The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 December 2020, 10:24 AM   #31
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Too many ifs, buts and unknowns for me here. I'd just get one from a trusted dealer.

I agree.

I was just excited to meet the original owner and all.

We’ll see what happens.
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 10:39 AM   #32
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
I understand where you are coming from, and I am not taking it the wrong way.

I honestly don’t know what the watch is worth.

As I said in the post, I see some 1675 listed at $13k and some at $30k and I can’t seem to find the difference.

I wanted to ask the forum what you guys think it’s worth, but in reading the rules, it looks like I shouldn’t.

That’s why I wanted to ask for pointers so I can try to identify what mark it is and see what else I can find out.

Thanks though
May your transaction work out. God bless you and your family. Merry Christmas

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 12:45 PM   #33
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_afficionado View Post
May your transaction work out. God bless you and your family. Merry Christmas

Hey same to you my friend :)

I’m starting to second guess myself

Need to do a lot more research
Old 24 December 2020, 01:02 PM   #34
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Get one from a trusted dealer? Second guess yourself?

Please

Ever watch american pickers ? Some of their philosophies are good. When you get a chance to buy from the orig owner, you always do better. Always. You never pass up a chance to buy quality. Never, even at the risk of paying a bit more.
The full retail on that watch all repaired and replaced insert is many many thousands over the 10k. If he has the warranty paper, you should pay the man and congratulate yourself on a great deal. The biggest obstacle to collecting these things is finding people who want to sell at a reasonable price. When dealers get involved, they need to pay rent and overhead and need to mark it up. It’s business.
Good luck with it, but don’t pass up on such a chance. When you get a couple of good ones under your belt, you will begin to take chances on eBay like me, the Rolex crackhead
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 01:18 PM   #35
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post

Please

Ever watch american pickers ? Some of their philosophies are good. When you get a chance to buy from the orig owner, you always do better. Always. You never pass up a chance to buy quality. Never, even at the risk of paying a bit more.
The full retail on that watch all repaired and replaced insert is many many thousands over the 10k. If he has the warranty paper, you should pay the man and congratulate yourself on a great deal. The biggest obstacle to collecting these things is finding people who want to sell at a reasonable price. When dealers get involved, they need to pay rent and overhead and need to mark it up. It’s business.
Good luck with it, but don’t pass up on such a chance. When you get a couple of good ones under your belt, you will begin to take chances on eBay like me, the Rolex crackhead
Old 24 December 2020, 02:49 PM   #36
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Please

Thank you for that.

I’ll call the guy soon and see if he’s gonna sell or not.

I’m disappointed about the bezel insert though.

But I’m sure I can source one later.
Old 24 December 2020, 04:26 PM   #37
nadavgalimidi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263 Daytona
Quote:
bezel Insert for $1,000.
Quote:
you would need a 1400$ for a good 7836.
I need the number for your parts guy...
nadavgalimidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 06:52 PM   #38
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavgalimidi View Post
Me too, if you can get a nice period-correct insert for only a grand. Box and papers add only a few hundred bucks.

You really need advanced expertise to take the random purchase/Ebay approach. Harry in Montreal has it. The OP self-admittedly doesn't.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 11:05 PM   #39
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:

Please

Good advice here. I’d heed it if it were me.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 11:32 PM   #40
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadavgalimidi View Post

I would say budget a minimum $2k for a good 7836 and another $2k for a ff red back insert.

Check our for sale forum from reputable sellers.
nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 12:30 AM   #41
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Zapokee and nsx, I may be low on the parts, but there is a range or price and condition. But don’t stop there you guys, please share your brilliance ... what would the 1675 with papers be worth with those parts added? Are You are telling OP to pass at $10k or not ? Maybe take a break from your rofl’ing !
Old 25 December 2020, 12:51 AM   #42
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Zapokee and nsx, I may be low on the parts, but there is a range or price and condition. But don’t stop there you guys, please share your brilliance ... what would the 1675 with papers be worth with those parts added? Are You are telling OP to pass at $10k or not ? Maybe take a break from your rofl’ing !
I'll give my perspective. First off, I agree that inserts are important for the appearance of a 1675, and I would probably need to budget at least $2k for a decent one. The OP can use the existing bracelet, or have it restored for $500. I find that if I'm patient, bracelets turn up at good prices when you're not looking for them, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a replacement for top dollar.

Another issue is the sweep hand. According to the OP, the seller said his watchmaker replaced it. That's a bummer, but it can be color-matched. The watch was supposedly serviced (remember the watchmaker made the $7k offer), but the OP also says that the crystal is badly scratched so that story doesn't quite hang together. Maybe this hypothetical service and offer happened many years ago, so perhaps it also needs a service and a crystal. There is uncertainty about the condition of the movement, and risk should be factored into price.

All of these little things add up. But let's assume that the seller really does turn out to be the original owner and he has the warranty paper. And let's also assume that on close inspection the dial and case look fantastic. Then I agree with Harry that it's still a buy for someone who is willing to take on a project, because it can be really nice in the end and there is some upside. If there is no warranty paper, or the case is badly worn/polished, then $10k is all the money IMO, not a bargain. Maybe there would be some room between $7k and $10k in that scenario. If there is any damage to the dial, then it's a no-go for me.
Old 25 December 2020, 02:44 AM   #43
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'll give my perspective. First off, I agree that inserts are important for the appearance of a 1675, and I would probably need to budget at least $2k for a decent one. The OP can use the existing bracelet, or have it restored for $500. I find that if I'm patient, bracelets turn up at good prices when you're not looking for them, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy a replacement for top dollar.

Another issue is the sweep hand. According to the OP, the seller said his watchmaker replaced it. That's a bummer, but it can be color-matched. The watch was supposedly serviced (remember the watchmaker made the $7k offer), but the OP also says that the crystal is badly scratched so that story doesn't quite hang together. Maybe this hypothetical service and offer happened many years ago, so perhaps it also needs a service and a crystal. There is uncertainty about the condition of the movement, and risk should be factored into price.

All of these little things add up. But let's assume that the seller really does turn out to be the original owner and he has the warranty paper. And let's also assume that on close inspection the dial and case look fantastic. Then I agree with Harry that it's still a buy for someone who is willing to take on a project, because it can be really nice in the end and there is some upside. If there is no warranty paper, or the case is badly worn/polished, then $10k is all the money IMO, not a bargain. Maybe there would be some room between $7k and $10k in that scenario. If there is any damage to the dial, then it's a no-go for me.

Thanks for that.

I wish I would’ve clarified with the guy whether the watch was serviced or not.

Basically he told me he took it to a watchmaker, who charged him $1800 and also adjusted the bracelet, replaced the second hand and the bezel.

As incredible as this may sound, it was a little hard to talk to him because he kept telling me that Rolex is #1 and better than the Omega I was wearing (Speedy).
Old 25 December 2020, 02:51 AM   #44
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for that.

I wish I would’ve clarified with the guy whether the watch was serviced or not.

Basically he told me he took it to a watchmaker, who charged him $1800 and also adjusted the bracelet, replaced the second hand and the bezel.

As incredible as this may sound, it was a little hard to talk to him because he kept telling me that Rolex is #1 and better than the Omega I was wearing (Speedy).
Well, for $1800 it certainly should have been serviced. But given the other things that were done, one would expect that the crystal would have been polished or replaced at that time. So when you mentioned that the crystal was badly scratched, the story didn't add up for me. Who knows. It's not a big deal, I always take claims about servicing with a grain of salt anyway.
Old 25 December 2020, 03:21 AM   #45
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Well, for $1800 it certainly should have been serviced. But given the other things that were done, one would expect that the crystal would have been polished or replaced at that time. So when you mentioned that the crystal was badly scratched, the story didn't add up for me. Who knows. It's not a big deal, I always take claims about servicing with a grain of salt anyway.

Exactly.

But then the watch is all scratched up too. So I wondered if he would’ve asked the watchmaker to not polish or replace the crystal

Who knows.

I’ll call him today and report back

I want to know if it was serviced, and if there is any chance he kept the original bezel insert.
Old 25 December 2020, 04:21 AM   #46
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

I agree I was low on the Pepsi insert values. Good luck with it. It’s a lot of money but I would maybe just get some pics of the watch and the paperwork he has.
Old 25 December 2020, 05:13 AM   #47
owl.
"TRF" Member

Okay guys, an update.

Like I said above, I planned to call him; but a few minutes ago he called me.

He said he can’t find the paperwork, that he’s going crazy looking for it.

He said he bought the watch in Monterey, Mexico, and he even called his son to look for it in his home in Mexico.

So he says unfortunately no paperwork.

I asked him about the box, and he said definitely no box. He told me “I bought it at a jewelry store, and wore it out, who thinks of keeping the box”

Haha

Good news:

Anyway, I asked him about the original bezel insert

He says he is pretty sure he has it, but also has to look for it.

Also, he said since he can’t find the papers he is willing to negotiate on the $10k.

I told him to call me later to see if he found the bezel insert and we can go from there.

I’ll
Keep you all posted.
Old 25 December 2020, 05:25 AM   #48
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay guys, an update.

He said he bought the watch in Monterey, Mexico, and he even called his son to look for it in his home in Mexico.

I asked him about the box, and he said definitely no box. He told me “I bought it at a jewelry store, and wore it out, who thinks of keeping the box”

Haha

Good news:

Also, he said since he can’t find the papers he is willing to negotiate on the $10k.

I told him to call me later to see if he found the bezel insert and we can go from there.

I’ll
Keep you all posted.
Still not a bad deal....I called it on the paperwork....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 05:30 AM   #49
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
You might get a great deal yet. Keep us posted. This is getting interesting
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 06:00 AM   #50
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Still not a bad deal....I called it on the paperwork....

Yes you did.

I understand where you are coming from as far as not keeping paperwork.

But the box!?

I kept boxes of things before I even got into watches.

Maybe I’ve just been a “wanna be collector” for years.

Old 25 December 2020, 06:00 AM   #51
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
You might get a great deal yet. Keep us posted. This is getting interesting

Will do

I’ll bring my loupe (not that I am an expert), possibly a UV light, and my phone for more pictures next time I meet him.
Old 25 December 2020, 06:03 AM   #52
PVR
"TRF" Member

I would not pay 10k for that watch as it is. I understand he says he's going to negotiate but, thats a hard pass for me with service bezel, hand(s) and bracelet condition.

Maybe thats why the Watchmaker offered him 7000?

I dont think he's going to find that insert either. Good Luck
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #53
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
I would not pay 10k for that watch as it is. I understand he says he's going to negotiate but, thats a hard pass for me with service bezel, hand(s) and bracelet condition.

Maybe thats why the Watchmaker offered him 7000?

I dont think he's going to find that insert either. Good Luck

Thanks.

The bracelet had a lot of stretch, I could tell when he took it off.

If he can’t find the bezel I’ll probably not buy it for $10k

The no papers thing kinda brought my hopes down a bit.
Old 25 December 2020, 06:25 AM   #54
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I predict that unfortunately he will have trouble locating the insert.
Old 25 December 2020, 09:44 AM   #55
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Okay guys, an update.

Haha

Good news:

I’ll
Keep you all posted.
Without paperwork I would take to RSC for service quote. Confirm it is all spec and not 5 finger discounted...

Good luck...

r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 10:48 AM   #56
nsxnext
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Are you planning to have someone check the movement?
nsxnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 10:54 AM   #57
Nickn
"TRF" Member

This all sounds very fishy
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2020, 12:24 PM   #58
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_afficionado View Post
Without paperwork I would take to RSC for service quote. Confirm it is all spec and not 5 finger discounted...

Good luck...

As you bring that up, I am also nervous about it haha

This sucks.
Old 25 December 2020, 12:26 PM   #59
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
This all sounds very fishy