The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2022, 06:10 AM   #1
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Casio F91W
Is there a way to relume a relumed dial?

I'm looking at an old sub that had the original dial's lume plots replaced. It does not look bad but it also doesn't look great. Is there anyone out there that can redo relume and restore to a factory-like appearance? Thanks.
watchmainspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 07:40 AM   #2
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
I'm looking at an old sub that had the original dial's lume plots replaced. It does not look bad but it also doesn't look great. Is there anyone out there that can redo relume and restore to a factory-like appearance? Thanks.
Kent Parks at Everest Watchworks in Flagstaff, AZ relumed my Zodiac GMT in 2015 and did a great job. I recommend him, but his quoted turnaround time was a little optimistic.

http://www.everestwatchworks.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kent Parks Relume 2 11-21-15.jpg (52.2 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Kent Parks Relume 1 11-21-15.jpg (62.8 KB, 198 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 07:56 AM   #3
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Kent Parks at Everest Watchworks in Flagstaff, AZ relumed my Zodiac GMT in 2015 and did a great job. I recommend him, but his quoted turnaround time was a little optimistic.

http://www.everestwatchworks.com/
Wow looks great? What's the compound? Do you have a closer shot?
Old 13 February 2022, 08:08 AM   #4
Stan Cooper

Quote:
Wow looks great? What's the compound? Do you have a closer shot?
I still have the watch and can take more photos. These were taken by Kent and emailed to me for approval before returning the watch. The original factory lume was falling apart due to moisture incursion and was in really bad shape. Someone recommended Kent, so I talked to him on the phone and sent the watch off to him. I'm not sure what he used, but currently he says on his website that he has Super Luminova as an option.

http://www.everestwatchworks.com/sl_lume_colors.html

I'll post current closeup photos in a few minutes.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite

- Stan
Old 13 February 2022, 08:13 AM   #5
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I still have the watch and can take more photos. These were taken by Kent and emailed to me for approval before returning the watch. The original factory lume was falling apart due to moisture incursion and was in really bad shape. Someone recommended Kent, so I talked to him on the phone and sent the watch off to him. I'm not sure what he used, but currently he says on his website that he has Super Luminova as an option.

http://www.everestwatchworks.com/sl_lume_colors.html

I'll post current closeup photos in a few minutes.
Wow thanks!
Old 13 February 2022, 08:53 AM   #6
Stan Cooper

Please don't look at the cyclops lens; it was my first attempt at installing one and I flunked out.

These two photos were just taken. The first one is in ordinary room lighting, and the second is with the shades drawn and about a minute after I charged the lume with an ultraviolet light. Apparently there wasn't enough light for the auto-focus to work.

- Stan
Old 13 February 2022, 08:58 AM   #7
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please don't look at the cyclops lens; it was my first attempt at installing one and I flunked out.

These two photos were just taken. The first one is in ordinary room lighting, and the second is with the shades drawn and about a minute after I charged the lume with an ultraviolet light. Apparently there wasn't enough light for the auto-focus to work.

Thanks! Looks like a meticulous application. Very impressed.
Old 13 February 2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Stan Cooper

Quote:
Thanks! Looks like a meticulous application. Very impressed.
I assume you mean the lume, not the cyclops.

- Stan
Old 13 February 2022, 09:08 AM   #9
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I assume you mean the lume, not the cyclops.
Haha. Definitely
Old 13 February 2022, 12:09 PM   #10
zapokee
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Stan Cooper;11989183]Please don't look at the cyclops lens; it was my first attempt at installing one and I flunked out.

Oo, can't unsee that once you've pointed it out. Can't you remove it (with...IDK, ethanol or something) and try again?

The lume is awesome, though. My eyes!
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 02:19 PM   #11
Stan Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Oo, can't unsee that once you've pointed it out. Can't you remove it (with...IDK, ethanol or something) and try again?

Heh heh.. Yes, I have installed several cyclops since the Zodiac and have gotten much better at it. Since it's a flat sapphire crystal on the Zodiac, removal is mechanical using a single sided razor blade. I have a new cyclops lens and the UV activated adhesive from Esslinger, but just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

- Stan
Old 13 February 2022, 04:53 PM   #12
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
That is a very beautiful zodiac. Over the holidays I bought two old zodiacs and am still part hunting for my watchmaker. Their watches are like old Seikos; there is something I really dig about them
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2022, 09:55 PM   #13
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=zapokee;11989503]
Quote:

I think that zodiac would look amazing without the cyclops anyways.

The lume does look bright. I can't see to find an example of that vendor's radium-style lume. I'm intrigued.

Would be curious of any other services that might be available.
Old 14 February 2022, 12:45 AM   #14
Stan Cooper

Quote:
I think that zodiac would look amazing without the cyclops anyways.

The lume does look bright. I can't see to find an example of that vendor's radium-style lume. I'm intrigued.

Would be curious of any other services that might be available.
The date was way too small without the cyclops, and the watch actually came with a cyclops but came back from service after the water intrusion without the cyclops. Here it is the day I bought it.

I think radium was banned for watch dials in 1968 and replaced with tritium; some watchmakers began replacing radium with tritium as early as the mid-fifties, but I'm not sure where you might have tritium relume done now. Some have recommended The Alchemist in the U.K. for "tritium look." How old is the Sub you're considering?

- Stan
Old 14 February 2022, 01:56 AM   #15
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

James Hyman in the UK is stellar

Depending on how important it is to you -- James Hyman (in my opinion) is the best out there. Check out the thealchemistrelumer on instagram.

I had a 1680 red that had an awful lume job and James worked magic on it. I ultimately sold that watch/dial and the new owner who knows the full backstory on the dial is very happy as well.

Sending to UK can be a bit of a pain, but the way I did it was during a service when watch was disassembled anyway, just sent the dial and hands.
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 02:18 AM   #16
donfield
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1956 Oyster Royal
Head to the Wrist Watch Revival channel on YouTube. Marshall has a bunch of restoration projects where he shows how to re-lume older dials and hands. It doesn't look super complicated, but IMHO, you need good eyes, a steady hand, a few specialized tools but more than that, a TON of courage :)
donfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2022, 04:47 AM   #17
Stan Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
Depending on how important it is to you -- James Hyman (in my opinion) is the best out there. Check out the thealchemistrelumer on instagram.

I had a 1680 red that had an awful lume job and James worked magic on it. I ultimately sold that watch/dial and the new owner who knows the full backstory on the dial is very happy as well.

Sending to UK can be a bit of a pain, but the way I did it was during a service when watch was disassembled anyway, just sent the dial and hands.
Yes; Dave Hyman is the U.K. "Alchemist" I linked to in post 14.

I should add that many serious collectors frown on relumed dials and hands as they believe it devalues the watch. Personally, I'd rather have dead lume or botched relumes redone properly so I can see what time it is in the dark.

- Stan