The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 June 2023, 11:27 AM   #1
dannyp
Banned

Pulled crown out, watch didn't hack

Had a weird one tonight: Pulled the crown of a time-only watch out to its second position (or is ti first?), felt it actually pull out, but then the watch didn't hack. Pushed it back in and tried again, and it did as it was supposed to. Is it possible it just wasn't fully engaged the first time? Or did I have some gear or something slip?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 12:52 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What Watch?
Was it hacking before today?

Such Watch with ETA have some models without a hacking movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 12:53 PM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
It happens.
Sometimes things don't quite engage as intended as it's such a fine line inside these tiny things.
I've had that exact same thing as well as other silly little things happen from time to time and all is well with my watches as far as I can tell.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2023, 08:04 PM   #4
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
What Watch?
Was it hacking before today?

Such Watch with ETA have some models without a hacking movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yea, it's a modern Rolex three-hander. Seems to be a one-off thing.
Old 25 June 2023, 08:05 PM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
It happens.
Sometimes things don't quite engage as intended as it's such a fine line inside these tiny things.
I've had that exact same thing as well as other silly little things happen from time to time and all is well with my watches as far as I can tell.
Thanks. For a moment was worried that I'd managed to create a problem, unrelated to the problem, on a 32xx .
Old 26 June 2023, 02:50 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Probably extended the crown far enough to engage the intermediate setting wheels, but not far enough to have the balance stopper hit the balance wheel. It happens sometimes.

It's not super common, usually a change of one of the parts (setting lever, setting lever jumper, intermediate setting wheels, minute wheel, stem, balance stop spring) can be enough to never have it happen again.

All parts are manufactured with a tolerance, some spings or gears might be a couple of microns thicker, and some are nicer finished than others when compared to different manufacturing years, etc. Sometimes you get a parts combination and have a glitch like this happen. It's not harmful.

Another example of something similar is when you have a 3185/86 GMT movement (happens on the 3135 as well but much much less common), that when you pull out the crown to the setting position it won't let you, like something is blocking, then after winding and/or quick setting the hour it pulls out to the second position just fine.
What happens is that the 3135-250 intermetiate setting wheels that are in all of the variations of the 31×× series, hit each other teeth on teeth, blocking pulling it out to the setting position.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 04:28 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Probably extended the crown far enough to engage the intermediate setting wheels, but not far enough to have the balance stopper hit the balance wheel. It happens sometimes.

It's not super common, usually a change of one of the parts (setting lever, setting lever jumper, intermediate setting wheels, minute wheel, stem, balance stop spring) can be enough to never have it happen again.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a "pulled it out, just not all the way" situation? Not that on a relatively new Rolex 3230 that alone would indicate a need to have a part replaced because something is off? Or that's only if it happens repeatedly?

Single instance should be chalked up to a shrug of the shoulders and "meh, happens sometimes" then forget it and move on?

For what it's worth, I didn't attempt to set the watch (just pushed crown back in and pulled again) so I have no idea what was/wasn't engaged.
Old 26 June 2023, 10:55 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

All parts are manufactured with a tolerance, some spings or gears might be a couple of microns thicker, and some are nicer finished than others when compared to different manufacturing years, etc. Sometimes you get a parts combination and have a glitch like this happen. It's not harmful.

Another example of something similar is when you have a 3185/86 GMT movement (happens on the 3135 as well but much much less common), that when you pull out the crown to the setting position it won't let you, like something is blocking, then after winding and/or quick setting the hour it pulls out to the second position just fine.
What happens is that the 3135-250 intermetiate setting wheels that are in all of the variations of the 31×× series, hit each other teeth on teeth, blocking pulling it out to the setting position.
Great explanation.
Many thanks
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 06:09 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Thanks for that. Sounds like a "pulled it out, just not all the way" situation? Not that on a relatively new Rolex 3230 that alone would indicate a need to have a part replaced because something is off? Or that's only if it happens repeatedly?

Single instance should be chalked up to a shrug of the shoulders and "meh, happens sometimes" then forget it and move on?

For what it's worth, I didn't attempt to set the watch (just pushed crown back in and pulled again) so I have no idea what was/wasn't engaged.
It can definitely happen again, but it is not something to worry about If you don't force anything it will not do any harm in the movement.

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2023, 10:52 PM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Great explanation.
Many thanks
Agree!

Quote:
It can definitely happen again, but it is not something to worry about If you don't force anything it will not do any harm in the movement.

Much appreciated