The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 January 2013, 12:02 PM   #1
tdiidman
"TRF" Member

Dial change for 1675 GMT

I have a 1675 GMT with the Pepsi (blue/red) bezel and a stainless steel Jubilee bracelet that I inherited from my Dad, who purchased it in 1965 when he was in the service. I had it overhauled after I received it and it runs great. The watch has a gilt dial and the hour markers have turned a greenish color and there is some stippling in the triangular 12:00 marker. I want to wear the watch but I simply do not like the dial; I just don't think the gilted (gold) lettering and minute markers as well as the greenish hour markers go well with the rest of the colors (black dial, red/blue bezel, stainless bracelet) of the watch. How would I best find a replacement dial (either authentic or a refinished, aftermarket dial) that would not have the gilt (would prefer white) and would have white or near white hour markers? Even if I did this, I would, of course, plan to keep the original dial if my son (who will eventually inherit from me) wished to have the original dial re-installed.
tdiidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:25 PM   #2
GIS8
"TRF" Member

You're going to be bombarded with people telling you not to mess with the watch. Nonetheless, any independent watch maker with a rolex parts account could do what you are looking for.
GIS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Renoir
"TRF" Member

I think you're approaching it the right way, stick to the plan of keeping the original parts so it can be put back to original. But yes, if a dial swap will help you enjoy the wach more, than by all means!

If you are truly looking for pure white markers, I would search for a factory luminova service dial and handset and just enjoy.
Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
pablofields
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoir View Post
I think you're approaching it the right way, stick to the plan of keeping the original parts so it can be put back to original. But yes, if a dial swap will help you enjoy the wach more, than by all means!

If you are truly looking for pure white markers, I would search for a factory luminova service dial and handset and just enjoy.
x2. Suggest putting a WTB on the Vintage Rolex Forum market site. Likely someone will have a lume service dial and hand set.

Here is my 1675 with a lume service dial and hands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepsibooklet.JPG (85.9 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 1675 Lume.JPG (88.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg pepsiwrist.JPG (67.7 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by pablofields; 31 January 2013 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: add picture
pablofields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 03:38 PM   #5
tdiidman
"TRF" Member

Dial change for 1675 GMT

I like the dial you have very much. I've not heard of a lume service dial. So where did you acquire it from? Any idea regarding how much is it likely to cost?
Old 31 January 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

can we see it please? I would not change it.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2013, 07:17 AM   #7
pablofields
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiidman View Post
I like the dial you have very much. I've not heard of a lume service dial. So where did you acquire it from? Any idea regarding how much is it likely to cost?
"Lume" is short for "Luminova." A "luminova service dial" refers to the type of dial that you would get from a Rolex Service Center if you were to get a "new" dial for your older Rolex (in this case your 1675). The problem with getting a service dial and hand set from Rolex is that Rolex will require you to "trade in" (give up) your original dial and hands. You wrote in your initial post (and most would agree) that you want to keep the original tritium dial and hands but wear the watch with a new and more functional service dial and hand set. To do that, you will need to purchase a luminova dial and hand set on the secondary market. I bought mine on the Vintage Rolex Market. You can google that site and post a WTB ad. A few weeks ago I saw Nikos/Greekbum (also active on this site) had a 1675 luminova dial for sale. I believe around $650 USD. That is about the price you can expect to pay for a luminova service dial. Nikos' dial had the "Swiss T<25" on it even though it is luminova. Later service dials like mine are signed just "Swiss". No difference other than that as again, both are luminova rather than tritium despite the "T" (It is well established that for a brief period Rolex luminova service dials on some models had the Tritium writing but in fact used luminova).

Hope this long answer helps!
Old 1 February 2013, 07:20 AM   #8
tdiidman
"TRF" Member

Replacing dial on 1675 GMT

I could take a picture of it with my iphone but do not know how to post it here.
Old 1 February 2013, 07:34 AM   #9
tdiidman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofields View Post
"Lume" is short for "Luminova." A "luminova service dial" refers to the type of dial that you would get from a Rolex Service Center if you were to get a "new" dial for your older Rolex (in this case your 1675). The problem with getting a service dial and hand set from Rolex is that Rolex will require you to "trade in" (give up) your original dial and hands. You wrote in your initial post (and most would agree) that you want to keep the original tritium dial and hands but wear the watch with a new and more functional service dial and hand set. To do that, you will need to purchase a luminova dial and hand set on the secondary market. I bought mine on the Vintage Rolex Market. You can google that site and post a WTB ad. A few weeks ago I saw Nikos/Greekbum (also active on this site) had a 1675 luminova dial for sale. I believe around $650 USD. That is about the price you can expect to pay for a luminova service dial. Nikos' dial had the "Swiss T<25" on it even though it is luminova. Later service dials like mine are signed just "Swiss". No difference other than that as again, both are luminova rather than tritium despite the "T" (It is well established that for a brief period Rolex luminova service dials on some models had the Tritium writing but in fact used luminova).

Hope this long answer helps!
Thank you so much for the information (as you can tell, I really don't know much about Rolex watches). I have found the site you recommended and will post the WTB ad later today. Hopefully someone has one for sale.
Old 1 February 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
A replacement authentic gilt dial will cost from $1500 to $3000 or more depending on condition. A liminova service dial is $500 to $600. Keep this in mind because your existing dial, unless seriously damaged is quite valuable.

A nice small second hand alone that came OEM with your gilt is worth $600 to $1000. A full sevice handset can be had for $150 or so. Don't let the hands get away either.

Treat the group with nice pics of the original and sound advice will follow
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote