The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2019, 10:51 AM   #1
T3F
"TRF" Member

Market Value of 26579CE

Hi all,

I might get made fun of for this, but I don't really care. I'm looking at buying a 26579CE, and it seems my only two options are to either buy grey or to try and further my relationship with AP and cross my fingers. I absolutely will pursue the second option regardless, but since I've only bought three watches so far and have spent ~$65k, I'm guessing I'm a way off from getting the call for anything that limited. This has been one of my favorite watches since its release, and as we're coming up on three years since it debuted, I'm getting a little tired of waiting, especially when I could easily wait another three years and still not get allocated one. I decided buying grey was at least worth exploring in the meantime -- sure, I'll pay more, but I'll also get one right away, and I'm not opposed to paying a 15-20% premium (assuming I could negotiate down to that) to get one potentially years sooner.

From looking at C24, it seems that most greys have these listed at around $125k. I've bought from the secondary market previously and have only managed to get moderate discounts (like 5%) from the asking price. However, this was on watches that were in the 4 or low 5-digit price bracket that were already being offered at a reasonable amount. For the 26579CE, which is much more expensive, I'm wondering what the "game" looks like and whether anybody here can advise me on what price to shoot for. I've been monitoring the market and it looks like these are hardly moving at the current prices, and quite a few dealers have them in-hand. That would lead me to believe that I have a decent chance of finding a grey that wants to get rid of one for ~$110k or so, but I don't know how the secondary market works on these and wouldn't be shocked if I was wrong and nobody wanted to budge.

Thanks everyone!
Old 29 December 2019, 11:02 AM   #2
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
You wont get a new 2019 one for 110k IMO. The piece is $93,900 going up in January to $95,700 in January and as of July AP is now obligated to charge tax even if you live out of state so owners who opt to flip are in these for 100k.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
barracuda28
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/RM/Rolex
I was in that same dilemma a few months ago but i don’t do grey at all so it was an easier decision for me.

If you are not planning on getting any more pieces i would suggest to go grey. For that particular piece a friend of mine was able to source it around 116k about 3 months ago.

Good luck with your decision and search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
barracuda28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 03:54 PM   #4
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

A year ago, I think you might have been able to "get away" with a tourbillon piece, which would amount to a minimum of about $125K, to then be considered for the ceramic perpetual, but even then it was really up to the discretion of the boutique manager.

At current state I feel that it's more about building up pieces, ie. buying pieces from various lines, to then be considered for the ceramic perpetual. Not just buy one big complication piece.

Only my 2 cents..
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote