The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 March 2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Kenrocks
"TRF" Member

Tiffany & Co

Dumb newbie question:

Is the watch the same or different when it says Tiffany & co? Is the premium worth it?

I understand Tiffany means luxury jewelry and I understand rarity but for example when a normal MK 6 can be had at 10k with no box no papers or at 15k mint with box and papers, why would someone pay multiples to get the same model with Tiffany & Co?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 05:41 PM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Nobody in his right mind would do that.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 11:23 PM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I consider all Tiffany dial watches redials unless they can show original Tiffany papers confirming its legitimacy.
Old 22 March 2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

if not accompanied by the right documents,.... no premium

my 2 cents
Old 23 March 2017, 12:55 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
I consider all Tiffany dial watches redials unless they can show original Tiffany papers confirming its legitimacy.
x2. I have no doubt reputable dealers selling these Tiffany-branded watches know the authentic ones, but I'd absolutely only pay more if the watch came with paperwork. Even if it wasn't the Rolex guarantee paper stamped by Tiffany, I'd at least want a Tiffany sales receipt showing the matching serial number.

On a side note, I was at Tiffany's customer service in NYC last month for a non-watch related purchase, and I grilled the representative about the Rolexes they used to sell and whether Tiffany could/would confirm them based on watch serial numbers. Although Tiffany has amazing customer service and keeps records on everything, she said Tiffany would be unable to confirm them. The reason was not entirely clear.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
Aaron, one guess about not confirming watches based on serial numbers could be contingent liability for what could turn out to be a clever counterfeit.
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 02:08 AM   #7
circles
"TRF" Member

Any of you notice how crooked the Tiffany lettering is? It is sloping down to the right.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 03:27 AM   #8
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
Aaron, one guess about not confirming watches based on serial numbers could be contingent liability for what could turn out to be a clever counterfeit.
It is kind of amazing that Rolex cannot or will not confirm serial numbers that were sold to Tiffany and Co.
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 03:33 AM   #9
cdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubLV, 1665 Rail
This is not meant to sound sarcastic or judgmental, but can somebody please explain the appeal of the T&C stamp? I can't understand why the store that you purchase your watch at should make any difference in the watches value. I apologize in advance if I am missing something obvious here...
Old 23 March 2017, 03:41 AM   #10
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdweller View Post
This is not meant to sound sarcastic or judgmental, but can somebody please explain the appeal of the T&C stamp? I can't understand why the store that you purchase your watch at should make any difference in the watches value. I apologize in advance if I am missing something obvious here...
Well what other stores have you seen that stamp them with Rolex's permission? There are some but not many and I don't think anyone currently. Just an idea about the rarity, Patek still sells in Tiffanys, I went in and inquired about a nautilus. In time of a restock which are rare and happen only every few months if that only about 6 come to the United States to be distributed, and that's to all US stores to split not 6 to each store. Currently a 200 person waiting list, even if you put a deposit down. Maybe Rolex had more volume then Patek but still.
Cam4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:17 AM   #11
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circles View Post
Any of you notice how crooked the Tiffany lettering is? It is sloping down to the right.
I noticed that too
Old 23 March 2017, 05:56 AM   #12
statsman
"TRF" Member

I don't see a particular added value to it. I think Tiffany's is a fine store and very tasteful, but I don't know that a Rolex needs their stamp of approval. Now, if my wife wanted to present me with a box from Tiffanys, and there was a Rolex inside, I would be tickled pink (or egg shell blue, as the case may be).
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 06:04 AM   #13
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I too have difficulty understanding the appeal. As I understand it, the dials were stamped by Tiffany, correct? In that case, it would be an aftermarket modification.....very unappealing.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Cam4034
"TRF" Member

It's a rare collaboration/ co-brand that's important history for the company. Not many people would see the value added from a cheap Swiss watch to a Rolex either. Most had come pre-stamped. Tiffany stamped all or most replacement dials if I remember correct.
Cam4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 04:07 AM   #15
sprezzatura
"TRF" Member

Watch: Root Beer GMT
As a tender beginner in the vintage section, I have to say that these luxury-branded - and at times royally-inscribed - tool watches have something strangely compelling, even beautiful, about them.

Simply on the account of their rarity (and thus exclusivity), they command a higher price on the vintage market. I would also have a hard time justifying the premium (especially without the provenance). Yet it is hard not to be taken by this wonderful exercise in contradiction: a transitional 5513 -- now a three-liner with the Tiffany inscription. It somehow embodies that mid-'80s transition to an aspirational luxury item like nothing else. (I did pass on it, as it did not come with any sort of paperwork. And as a newbie, I had no real way of verifying authenticity.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (57.2 KB, 314 views)
sprezzatura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 07:28 AM   #16
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I noticed that too
x3
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 07:39 AM   #17
circles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprezzatura View Post
As a tender beginner in the vintage section, I have to say that these luxury-branded - and at times royally-inscribed - tool watches have something strangely compelling, even beautiful, about them.

Simply on the account of their rarity (and thus exclusivity), they command a higher price on the vintage market. I would also have a hard time justifying the premium (especially without the provenance). Yet it is hard not to be taken by this wonderful exercise in contradiction: a transitional 5513 -- now a three-liner with the Tiffany inscription. It somehow embodies that mid-'80s transition to an aspirational luxury item like nothing else. (I did pass on it, as it did not come with any sort of paperwork. And as a newbie, I had no real way of verifying authenticity.)
The Tiffany imprint on that one sure doesn't look very good.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:00 AM   #18
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's funny you mention that since it's not the first Tiffany dial that I've seen with crooked lettering.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:01 AM   #19
sprezzatura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Tiffany imprint on that one sure doesn't look very good.
Can someone post some pictures of authenticated co-branded Tiffany Rolex watches?
Old 28 March 2017, 10:08 AM   #20
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:

It's very wise for you to have passed on that
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:37 AM   #21
sprezzatura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
It's very wise for you to have passed on that
I wouldn't say that it was wise, as I am not very well informed on these dials to make an educated decision. It was more of a gut feeling; I was somehow hesitant to pay the premium without any accompanying paperwork.
Old 28 March 2017, 10:46 AM   #22
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
I wouldn't say that it was wise, as I am not very well informed on these dials to make an education decision. It was more of a gut feeling; I was somehow hesitant to pay the premium without any accompanying paperwork.
Well that is wise. I wouldn't buy a Tiffany Rolex with no papers even from the most trusted vintage sellers. It might well be real, but try telling that to the buyer when the time comes for you to sell.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote