The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2017, 10:09 AM   #31
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mito125 View Post
i just got in contact with DavidSW, he has a 116710 BLNR and can send it to his friend in the diamond district. what you think on this. is it safe?
Safe as long as you're really talking to David.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:19 AM   #32
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Please help a newbee.... ROLEX GMT BATMAN

I would recommend an AD in NYC but good luck trying to find it available when you arrive! How long you staying?

Alternatively, plenty of good people here you can arrange a meet-up in NYC. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase from TRF and the plethora of good people on here - too bad I live in Canada and with exchange rates + shipping customs makes it a challenge to sell / buy from the US .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:56 PM   #33
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i just got in contact with DavidSW. is it a safe place to buy? he said that he can deliver the watch to his friend in the diamond district...

what your thoughts on this?

You can 100% trust David. I was in Orlando florida for business less than 2 weeks ago and met him in person (and bought a watch from him). If you can’t find an AD with one, don’t hesitate to use David. His price currently appears to be a bit cheaper than MSRP + NYC Tax. You can pay by wire transfer or PayPal, the latter is a few % more but still a bit cheaper than Buying from AD and PayPal May give you some piece of mind . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #34
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Sounds like the AD route is best for you.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 03:30 AM   #35
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I've bought several watches from DavidSW and he's very trustworthy.

Alternatively, you could buy a slightly used one, save some money, and have the seller ship it to your hotel.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:00 AM   #36
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Our Trusted Sellers have varying reputations, and active availability in the NYC area. I've heard stellar things about David, so if you're currently dealing with him, you're already in great hands. Full experience would dictate a visit to a Rolex AD, of which you can find a list on Rolex.com for any area you will be in. Happy Hunting and enjoy the Big Apple!

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:05 AM   #37
Bdiesel570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
thanks to all of you.
i have so many useful data from all of you.

so rules for me to follow!
1. from now on call it ref. 116710 BLNR
2. stay away from diamond district.
3. go to AD
4. go to AD

what about the DavidSW, is it a safe place to buy from?
Davidsw is solid. I have had many pieces from him. Class act.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"The will to live, will always outweigh the ability to die."
Bdiesel570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 05:07 AM   #38
Bdiesel570
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiesel570 View Post
Davidsw is solid. I have had many pieces from him. Class act.

I actually just got a BLNR from him in a trade last week.

Old 24 October 2017, 11:08 AM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Buy new from an AD.

There are other ways to not get scammed, but it's the surest way to be safe when you are new to the game.

I've paid cash for all my Rolex watches and most of my Tudors, but in your case, it's probably better to use another safer method.

My AD used to be across the street from the bank, so I used to just drop by the bank and head over the AD, where I spent a lot of time anyway.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:16 AM   #40
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Buy from AD
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 10:54 PM   #41
wiggindude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
If you have the money to buy it new, I would just rather go to an AD but that's just me.
wiggindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:10 AM   #42
Pte6000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & a Jubilee
David is Trustworthy
All you need is Wire or PayPal, and then Fedex
Why would you bother with having it transferred to the Diamond District?

You are making this harder than it needs to be.
All the best, enjoy your watch

Quote:
i just got in contact with DavidSW, he has a 116710 BLNR and can send it to his friend in the diamond district. what you think on this. is it safe?
Pte6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:21 AM   #43
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pte6000 View Post
Why would you bother with having it transferred to the Diamond District?
I suspect that since the OP is wanting to do a cash deal, that David's friend in the district will handle it for him.

International wires are more difficult to do, and I know my bank requires me to be there in person for an outgoing wire, difficult to do if I'm in a different country...

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 25 October 2017, 03:31 AM   #44
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Probably, you can trust him. Just make sure you record all comms between you and make sure it is clear you are not responsible for the watch until it is in your hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
I have not dealt with him, but DavidSW has a rock solid reputation here. I would trust him.
DavidSW is a rock solid as they come; I've heard many, many positive stories of dealings with him and never one negative. Congratulations on getting your BLNR. Working with David is a great approach!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 03:35 AM   #45
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I suspect that since the OP is wanting to do a cash deal, that David's friend in the district will handle it for him.

International wires are more difficult to do, and I know my bank requires me to be there in person for an outgoing wire, difficult to do if I'm in a different country...
Yes, that's what I thought, too.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 04:03 AM   #46
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailhunter View Post
There isn’t an advantage to paying cash and you incur a real risk of being robbed. Using a credit card provides protection that cash does not. I also highly recommend buying from an Authorized Dealer. Even experts can be fooled into buying fakes or watches with bogus parts. Do not put the watch in your checked bags or your carry-on. You can be robbed either way. Wear the watch and have a duplicate of your sales receipt on your person.
This.

In the US if you get caught by authorities with a large sum of cash, generally $10,000 and higher, it can be seized. And you're unlikely to get all of it, and maybe any of it, back once you prove you are not a drug dealer or laundering money. Basically if you're carrying that kind of money around it will be assumed you are up to no good, no innocent until proven guilty on this. Use a CC, AD's don't give discounts for cash, especially on a high demand watch like the BLNR. They'd rather pay the card fees than lose a Rolex sale if bought with stolen/laundered money.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 04:15 AM   #47
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
In the US if you get caught by authorities with a large sum of cash, generally $10,000 and higher, it can be seized. . . Use a CC, AD's don't give discounts for cash, especially on a high demand watch like the BLNR. They'd rather pay the card fees than lose a Rolex sale if bought with stolen/laundered money.
I respectfully disagree with this. Part 1, bringing it large amounts of cash, yes, could present a problem if you don't know the rules. But if he's buying a BLNR for $8900, then that's under the $10K limit. You can bring in more than $10K as long as you declare it to US Customs.

The problem that I have with the rest of the comment is that you say that dealers would rather have a CC than cash. They're paying 2% or more for that card, and most would much rather have that $180 additional profit than worrying about "stolen" money. I can't imagine how you'd prove that the money was "laundered", and being proven stolen, with all of the serial numbers known, is rather unlikely these days. Much greater chance of that credit card being stolen, wouldn't you think?

Old 25 October 2017, 05:41 AM   #48
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I respectfully disagree with this. Part 1, bringing it large amounts of cash, yes, could present a problem if you don't know the rules. But if he's buying a BLNR for $8900, then that's under the $10K limit. You can bring in more than $10K as long as you declare it to US Customs.

The problem that I have with the rest of the comment is that you say that dealers would rather have a CC than cash. They're paying 2% or more for that card, and most would much rather have that $180 additional profit than worrying about "stolen" money. I can't imagine how you'd prove that the money was "laundered", and being proven stolen, with all of the serial numbers known, is rather unlikely these days. Much greater chance of that credit card being stolen, wouldn't you think?
I agree about declaring to customs but I wonder how many people actually do. And yes the watch is under 9000 but it's probably not a stretch to imagine he'd bring more cash with him, that he's not going to use it all on a watch.

Yes, there is always the chance of a stolen CC but one would hope an AD, or anyone selling a 4-figure and higher items, would check the card against and ID and make sure the ID picture matches the buyer of someone not known to them. Honestly I have no idea if the authorities could undo a Rolex sale that was made using illegitimately acquired money, but I don't see why they couldn't.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:52 AM   #49
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Hi

Im Arthur
I was dreaming of a Rolex for a long time. finally saved some money for a GMT BATMAN, im originally from Israel and i will be in NYC in about 20 days form today. i want to buy the watch in cash in NYC and take it with me.

Im afraid to be cheated as scammed. how can i get the watch in NYC and be sure that im not get cheated.

thanks for the help.
(Future) congrats! I bought my BLNR Batman five months ago and love it -- I'm sure you will too.

The only way you can guarantee not to have questions is going to a Rolex Authorized Dealer, or AD.

The BLNR is in short supply but by no means impossible to find. But you may need patience.

I'd look up authorized dealers on the Rolex website (and only there). You may also consider some of the trusted sellers here on the forum -- I've not dealt with DavidSW but his reputation is so stellar I'd have no reservations about him.

What I would *not* recommend, especially being new, is to look at places like Amazon and eBay. I tried this route when my local AD didn't have the BLNR and I'm glad I waited. There is just too much at risk for that kind of money.

Last, I'd expect to pay full retail for this watch. It's an *incredible* piece and I think you will be very happy with it.

Good luck!
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:54 AM   #50
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLNYC View Post
From what I see in the FS, most TS here are in the diamond district and most NYers will say proceed with caution when dealing with stores/jewelers in the diamond district. I'd go to Wempe on 5th Ave if going the AD route and like most people will tell you, beware of Tourneau
Great point that I forgot. There are a number of Tourneau locations in Manhattan. I'd avoid them ALL! They are just terrible people to deal with.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:10 AM   #51
Mito125
"TRF" Member

I have contacted davidSW he told me that he transfers the watch to his friend on the 47th street. I was told here to stay away from 47th. Can i trust him or you smell s scam on me. How can i be sure that the watch is new and not messed up from the inside. What should i check when i pick up the watch?
Mito125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:11 AM   #52
Bdiesel570
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have contacted davidSW he told me that he transfers the watch to his friend on the 47th street. I was told here to stay away from 47th. Can i trust him or you smell s scam on me. How can i be sure that the watch is new and not messed up from the inside. What should i check when i pick up the watch?
DavidSW is one of the most trusted people in the watch game. I think you are safe.

Old 10 November 2017, 07:12 AM   #53
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
I cant imagine someone with the rep of DavidSW not doing everything "above board".... I wouldn't be worth the bad publicity.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:18 AM   #54
camoedoutlander
"TRF" Member

Either use an AD or David SW is a very trust worthy source!
camoedoutlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 07:34 AM   #55
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
As long as you are sure you are dealing with the real davidsw you should be fine, just tell him you will detail any problems on this forum and that way you are sure to get excellent service, he will make sure you are happy.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote