The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 May 2021, 06:01 PM   #421
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Does the auction house take 15% from the seller? Rest assured the buyer only nets 64k CHF!
not exactly. only 5% from the sellers usually.
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:19 PM   #422
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Wait, Aurel said discontinued?
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 06:57 PM   #423
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Does the auction house take 15% from the seller? Rest assured the buyer only nets 64k CHF!
Each auction house is slightly different. In the case of this auction, Phillips charges a buyer’s premium of 26 percent of the hammer price. The buyer’s premium goes to Phillips. The seller is typically paid the hammer price. The seller pays no premium. In rare cases the seller can negotiate for a portion of the buyer’s premium, but that would depend on how strongly the auction house wanted to include a particular item in their auction, especially if other auction houses were competing to list the same item.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 08:00 PM   #424
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
I hope I got it right lol
Trying to find if we can get a recorded version of yesterdays auction
Old 9 May 2021, 08:17 PM   #425
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

If it is really discontinued, it is a low price. It will reach 200k for sure.
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2021, 09:27 PM   #426
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
It is definitely more unique, rare and special than a 5711 ... so ... Not sure it's not worth it :-)

And imo more special, better finished and rare than those mediocre quality and overhyped vintage paul Newman Daytona's which are a lot more expensive

Fair enough, but purely based on this logic a first gen ALS chrono should sit at 200k for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 01:07 AM   #427
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
Fair enough, but purely based on this logic a first gen ALS chrono should sit at 200k for example

If the free money policies continue, that may indeed happen eventually... and Aurel will sing its laudatio as if it had not traded under retail for years prior to becoming popular

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:19 AM   #428
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Based on production numbers (around 100 to 200) / year since Dec 2009 - There are likely less CBs than the white Silver snoopy (LE of 1970), more Nautiluses 5711s are made each year than the entire product history.

$100k is just the beginning.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:29 AM   #429
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Based on production numbers (around 100 to 200) / year since Dec 2009 - There are likely less CBs than the white Silver snoopy (LE of 1970), more Nautiluses 5711s are made each year than the entire product history.

$100k is just the beginning.
Do you promise?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 06:47 PM   #430
jackal981
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM FPJ PP AP R
Heard from boutique they already do not accept more waitlist, so I grab one on for around 60k from a dealer few months ago. How can they rocket up in price so quick ?
jackal981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 12:34 AM   #431
Tesla123
"TRF" Member

Fear of inflation
Tesla123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:02 AM   #432
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
In the US, if you are an existing client with a good relationship, you will probably get certain pieces within a year or two. But for others, if you can even get allocated a piece, it will certainly take longer. I enquired about a couple different pieces recently, and was told 1 to 2 years.
I was just chatting with my AD and even CS has a 1-2 year waitlist while 12 months ago you can get one walk-in...

When I first got interested in FPJ last year, I was going to get a Elegante 40 for my wife but she did not like the case shape so I did not proceed. It was with a rather nice discount from an US AD and now even this is on a waitlist?!

I feel so lucky that I ordered my Resonance last summer after it was announced as my AD told me that he has a waitlist of 4+ years now. This watch collecting hobby is becoming too hot and crazy. We need to go back to the good old days when you can buy what you enjoy within a reasonable time frame and not at an insane price.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:06 AM   #433
itswb
"TRF" Member

Are there any other sources for discontinuation? Or did he mean that its effectively discontinued because there's no longer waitlists

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrock View Post
itswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #434
itswb
"TRF" Member

Thought I'd add a pic
Old 13 May 2021, 05:53 AM   #435
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by itswb View Post

Thought I'd add a pic
Beautiful!

Quote:
Are there any other sources for discontinuation? Or did he mean that its effectively discontinued because there's no longer waitlists
I think in the commentary that FP wrote in his in-house magazine a couple of years back (can't find a jpg of it just now), he said that they were cutting the annual production from around 190 pieces to 100 to allow more production of the more complex pieces and the waiting list had got too long so they 'cancelled the list'.

As they have still been making them (albeit at a reduced level), our assumption is that they're still honouring the list and what appeared in the article as 'cancelled' was just clumsy use of English and should be interpreted as 'closed' the list. Still, when I applied to be on the list with no purchase history in late 2018, it was four years long (from being only a few months long, the previous year) and it continued to grow a bit before they announced closing it and cutting production.

A 4 year list in late 2018 would have turned into an 8 year list once they halved production a few months later. So I hope I'm about two years into my 8 year wait, but I'd rather be an eternal optimist rather than email the boutique in Geneva and ask if they still expect to reach the end of the list - scared they'll say no, it's cancelled

No chance of travel to Switzerland just for fun at the moment. If they keep producing the next six to eight years from now, the model will have had two decades in production. Perhaps too optimistic. If I was F.P., I would just go 'invent and make' something even better, but I hope he doesn't, as I can't afford his really good stuff!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 05:57 AM   #436
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It is not discontinued. It is just unavailable unless you are already on the waitlist or you are one of their top collectors.

Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 06:15 AM   #437
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
It is not discontinued. It is just unavailable unless you are already on the waitlist or you are one of their top collectors.

I don’t think being on the list is enough
If toure on the list you’ll probably never get it.

That is said to be cancelled
Old 13 May 2021, 06:37 AM   #438
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:

Realistically with the length of the list, I think being merely 'on the list' without already having bought from Journe, is unlikely to be enough.

Although there is only one main list, coordinated between all the boutiques, it was clear when I joined the list that people who already had Journe models would be welcome to skip up the list, because they always give priority to their existing customers. There are enough FPJ owners out there who might fancy taking a CB, that my theoretical 6 years could become an indefinite wait, and so I will count myself very lucky if it ever works out.

But I don't want to resign myself to the reality that it will probably never happen, because it's nice to dream - which is why I'll leave it until later in the year before i contact the boutique again to ask how it's going!
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 07:21 AM   #439
Skyrider01
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is correct. Being on the list does not guarantee you’ll ever get one.
But regarding the question of whether the CB has been discontinued or not,
it has not been discontinued. This was confirmed to me by my contact at one of the boutiques.
Skyrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 10:36 PM   #440
harrison_cheng
"TRF" Member

if it is not discontined, who can get it? big collectors or the person who paid the downpayment?
harrison_cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:14 AM   #441
itswb
"TRF" Member

100 CBs a year for the entire world. I think my AD is expecting 1 every year or two now.
Old 18 May 2021, 09:51 PM   #442
jds1017
"TRF" Member

Quote:
100 CBs a year for the entire world. I think my AD is expecting 1 every year or two now.
Same observations here...
jds1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:26 PM   #443
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

F.P. Journe Chronometer Bleu pricing going through the roof!

Sad for most but fortunately for those with one, this is now a $100k watch but based on the laws of supply and demand it will probably be a $200k watch at some point. I see it never going under $100k again.

I made the mistake of selling mine in the $20s in 2018 and repurchased one in early 2020- it is never leaving the collection.

Looks great on pretty much every strap
Old 18 May 2021, 10:46 PM   #444
jds1017
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=bearxj86;11461686]Sad for most but fortunately for those with one, this is now a $100k watch but based on the laws of supply and demand it will probably be a $200k watch at some point. I see it never going under $100k again.

I made the mistake of selling mine in the $20s in 2018 and repurchased one in early 2020- it is never leaving the collection.

Agree! None for sale at the moment compared to the other hyped watches.
jds1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:56 PM   #445
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Sad for most but fortunately for those with one, this is now a $100k watch but based on the laws of supply and demand it will probably be a $200k watch at some point.
Putting logic to a lot of things today doesn't apply but if it ends up being a $200k watch then I might as well give up trying to figure anything out any more.
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 11:04 PM   #446
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
Putting logic to a lot of things today doesn't apply but if it ends up being a $200k watch then I might as well give up trying to figure anything out any more.
I am going off current market pricing ang trend which I agree is unprecedented. With 5711s and 15202st trading close to or above $100k vs $20k $30k just 2 years ago, the CB isn't alone in its climb.

That said, who knows what the future holds. I do know the CB is much lower production numbers but of course since it ain't a sports watch the demand should theoretically but lower.
Old 19 May 2021, 02:25 PM   #447
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

CB is not as popular as 5711 n 15202.. only if FPJ can market itself, more ppl get to know n aware of the brand like PP and AP.. the CB will be a 200k watch easily in today’s market. Dare I say there are still as much as 99% of the general public who have no clue what is a FPJ / CB .. some who heard of the brand think it is a grand seiko level n think PP AP are few level up.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 04:49 PM   #448
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
CB is not as popular as 5711 n 15202.. only if FPJ can market itself, more ppl get to know n aware of the brand like PP and AP.. the CB will be a 200k watch easily in today’s market. Dare I say there are still as much as 99% of the general public who have no clue what is a FPJ / CB .. some who heard of the brand think it is a grand seiko level n think PP AP are few level up.

True and I hope it remains that way for at least the next couple of years
Old 19 May 2021, 05:31 PM   #449
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Since the produced volume is 100 times less than patek
More or less , 750-850 per year versus 65.000
It does not have to be as popular to get a price explosion

99% don’t know journe... probably
But 99.9999% don’t know Philippe dufour 😉
And we know what happened with these prices.
Old 19 May 2021, 09:42 PM   #450
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Since the produced volume is 100 times less than patek
More or less , 750-850 per year versus 65.000
It does not have to be as popular to get a price explosion

99% don’t know journe... probably
But 99.9999% don’t know Philippe dufour 😉
And we know what happened with these prices.
Hmmmmm now that you mentioned Philippe Dufour .. Very interesting.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote