The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2020, 04:12 AM   #1
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Whether larger or not, the the SD will always be less popular than a Sub as it's more expensive.

The larger size of the SD reaches a niche but not the general buying population.

GMT gives a different complication than the Dive watches and is associated with flight not nautical.

Those who aren't aquatic will likely go after the GMT for the look without the tie to aquatic activities.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 05:42 AM   #2
MauiRolex
"TRF" Member

I have an 18cm wrist. I have the all steel SD43. I am glad I have it, but it is the largest watch I will ever own. Its nice to have one large watch, but for me that makes it a very specific choice for how and when I will wear it. My favorite place to be is 40mm. The Milgauss/DD/YM1 all wear better. I would not personally buy an SD43 TT because that makes it dressier than I want to be when wearing it, IMHO. However, for guys with larger wrists, that might totally change.
MauiRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Librandox
Banned

Buy a watch that puts a smile on your face or it defeats the purpose. Keep in mind that these watches aren’t necessarily selling for the prices listed. The GMT just happens to be the flavor of the week.
Librandox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 10:18 AM   #4
Stark77
"TRF" Member

I love the SD43; it simultaneously flies under the radar and has a great wrist presence if you can pull it off. The style isn't for everyone though and there is a smaller market for two-tone watches. IMO a gold deep sea dive watch seems counterintuitive but if you like it then go for it!
Stark77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 01:22 AM   #5
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutkunkup View Post
Hi, I want to buy first Rolex for investing and everyday watch. I keep looking for GMT master II, but one day I found Sea Dweller Two tone in the AD looking great. Then I looked in the Chrono24 found that all of two tone model's price is not going anywhere further from AD retail price or just above. Why is that ? no one like two tone ?

I saw Sea Dweller 126600 in greymarket is about 5-10% price increase from AD but GMT master is wayyyy higher especially pepsi.

So back to my question why is SD is not popular and why the price is not going anywhere ?

Thanks

They’re completely different watches, one is for diving and the other is for travel across timezones. One is TT the other is SS. One is too big/heavy for many people, the other is smaller and fits most wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2020, 03:32 AM   #6
CryptoMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Kermit
Buy what you love. It's hard to predict a future winner. I bought my Kermit way back 2009. I never expect that it would appreciate that much. Stainless steel tends to hold value in the secondary market.