The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 March 2008, 12:08 PM   #1
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Official price increases

I saw the price sheet first hand. Big increases.

16610 Sub: +13%
16710 GMT: +13%
116710 GMT: +15%
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
I saw it too. IMO they're nuts. Period.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
I agree, the price increases were definitely very steep, I was only anticipating less than 10% but some models have as high as a 15% raise.

The fact that they make price increases on a very consistent basis and do it much more often than other brands is something that I will never like about Rolex.

Lets hope that these new prices will be around for many years before another increase happens again.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:17 PM   #4
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
The largest increase is 24% and the lowest is 2%. I think the larger one was on a Platinum model. I saw a one that had gone up by $6100 - now that's a serious increase.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:26 PM   #5
ianmedium
Deregistered

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere else but can someone explain to me why watches that have already been made and are in the AD's are included in the price increase, surely if the increase reflects an increase in cost of manufacturing then the increase should only apply to watches not yet at the dealers.
Watches at the dealers could be months old when presumably the cost of manufacturing was less!
It's like gas in a gas station, why on earth should the gas in the tanks go up, the stuff was already made before the price of oil went up.
I am sure an economist on the forum can clarify but I do not think it will satisfy me, it just stinks of profiteering to me. As for the increase, well it is enormous and seriously puts into question the worth of a Rolex now. Heck as well as a datejust I have several other watches including a 38 jewel new timex, I swear the timex in many ways is better finished and t was $180!!!! and before anyone says about longevity I have a couple of old timex's from the 60's that still keep perfect time!
ianmedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
mdx77
"TRF" Member

“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:32 PM   #7
ianmedium
Deregistered

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdx77 View Post
Yeh I guess I deserved flaming for the timex thing but the price increase really gets my goat!
ianmedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
jfishe08

it now costs the AR that price to replace.

Would you raise the MSRP if you were the AD?

I sure would
jfishe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
Forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere else but can someone explain to me why watches that have already been made and are in the AD's are included in the price increase, surely if the increase reflects an increase in cost of manufacturing then the increase should only apply to watches not yet at the dealers.
Watches at the dealers could be months old when presumably the cost of manufacturing was less!
It's like gas in a gas station, why on earth should the gas in the tanks go up, the stuff was already made before the price of oil went up.
I am sure an economist on the forum can clarify but I do not think it will satisfy me, it just stinks of profiteering to me. As for the increase, well it is enormous and seriously puts into question the worth of a Rolex now. Heck as well as a datejust I have several other watches including a 38 jewel new timex, I swear the timex in many ways is better finished and t was $180!!!! and before anyone says about longevity I have a couple of old timex's from the 60's that still keep perfect time!
There are still F series in the AD cases. I'm no economist but no one is going to question an F vs. M except the .001% of people who populate Rolex forums. People walk into an AD and expect to pay too much for a Rolex. It's called capitalism. As far as saying saying your Timex is as well finished as a Rolex I'm not sure what to say about that but as always good pics are a must.
Old 1 March 2008, 01:48 PM   #10
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
There are still F series in the AD cases. I'm no economist but no one is going to question an F vs. M except the .001% of people who populate Rolex forums.
I completely agree Mike. Its like age is nothing but a number when it comes to ADs selling "unworn" watches. Whether its an M serial or a F serial, if its unworn, they will sell that watch at MSRP which may include a discount in some cases.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 01:52 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Yeh I guess I deserved flaming for the timex thing but the price increase really gets my goat!
You've gotta see what it's done to my sheep, Ian!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 02:15 PM   #12
problmchylde
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 SD
problmchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 03:16 PM   #13
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
the value (price) is based on replacement cost not cost of original acquisition. i have my watch (and other possessions) insured along the same premise; i am sure you do too. if my watch was only insured for purchase price, then i'd be screwed if something happened to it (since i bought it with a nice discount and the price just went up 15%).
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 07:16 PM   #14
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
JJ, I just read your thread that there will be no price increases in NZ, yet! Nice one!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote