The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 May 2021, 10:39 PM   #1
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Best Rolex AD in NYC

I am visiting family in Brooklyn today and looking to go into Manhattan and do some watch window shopping. Where is the best shop or area that provides the best window shopping?

Thanks!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:41 PM   #2
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I am visiting family in Brooklyn today and looking to go into Manhattan and do some watch window shopping. Where is the best shop or area that provides the best window shopping?

Thanks!
Watch window shopping from AD is pretty depressing.
If you want to see where all the hot steel references are go on 47th st between 5th ave and 6 ave.

PS: If you want an AD, Tourneau might offer something to see (pre-owned). Otherwise ADs don't have much. If you are in that area check out Wempe.
Otherwise you can go to WOS in SOHO, they have a pretty nice store. Full of DJ... like the other ADs. So, in general not much variety.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Car32
"TRF" Member

There is nothing to see in an nyc AD window, or in the cases inside. And you will get the same spiel we hear on this site all the time. If you want to actually see a watch, go to 47rh st
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:57 PM   #4
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
They're telling you to go the "diamond district", which will have all the watches you want to see, but from re-sellers. They will literally have every watch imaginable. It's a safe environment and can be really fun. Just don't buy anything... These guys are pros and you'll get taken to the cleaners.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:00 PM   #5
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
They're telling you to go the "diamond district", which will have all the watches you want to see, but from re-sellers. They will literally have every watch imaginable. It's a safe environment and can be really fun. Just don't buy anything... These guys are pros and you'll get taken to the cleaners.
second that, if you want window shopping, the diamond district is a great place. if you plan to buy a watch at MSRP, forget about it, it's not happening.
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:02 PM   #6
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub*man View Post
they're telling you to go the "diamond district", which will have all the watches you want to see, but from re-sellers. They will literally have every watch imaginable. It's a safe environment and can be really fun. Just don't buy anything... These guys are pros and you'll get taken to the cleaners.
+1
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:17 PM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub*man View Post
they're telling you to go the "diamond district", which will have all the watches you want to see, but from re-sellers. They will literally have every watch imaginable. It's a safe environment and can be really fun. Just don't buy anything... These guys are pros and you'll get taken to the cleaners.
+1
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 11:25 PM   #8
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Diamond District. Don’t just browse the windows from the street. Go into each jewelry market. Lots of iced out pieces, custom dials, and all the hot models.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #9
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
so, by saying "taken to the cleaners", are you saying that the guys in the diamond district would be selling pieces at prices higher than the gray market dealers that we can find online?
omar10213245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:17 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
so, by saying "taken to the cleaners", are you saying that the guys in the diamond district would be selling pieces at prices higher than the gray market dealers that we can find online?
You can bargain with them. If you see a Rolex you want, and the asking price is ridiculous, show them some prices of the same model from the forums and well-known gray-market dealers. I've done it by just pulling out my phone and showing them listings. Sometimes you can get them to come down in price, and sometimes they'll match gray-market prices.

Make sure you know what you're looking at, though. Most of the sellers on 47th Street are trustworthy, but not all. And I'd never buy a Rolex there unless it was a full set.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:20 AM   #11
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
If they can, they will

Quote:
Most vendors on 47th street are adept and skilled in selling product. They have every model and more.
They do not have any deals.
I’ve found the best luck buying from.............................................. ..//
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:33 AM   #12
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

I thought it was for "window shopping"... that's why I suggested 47th st.
If you are really considering buying, probably that is not the best place, meaning that the prices are usually above market and you will have pretty substantial taxes to take care of.

The dealers are very experienced, and they will discuss with you about the price to find a deal. It depends what you are looking for.
You will not get a discount on a 5711 blue dial.
You will have some room for discussion on the batman, for example.

Most of them are okay, but anyway be very careful about what you are buying, especially if this is your first experience buying from a reseller.
Old 14 May 2021, 01:17 AM   #13
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

You’re not going to get a fake. Jewish law would ostracize them or worse. Will you get a fair price, maybe it maybe not. But they are expert negotiators on 47th.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 14 May 2021, 01:19 AM   #14
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, possibly higher, at least in the beginning. Remember, we WIS are a small group. Not every consumer knows about the online trusted grey market.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Old 14 May 2021, 01:57 AM   #15
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
they're not gonna be much different from the prices of the top trusted sellers here, they also have room for negotiation but you need to know your shit or they'll basically tell you to f off
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:37 AM   #16
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yeah heavy sales tactics there but all very predictable garbage you will even get approached by hustlers in the street when you window shop saying “you buying, selling”, for me it’s a grubby experience in general. It’s the engine room of what is wrong with the watch market IMO.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:49 AM   #17
omar10213245
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Yes, possibly higher, at least in the beginning. Remember, we WIS are a small group. Not every consumer knows about the online trusted grey market.
very good point.
omar10213245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:53 AM   #18
JimmyBoots
"TRF" Member

Idk if I would call it the engine room of what wrong with the watch market. To me that’s the IG hypebeast machine that tends to set the grey market prices.

A lot of the 47th St stores are 2nd or even 3rd Gen family run locations and they drive a HARD bargain. But you can see everything and even try watches on that you may never come across at a AD.

It’s fun but be on your toes and don’t get sweet talked into over paying.
JimmyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:59 AM   #19
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Yeah heavy sales tactics there but all very predictable garbage you will even get approached by hustlers in the street when you window shop saying “you buying, selling”, for me it’s a grubby experience in general. It’s the engine room of what is wrong with the watch market IMO.
That is the annoying part... makes it very "dirty". But it's part of the experience, I guess.

47th street always leaves me with the same feeling:
after I see all those LVs and Batman in dusted little plastic bags, I think, no way I would pay 1 dollar above MRSP for any of these pieces.

You will see watches showcased close to engagement rings of ended marriages. That's the thing: they make everything looks cheap and sad.

But hey, it's the ultimate reseller experience.
It's like going for a walk to the red light district in Amsterdam, it looks cheap, dirty, slightly sad and it's quite difficult you will find the lady of your life over there.
Old 14 May 2021, 03:16 AM   #20
cjwhitey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
Watches of Switzerland in SoHo and Hudson Yards both have very nice showrooms and an array of brands to check out, but as many other users have said, they won't have any of the most desirable pieces in the cases. But it would be a good opportunity to try on some other watches (i.e. Grand Seiko, Omega, Cartier) if that tickles your fancy.

If you're looking for hot ticket items, your only options are Tourneau Pre-Owned and 47th Street, but prices will be high.
Old 14 May 2021, 04:39 AM   #21
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
47th street always leaves me with the same feeling:
after I see all those LVs and Batman in dusted little plastic bags, I think, no way I would pay 1 dollar above MRSP for any of these pieces.

You will see watches showcased close to engagement rings of ended marriages. That's the thing: they make everything looks cheap and sad.
Both excellent points. Nothing makes any multi-thousand $ watch you're wearing (or want to wear) feel cheap, less special, and like a meaningless commodity than a walk down 47th.

Granted, there is something cool about seeing so. many. watches. in one single place. But it never gives me the warm fuzzies the way they're hocking them.
Old 15 May 2021, 10:19 AM   #22
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Thanks for the input! I ended up at Hudson Yards at Watches of Switzerland knowing that I did not want to purchase gray market Rolex and wanted to see some of the new Tudor, Grand Seiko and Omega. The sales rep was not real knowledgeable and since they did not have the Tudor Chronograph he was showing it to me on his laptop?? I could do that at home! They were stocked with their Grand Seiko and many others but their Rolex inventory was pathetic - like most other AD's. Next time I will get over to 47th.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote