The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 May 2021, 08:38 PM   #1
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
Thoughts on Rolex Explorer II 16570 Hands?

Hi all!

Im looking at this Explorer II X Series 1992

What are your thoughts in the hands lume? relumed?

I quote the sellers ad
"The hands are tritium and they match almost perfectly to the dial (a very rare thing on “corn/cream” 16570).
Tritium is original and was checked with UV light: both hands and hour markers react correctly in the same way."

Seller has a very good reputation.

I have asked him and waiting on his reply if the hands are relumed and UV photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (278.8 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5393.jpeg (265.2 KB, 245 views)
Pilot1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 10:23 PM   #2
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Got the UV photos.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UV2.jpg (217.3 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg UV1.jpg (125.0 KB, 237 views)
Old 14 May 2021, 10:23 PM   #3
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Seller seems honest, and as you say has a very good rep.... he’s describing them as original essentially so if you trust him......I’m not sure how color matched hands look under UV but they don’t look very similar to the hour markers....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:53 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Normally the markers and hands look white under the UV light. I'm not seeing that in the photos.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 01:13 AM   #5
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Doesn't seem right....
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 03:19 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I don't think the tritium on the dial or hands is original. It's been messed with, presumably to give it that extra patina. That's why some of the hour plots look uneven and patchy under the UV.

You want original tritium to look something like on my 1665 under UV. I realize this is an older watch, but the appearance should be close. There are slight variations in tone or "white-ness" I've seen under UV, but nothing like what I see on the OP's example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1665 UV TRF.jpg (279.9 KB, 214 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Chris75
"TRF" Member

It looks absolutely fine to me: in the 90's Rolex had different suppliers for hands and indexes, so you often find different glowing under UV between hands and dial.

I have a 16570 (not corn) and a 16700 from the early 90's and lume looks exactly this way: hands are dead and index have some "sparkling" under UV (the little spots you see in the pics).

You can't compare it with a 1665 lume: it was a different tritium mix (and probably also a different UV lamp the one used).

Imo you should ask for a video in which the UV lamp is also turned off at one point.

P.S.

There is a very nice one 16570 corn at Christie's New York online auction.
Chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 08:18 PM   #8
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

I got this photo form a dealer in ch24

The hands might look a bit similar but still some white there but the markers are completely a different story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n3.jpg (105.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg UV3.jpg (149.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 15 May 2021, 08:20 PM   #9
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
It looks absolutely fine to me: in the 90's Rolex had different suppliers for hands and indexes, so you often find different glowing under UV between hands and dial.

I have a 16570 (not corn) and a 16700 from the early 90's and lume looks exactly this way: hands are dead and index have some "sparkling" under UV (the little spots you see in the pics).

You can't compare it with a 1665 lume: it was a different tritium mix (and probably also a different UV lamp the one used).

Imo you should ask for a video in which the UV lamp is also turned off at one point.

P.S.

There is a very nice one 16570 corn at Christie's New York online auction.

Can you post an UV photo of yours for comparison?

I have a video of the original discussion Explorer but I do not know th emethod to upload videos here in the forum.
Old 15 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1985 View Post
I got this photo form a dealer in ch24
On your second example, that's what I'd expect to see on original tritium hour plots under UV. Note how the whiteness on the plots is similar to my much older 1665 above. Sure, the tritium mixtures vary through the years, but the appearance should still be close under UV.

Quote:
I don't agree with this. There is no "glowing" at all on the OP's first example under UV. It should look closer to the second example. Also in the first daylight photo of the questionable example, look closely at the 12 o'clock marker. Definitely looks doctored, IMHO.
Old 16 May 2021, 12:11 AM   #11
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you post an UV photo of yours for comparison?

I have a video of the original discussion Explorer but I do not know th emethod to upload videos here in the forum.

Here you can also see as first one has same supplier for hands and dial while second has not.

Difference may also depends on UV light (for example last one isn't under direct and strong light).
Old 16 May 2021, 12:27 AM   #12
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Also in the first daylight photo of the questionable example, look closely at the 12 o'clock marker. Definitely looks doctored, IMHO.
Different color spots (especially in the middle of the marker, usually on the 12 or 6) is absolutely normal on corn 16550/16570 or in strong patina 16700/14060: lume often aged unevenly

Old 16 May 2021, 02:42 AM   #13
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:

Here you can also see as first one has same supplier for hands and dial while second has not.

Difference may also depends on UV light (for example last one isn't under direct and strong light).
There is a notable difference between your 16570 hour markers and OP's ones under UV. Yes, different tritium mixes were used etc. but the whitish / bluish
reaction is there in yours and swish's 1665.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 03:34 AM   #14
Mr.Kaplan
"TRF" Member

Sorry guy I feel like to intervene since the 16570 is mine and some pics from a private conversation were posted.

The watch reacts under direct UV light exactly as correctly stated by Springer: markers and hands look white.

Probably the pictures that I sent to Pilot85 weren't the best to judge, I am myself very skeptical on "corn" 16570, and I always check them thoroughly, with loupe and UV light.

The pics that Pilot85 posted (of course no problem about that) were taken with a loupe and not under direct UV only to show some subtle and specific features as the difference between markers and hands (almost completely dead) and the “glowing bubbling” effect (the uneven spots) that 90’s lume indexes have (little spots where tritium lume isn’t completely dead, typical of younger than 30 years old tritium).

I am sorry for the late reply but I was just told by a friend that this was the issue and I am not frequently on this forum lately (my bad!).
Mr.Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 04:00 AM   #15
Mr.Kaplan
"TRF" Member

Here under another and direct UV light (pics from a video).

Old 16 May 2021, 04:32 AM   #16
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kaplan View Post
Sorry guy I feel like to intervene since the 16570 is mine and some pics from a private conversation were posted.

The watch reacts under direct UV light exactly as correctly stated by Springer: markers and hands look white.

Probably the pictures that I sent to Alessandro (Pilot85) weren't the best to judge, I am myself very skeptical on "corn" 16570, and I always check them thoroughly, with loupe and UV light.

The pics that Pilot85 posted (of course no problem about that) were taken with a loupe and not under direct UV only to show some subtle and specific features as the difference between markers and hands (almost completely dead) and the “sparkling” effect (the uneven spots) that 90’s lume indexes have (little spots where tritium lume isn’t completely dead, typical of younger than 30 years old tritium).

I am sorry for the late reply but I was just told by a friend that this was the issue and I am not frequently on this forum lately (my bad!).
Im glad that you see no problem in posting the photos.

As they are directed at a watch and I never posted a link of your advertising nor mentioned your name.

For me is purely for knowledge.

As I spoke with you our deal did not went thru because of different motives (mine not yours) but I said I liked the watch a lot.

However I will kindly ask you to delete my name from your post and here in an open forum refer to me with the username only please.

I still think this is an usefull topic to discuss and I will research further on the tritium UV photos on early 90's rolex.

I hope this doesnt become a pointing finger thread ....
Old 16 May 2021, 04:54 AM   #17
Mr.Kaplan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im glad that you see no problem in posting the photos.

As they are directed at a watch and I never posted a link of your advertising nor mentioned your name.

For me is purely for knowledge.

As I spoke with you our deal did not went thru because of different motives (mine not yours) but I said I liked the watch a lot.

However I will kindly ask you to delete my name from your post and here in an open forum refer to me with the username only please.

I still think this is an usefull topic to discuss and I will research further on the tritium UV photos on early 90's rolex.

I hope this doesnt become a pointing finger thread ....
No problem, my friend, I am always happy to help.

If I had know that you had some doubts on UV pics I would have sent you better ones (especially if you were going to post those pics from our private conversation): we are all here to learn.

Watch is now on hold, I was told about this thread by the buyer (that is also a friend).
Old 16 May 2021, 05:05 AM   #18
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kaplan View Post
No problem, my friend, I am always happy to help.

If I had know that you had some doubts on UV pics I would have sent you better ones (especially if you were going to post those pics from our private conversation): we are all here to learn.

Watch is now on hold, I was told about this thread by the buyer (that is also a friend).
I am happy you have found a buyer, as we spoke I knew it was not going to take long for that to happen!

You took care of posting better photos. I will wait to see what the more knowledgeable members say if they change their opinion or not as I am here to learn more than to criticize.

Old 16 May 2021, 08:50 AM   #19
Alex The Watch Guy
"TRF" Member

I run when I see patina that strong on any neo-vintage Rolex, you are wise in doing your diligence specially with escalating prices. There seems to be a heavy run on strong patinated 16570’s lately, where were these fine specimens a few years ago when prices were subdued?
Alex The Watch Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:42 AM   #20
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Dial looks exactly how I would expect in a 90's Rolex.

Regarding the patina you should always be careful, with four digits matte dial as with five digits glossy neo-vintage: I see more yellow patina matte dial Subs and GMT in Hong Kong than in the rest of the word.

That said, I am the first owner of a beautiful 16600 that my dad bought in 1992 and of a 16520 from 1998 and they both developed a very nice patina, of course in different parts
Old 16 May 2021, 07:57 PM   #21
Pilot1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Regarding the patina you should always be careful, with four digits matte dial as with five digits glossy neo-vintage: I see more yellow patina matte dial Subs and GMT in Hong Kong than in the rest of the word.

That said, I am the first owner of a beautiful 16600 that my dad bought in 1992 and of a 16520 from 1998 and they both developed a very nice patina, of course in different parts
Thanks for sharing the photos before!!

since you keep having more 90's Rolex why dont you share those UV photos as well
Old 16 May 2021, 09:00 PM   #22
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Plots and hands look very nicely done!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:02 PM   #23
Chris75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for sharing the photos before!!

since you keep having more 90's Rolex why dont you share those UV photos as well
This is my 1990 5513, same light glowing and sparkling, or uneven bubbling as someone called, effect in the opener one.

I have most of my watches in the safe, but if you are doing some research I can pick them up and send you pics via PM.

It would probably be better to open a new thread about 90's lume at UV if this is the subject.

Imo it also make the difference the type of UV light you use: for example this picture was taken at my watchmaker that has a UV lamp, and the effect is lighter, with my UV torch you have a more vivid effect: you see a more homogeneous and stronger white.

It's also important to see how long indexes and hands glow after being stimulated, not only if they get white, because also early Luminova get white/greenish but keep glowing longer where tritium last only for a few seconds.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:05 PM   #24
Chris75
"TRF" Member

This is a 16550 R serial from 1988, with another UV torch.

Same sparkling on hands but harder to capture the whitey effect on index with this one.

Old 17 May 2021, 12:31 AM   #25
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:22 AM   #26
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Forget the UV debate for a moment, this 12 o'clock marker on the OP's first example would make me suspicious just on its own. Doesn't look right, as if lume/patina has been added atop the marker and not filled in properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Patina.jpeg (41.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 17 May 2021, 03:41 AM   #27
Alex The Watch Guy
"TRF" Member

Many relumed hands / dials these days can be done to pass the ‘UV test’, these UV shots don’t prove / disprove anything to me.
Alex The Watch Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:57 AM   #28
Mr.Kaplan
"TRF" Member

I am sorry guys, I posted UV pics since I was told this was the issue.

Quote:
Forget the UV debate for a moment, this 12 o'clock marker on the OP's first example would make me suspicious just on its own. Doesn't look right, as if lume/patina has been added atop the marker and not filled in properly.
Probably not my best pictures, but 12 o'clock marker is fine, no lume had been added atop, it's probably an effect of the pictures at the direct sunlight.
The index hasn't a 100% even color (but that's totally normal, usually you find it slightly darker in the center) but surface is totally right and untouched.
It hasn't any suspicious stain and texture is 100% correct-

Of course is always very hard to judge these watches from pictures, but as everyone that had any experience with me know, I meticulously check all my watches with loupe, UV and maximum care.