The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 April 2024, 05:30 AM   #1
Mackinley
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Rolex Sky Dweller Jumping Hour does not take date

Hi all,

I have a new from AD Rolex sky dweller. I was shocked to find the jumping hour GMT function (main hand, not 24hr dial) brings the date forward, but not backward. This means if moving backward instead of forward in time, I have to reset all the functions and can’t rely on the GMT hand alone because the date will be incorrect.

Is this a specific flaw to my watch, or a flaw to the sky dweller in general? My GMT Master II does not have this issue and brings the date in both directions.
Mackinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 05:34 AM   #2
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

You're correct. The date doesn't flip backwards, unlike the GMT. For this reason, I prefer the GMT for travel, even though I have both.
diracpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:44 AM   #3
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diracpoint View Post
You're correct. The date doesn't flip backwards, unlike the GMT. For this reason, I prefer the GMT for travel, even though I have both.
Wow -- I would have never guessed that. That's a deal killer for me ever getting one of these.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:46 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You adjust the date in both directions at a different bezel position to the hour jump bezel position. The Sky Dweller is a very simple watch to set up and its movement is different to a less complicated GMT. If you must have the hour jump and date jump on the same control you'll be wanting a GMT Master or Explorer II. Of course, you'll then be resetting the date more frequently.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:51 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
You adjust the date in both directions at a different bezel position to the hour jump bezel position. You have to turn the bezel past the date adjust position to get to the hour jump position.
^^^ thx for posting
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:58 AM   #6
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinley View Post
Hi all,

I have a new from AD Rolex sky dweller. I was shocked to find the jumping hour GMT function (main hand, not 24hr dial) brings the date forward, but not backward. This means if moving backward instead of forward in time, I have to reset all the functions and can’t rely on the GMT hand alone because the date will be incorrect.

Is this a specific flaw to my watch, or a flaw to the sky dweller in general? My GMT Master II does not have this issue and brings the date in both directions.
which one you have? this sounds like a problem I would like to have. I'll take it off your hands for you
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 07:02 AM   #7
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, you can adjust the date easily by the bezel. But that does not completely solve the problem.

Suppose, after midnight you flip the date back using the bezel. And, also change the jump hour back before 12 (say 10 o' clock). Then, you will end up with 10 AM on the previous date, not 10 PM. You'll have to flip the jump hour one full cycle to go to 10 PM of the previous date.

Not sure if this is clear or not. I tried it several times and this was my experience.
Old 14 April 2024, 07:31 AM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is clear or not.
I'm afraid it isn't but that's probably me being fick. Sorry.

The Sky Dweller is a 24 hour watch. It knows if it's am or pm by the position of the reference time disk, which you set in the hacked position.

The forward jumping date with hour function is an extra feature which Rolex managed to incorporate into the 9001 movement. It's not how you adjust the date, it's just a bit of extra functionality thrown in because they could.
Old 14 April 2024, 07:43 AM   #9
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I'm afraid it isn't but that's probably me being fick. Sorry.

The Sky Dweller is a 24 hour watch. It knows if it's am or pm by the position of the reference time disk, which you set in the hacked position.

The forward jumping date with hour function is an extra feature which Rolex managed to incorporate into the 9001 movement. It's not how you adjust the date, it's just a bit of extra functionality thrown in because they could.
You're correct. But, I was not talking about that. My point was about traveling, when your local time at destination is on the previous date, before midnight.
Old 14 April 2024, 09:33 AM   #10
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

As a commercial airline pilot when flying international I wear my BLRO--the Sky-Dweller stays at home.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 10:40 AM   #11
Mackinley
"TRF" Member

Wow, thank you for the feedback. This is both surprising and disappointing. For those mentioning that I can adjust the date manually, you are correct. However, because I have no way of reliably knowing if it’s AM or PM (for example if I jump past midnight then go back behind midnight), the only solution is to set everything to the day before and then go to first position, stop the watch, and manually set to the date prior then pass forward to the current date to ensure it’s AM then PM.

I just spent a 3 day trip with the date being correct in the morning then switching at noon and being incorrect. Threw me off all weekend.

In summary, it has about the same actual GMT functionality of a $600 Seiko “caller” because the only accurate way to set it is stop the whole watch and individually set everything. What a POS…
Old 14 April 2024, 11:05 AM   #12
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
... However, because I have no way of reliably knowing if it’s AM or PM (for example if I jump past midnight then go back behind midnight), ...
Hi, it sets to AM time. You just have to cycle the jumping hour one full cycle to go to PM. No need to stop the watch.

It's not as friendly as the GMT for travel.

Old 14 April 2024, 03:50 PM   #13
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a POS…
That was an expensive mistake then.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 05:26 PM   #14
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
That was an expensive mistake then.

alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 11:29 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

In summary, it has about the same actual GMT functionality of a $600 Seiko “caller” because the only accurate way to set it is stop the whole watch and individually set everything. What a POS…
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you have to "stop the whole watch" to set the date. I was under the impression you could just switch bezel positions and do it from there.

If wrong, I'll happily stand corrected.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 11:47 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My point was about traveling, when your local time at destination is on the previous date, before midnight.
You'll be needing the GMT Master II or Explorer II.
Old 15 April 2024, 03:15 AM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you have to "stop the whole watch" to set the date. I was under the impression you could just switch bezel positions and do it from there.

You're not wrong.
Old 16 April 2024, 04:11 PM   #18
Mackinley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post

You are correct that I can move the date by changing bezel positions, but without knowing if it’s AM or PM the date is useless.
Old 16 April 2024, 04:14 PM   #19
Mackinley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS9D View Post
which one you have? this sounds like a problem I would like to have. I'll take it off your hands for you
Stainless steel blue on the oyster bracelet.
Old 16 April 2024, 05:58 PM   #20
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are correct that I can move the date by changing bezel positions, but without knowing if it’s AM or PM the date is useless.
You might wish to watch this video, 0.50”-1’30”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KUXPDmu8k

The 24 hour Sub dial is always the reference home time.

When you set the local hours hand for the first time turn it past 12 until the date changes. That’s midnight.

If you change time zone then it’s bezel position two for the hour hand and position one for date and your done.

If for some reason you completely lose track of night and day with the local hours hand then you can at any time return to bezel position two, spin the hour past midnight and then set the date.

You do not need to reset the watch in position three to do any of this.

The ring command and bidirectional date setting makes the sky dweller very quick to set up and maintain.

Did the SA demo this watch to you? Have you read the instructions book?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 10:50 PM   #21
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Of course you know the AM or PM. That's the second bezel position function, I believe. That's what those little numbers in the center circle are for.

TBH, it sounds like you never took the time to learn about the functions of the watch. Maybe you should do that.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote