The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #481
narembeen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wheeler7 View Post
Hi, this must be the longest, most eagerly awaited "incoming" thread ever!

Interestingly, an old friend of mind purchased a 5513 brand new in about 1977, he's still wearing it to this day, it genuinely never leaves his wrist, except when the bracelet broke, the glass got smashed (x2) or it stopped. Not surprising as he was in the building trade and now HGV driving! Never been back to Rolex - always used a local independent and it's still keeps good time.
Next time I bump into him I'll ask if I can take a few pics, I expect it'll have a lot of replacement parts by now but I can't imagine the stories it could tell.

Regards
Tony.
Hi Tony, that sounds like a 5513 thats had the same life as the one left to me. Pictures and some tales of its life are most welcome here
narembeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #482
narembeen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
I’ve loved keeping my eye on this thread. However, I’m starting to think this is becoming for all of us like waiting for a Christmas present you really want with all the anticipation and excitement. I just hope you do get it before Christmas!
I am pretty confident I will have it shortly. He said it was only two weeks away. I did ask for some progress photos and he didnt reply. Fingers crossed.
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #483
Dontknow
2020 SUBMARINER Pledge Member

I keep checking in on this. I am excited to see the final result.

I’ve been following this for a bit and it has definitely been quite a journey. I look forwards to seeing it, and for you to have it back and up to par as well.
Old Today, 01:58 AM   #484
Brny11
2020 Pledge Member

Subscribed! Excited to see results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:09 AM   #485
Slimpee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narembeen View Post
I am pretty confident I will have it shortly. He said it was only two weeks away. I did ask for some progress photos and he didnt reply. Fingers crossed.
I hate to be the grinch here, but does anyone else get a bad feeling about how this is going down?

I really hope i'm wrong...
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:26 AM   #486
Stan Cooper
2020 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
No bad feeling about it here.

It ordinarily takes a long time to get all the right pieces together, chose the right watchmaker(s), get the work on their calendars, and have it all come together for a project like this. Additional delays caused by the pandemic further complicate things.

It takes patience.

16710N, P serial
- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 AM   #487
GGGMT
2020 Pledge Member

Watch: 16713; 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
No bad feeling about it here.

It ordinarily takes a long time to get all the right pieces together, chose the right watchmaker(s), get the work on their calendars, and have it all come together for a project like this. Additional delays caused by the pandemic further complicate things.

It takes patience.

Coops is right. This is going to take some time, our friend in Narembeen Has put the right due diligence and research into this, feeling good and enjoying the ride!
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #488
Slimpee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Coops is right. This is going to take some time, our friend in Narembeen Has put the right due diligence and research into this, feeling good and enjoying the ride!
Word. My job centers primarily around...malfeasance...so perhaps i'm overly sensitive.

Every time I see a new post I hope it's finished pics.

Hopefully soon!
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #489
eton97
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD, 1675, 5167a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
Word...Every time I see a new post I hope it's finished pics.

Hopefully soon!
EXACTLY the same
eton97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #490
GGGMT
2020 Pledge Member

Watch: 16713; 424
Quote:
My job centers primarily around...malfeasance...so perhaps i'm overly sensitive. !
Ah funny! Lemme hazard a few guesses — white collar dense lawyer; law enforcement; Certified Fraud Examiner; insurance investigator. Am I close? Way off?
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #491
narembeen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hate to be the grinch here, but does anyone else get a bad feeling about how this is going down?

I really hope i'm wrong...
Well look, if we are still having a conversation about this watch in a month then yes I will be worried. I hope to hear about it soon and either have it in hand or have photos. The request for photos seemed quite reasonable and not receiving a response for two weeks seems a bit unusual to be honest. I am not used to having watches restored like this, so I dont know what is normal.
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #492
narembeen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eton97 View Post
EXACTLY the same
I'm sorry, I am starting to feel a bit guilty about the lack of information now.
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #493
Filipćo
2020 Pledge Member

Watch: Never too many
Calm down Gents, calm down!

I had and have the happiest feeling about this restore. Every little thing on a vintage Rolex takes ages to source/fix and that's the fun of it.

+ the pandemic delays...
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #494
Tritto
"TRF" Member

Step fathers 5513

Although I've been silent, I've been following this thread from the start. I'm really pleased with the way you've handled the restoration, @narembeen.
For all those who're getting antsy at the time it's taking the watchmaker and his poor responsiveness, this is just the way some watchmakers work - especially those who are more "old school". With some tricky jobs I've had to patiently wait up to two years. It's very frustrating, but that's just the way it is. Independent local watchmaking is a dying art and their services are in high demand. A few years ago I could choose between 5 watchmakers in my CBD. Three have retired so I'm down to two, and they're both struggling to keep up.

Constantly asking the watchmaker for updates rarely moves things along.

Tritto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #495
narembeen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
Although I've been silent, I've been following this thread from the start. I'm really pleased with the way you've handled the restoration, @narembeen.
For all those who're getting antsy at the time it's taking the watchmaker and his poor responsiveness, this is just the way some watchmakers work - especially those who are more "old school". With some tricky jobs I've had to patiently wait up to two years. It's very frustrating, but that's just the way it is. Independent local watchmaking is a dying art and their services are in high demand. A few years ago I could choose between 5 watchmakers in my CBD. Three have retired so I'm down to two, and they're both struggling to keep up.

Constantly asking the watchmaker for updates rarely moves things along.

Thanks Tritto. I agree, the art of watch restoration is something that hopefully experiences a resurgence due to crazy guys like me. I've given my watch maker plenty of time and space. This was not a pleasant or standard restoration I am sure. The fact a working rolex will pop out at the end of this process still amazes me.