PM   #62
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=678946&page=2
A lucky guy from this thread played with fire.
Old 13 June 2019, 07:04 PM   #63
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skov View Post
Sorry to hear that still happens!
I had the exact same awful experience on the streets of Naples / Napoli where lost my old man's 1680 Red Submariner, serial number 3059778 with a small 3 letter initials engraving on the back. Don't ask me why I brought it there, but if anyone helps me locate the watch it will be generously rewarded. Write me here or at masterskov (at) gmail dot com.
You should start a new thread.
Old 13 June 2019, 07:05 PM   #64
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Sad to hear about your friend. Hope he wasn't emotionally attached to the piece and that his psychological damage is limited.

Regarding the ramblings about naples being dangerous... Keep it to the facts. Statistically Naples is safer than Milan, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Turin.
Those are all cities I visited wearing "expensive" Audemars and Rolex's timepieces and using public transport without being assaulted. Reading comments here one would think I have extremely lucky, but in reality people walk the streets daily in the thousands without incidents. Being smart and aware of ones surrounding goes along way.
Old 13 June 2019, 07:35 PM   #65
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Sad to hear about your friend. Hope he wasn't emotionally attached to the piece and that his psychological damage is limited.

Regarding the ramblings about naples being dangerous... Keep it to the facts. Statistically Naples is safer than Milan, Florence, Rome, Bologna and Turin.
Those are all cities I visited wearing "expensive" Audemars and Rolex's timepieces and using public transport without being assaulted. Reading comments here one would think I have extremely lucky, but in reality people walk the streets daily in the thousands without incidents. Being smart and aware of ones surrounding goes along way.
I would agree with you if I hadn't heard so many warnings about Naples from locals. One day the AVIS manager gave me a different car when he heard that I'm going in that area))
Old 13 June 2019, 07:46 PM   #66
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
I would agree with you if I hadn't heard so many warnings about Naples from locals. One day the AVIS manager gave me a different car when he heard that I'm going in that area))
The facts still are that statistically Naples is not an extreme crime hub. Well be it that the AVIS manager had bad (unfortunate) experience with Naples but that is what it is. I appreciate concern for others on this forums well being but we should not spread bad rumours that aren't true. To much of that is already going on these days...
Old 13 June 2019, 08:01 PM   #67
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
The facts still are that statistically Naples is not an extreme crime hub. Well be it that the AVIS manager had bad (unfortunate) experience with Naples but that is what it is. I appreciate concern for others on this forums well being but we should not spread bad rumours that aren't true. To much of that is already going on these days...
When at Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, Romans not reccomended to me to wear Rolex in Naples.
I know that the North of Italy became the hub of illegal immigration and, statistically, Milan probably became worse. But that doesn't make Naples a nice place
Old 14 June 2019, 12:33 AM   #68
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
My $50 used Swatch Irony quartz is an integral part of my watch collection and follows me around the world in my travels. Expensive watches are just a PITA to worry about in foreign travels from both a damage and theft standpoint. A decent camera is enough of a problem.
Old 14 June 2019, 03:26 PM   #69
Brian HCM#1
"TRF" Member

I was in Italy last week, Venice, Florence, Rome, Pisa, Sorrento, Amalfi coast & Capri. This week Greece, Mykonos, Santorini and today Crete. I left my 1803 & 116520 at home. Just wear my $700 Locman that I purchased in Capri a few years back. I keep that as my travel watch. Much less stress when traveling.
Old 14 June 2019, 05:19 PM   #70
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Naples has always been a higher risk city. When I visited a few years ago, I kept my sleeves rolled down, and was constantly alert.
Old 15 June 2019, 02:25 AM   #71
b-man
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18k rolex 8952
I've been to Europe about ten times, picpocketed twice in Rome. My friend from the US, then living near Napoli, advised me to dress down. Ballcaps, fanny packs, cameras around the neck will identify you as an American tourist and a potential target for thieves. I took his advice on subsequent trips, ditched my ballcap and carried my small camera (before smartphones) in a plain plastic bag. It worked well enough that a few locals started conversations with me in Italian, no longer having a clue I was a foreign tourist.
Closed Thread