The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2018, 03:01 AM   #61
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
I want to love the Explorer II but having a hard time. 42mm with a skinny bezel but fat hands and markers is different...
Does the 42mm ExII where very different than the 40mm SubC?
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 03:08 AM   #62
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post

I really think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2018, 06:19 AM   #63
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
I like both but I chose the air king because it looks so different. Really pops in real life and pics don’t do it justice.

zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:25 AM   #64
mrhy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Expulsion 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mrhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:29 AM   #65
TheFuture
"TRF" Member

Exp 2!
TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:33 AM   #66
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
The unscratchable qualities of ceramic bezel can not be ignored...
It is also more breakable, which runs counter to the marketing angle for the Explorer line. I think the two attributes cancel each other out on this particular model. Or perhaps, advantage steel.

Quote:
...it would improve the watch while incrementally refresh its design. Rolex's philosophy is to spare no expense if it can improve the quality of the watch.
That could be said every year...and has been for the last several, regarding the Exp. IIc. Should people only buy an Exp. II in the late spring and summer, never in the fall or winter, because the new model could be just around the corner? Beyond the idea that it could happen (and that some guy with a blog who is good at Photoshop keeps suggesting it might), is there any reason to think it will? The current GMT and Sub lines have been around longer. Wouldn't it makes sense Rolex would update them first, and leave the Exp. II for later?

One more reason to buy the current: a lot of the model's fans think the steel bezel on the Exp. II is iconic. If Rolex were to introduce the Exp. IIc this year, and discontinue the steel-bezel version, the older version would become a collectible. It wouldn't be the rarest animal on the planet, but with a seven-year production run and less-than-stellar sales, it wouldn't be the most common, either. Especially the Polar.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:53 AM   #67
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
The unscratchable qualities of ceramic bezel can not be ignored, and it would improve the watch while incrementally refresh its design. Rolex's philosophy is to spare no expense if it can improve the quality of the watch. However, historically -- and unlike the Daytona -- the Explorer II never sported a black bezel before, and Rolex may want to keep it that way. But definitely hold off for the Explorer II blue dial in platinum with Oysterflex. That's a sure thing. (I saw a letter sent out to all Rolex dealers about it.)
I think I have it said earlier sometime years back but here it is again. When Rolex introduced Ceramic in 2005 it started modernizing and upgrading all their watches to SIX digits. So, they started with GMT Master II, PM and Submariner by 2010. Then they upgraded Explorer II in 2012 after more than 2 decades and when doing that they already had ceramic at hand but they didn't decide on the ceramic as to keep it away from GMT Master II models and give its own identity and keep the tool watch tradition. They already passed that river and took a decision and now why folks keep expecting ceramic for Explorer II again?

Like Daytona last model was released in 2000 and then when the time to upgrade to modern times, it had option to select ceramic and it chose the ceramic bezels over steel. Explorer II was already upgraded to modern standards in their revision of models and I don't see it getting another change in less than a decade without movement upgrade.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 06:54 AM   #68
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
It is also more breakable, which runs counter to the marketing angle for the Explorer line. I think the two attributes cancel each other out on this particular model. Or perhaps, advantage steel. B
Good point. Didn’t think about that.

Quote:
Should people only buy an Exp. II in the late spring and summer, never in the fall or winter, because the new model could be just around the corner? B

I think if you’ve waited that long to get a Rolex and your purchase is not linked to an event you want to celebrate (and you are just a month away from Baselworld) yeah, February... I’d wait if you can. Also, Nov through Jan are probably the worst months to get a discount from either an AD or a grey dealer. Inventory is low. Rolex is going on holiday break in December and is closed for inventory in January.

Old 4 February 2018, 06:59 AM   #69
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Also, Nov through Jan are probably the worst months to get a discount from either an AD or a grey dealer. Inventory is low. Rolex is going on holiday break in December and is closed for inventory in January.
That's a good point, too. OP did locate a new one for a nice discount, though. Apparently it was meant to be.
Old 4 February 2018, 07:08 AM   #70
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Explorer II was already upgraded to modern standards in their revision of models and I don't see it getting another change in less than a decade without movement upgrade.
Excellent point.

As far as movement goes, the current 3187 is actually a larger movement than either the 3186 or 3235. That means Rolex can't just drop in a 3235 (which presumably would have been upgraded to 3286, for the GMT function), but would have to re-engineer a new movement to fit the watch - perhaps a 3287. I assume that will eventually happen, but probably not before Rolex has transitioned its more mainstream models to the 3235/3286. That could take years.
Old 4 February 2018, 07:50 AM   #71
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Excellent point.

As far as movement goes, the current 3185 is actually a larger movement than either the 3186 or 3235. That means Rolex can't just drop in a 3235 (which presumably would have been upgraded to 3286, for the GMT function), but would have to re-engineer a new movement to fit the watch - perhaps a 3285. I assume that will eventually happen, but probably not before Rolex has transitioned its more mainstream models to the 3235/3286. That could take years.
It’s a 3187 in the Exp 2
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 07:51 AM   #72
RolexPD
"TRF" Member

The current Explorer II movement is the 3187.
RolexPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 07:57 AM   #73
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Have owned both Expl II dials, white and now black.
Very comfy bracelet. I do not care for the plain bezel on the AK.
Prior poster brought up idea of a ceramic bezel for 2018 Basel, since it has not been updated in a while. You may want to wait and see what happens. Even with ceramic bezel, Expl II has been a slower mover SS sport watch for Rolex. I always see them in the display at AD’s.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 08:12 AM   #74
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_88 View Post
It’s a 3187 in the Exp 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexPD View Post
The current Explorer II movement is the 3187.

You're right. Sorry...too many numbers done confused me. I'll edit my previous post.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:27 AM   #75
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
I am a HUGE fan of the Explorer 2. I love both colors, but chose black as I feel black is better for an everyday watch. But man the polar is damn nice too. I would legitimately consider adding a polar. I have a white Milgauss and a 39mm Explorer and the Explorer 2 dominates the wrist time.

Having said that, I think the modern AK is really cool. Perfect size at 40 and it’s a little different and not that common. However I’ve only seen two Explorer 2’s in the wild, so not too common either. For comparison, I’ve seen easily 100 Submariners.

Here are some pics of mine. Good luck!

chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 09:54 AM   #76
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Explorer II, any color, really. It‘s highly subjective, but I love the rugged looks, GMT and date function. Every time I travel, I bring my Explorer and get tons of compliments.
Michigan_State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2018, 01:20 PM   #77
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_State View Post
Explorer II, any color, really. It‘s highly subjective, but I love the rugged looks, GMT and date function. Every time I travel, I bring my Explorer and get tons of compliments.
I agree with Sparty....it is ruggedly good looking. Definitely the most tool watch of the lot.
Old 6 February 2018, 06:41 AM   #78
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Unimaginably so. It wears so much bigger. When I tried on a bunch of Rolexes, I was a guy who would routinely wear 42-44mm watches, and the Explorer II felt like it wore kind of big to me.

But, back to the topic at hand. The Explorer II would be the choice I'd make of these two, because even though I do like the Air King, I don't like it enough to buy. It's a bit schizophrenic, with the observation dial AND 3-6-9 leftover Explorer numerals, and its green and yellow lettering and crown. Just a little too much going on for me to plunk down that kind of cash. If one were given to me, I'd wear it, defend it, et al, but I wouldn't spend my own money on it.

In reality, though, I'd side step both and either get a late Explorer II 16570 or, if you want to stick with the whimsical Rolexes, I'd go with a Milgauss, probably the past white/orange model, but a new one will do too.
Raza_actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 07:00 AM   #79
richrichy
"TRF" Member

Explorer II for sure!
richrichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 07:46 AM   #80
The_Watch_Clocker
Banned

although the new air king is 40mm, the 42mm explorer 2 is one of the prettiest watches in the line up.

get the explorer 2.
The_Watch_Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 11:35 PM   #81
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Yes. On me the EXPII is more comfortable. It's due to the wider, flatter caseback.

The Air King is a cool watch however the EXPII wins out here for me. I've had my current one for seven months. It's the longest I've kept a watch in three years
Old 7 February 2018, 07:25 AM   #82
tlbarrs
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your comments guys. I’ve been and tried them both on today and the Explorer ii is the one for me I liked the Air King but didn’t love it like the Explorer. They had it in both the white and black dials which was very cool too compare the 2 next to each other and I’m still unsure which one I like the best.
I tried and tried to get a discount but they wouldn’t budge a penny on the price and I just couldn’t justify spending £750 more than the grey dealers offering it for so walked out of the shop empty handed very disappointing ☹️
tlbarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 07:38 AM   #83
houls61
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub Date
I just picked this up today and previously had an Explorer 2 Polar and I must say this Air King is pretty awesome looking in the flesh. I like the size a little better too.

Tag Heuer Calibre 17 CAY2112 Chrono
houls61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 07:40 AM   #84
wekke
"TRF" Member

Air-King without a doubt
wekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 02:32 PM   #85
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

I’d go Exp II black face, although I do like the weight and extra magnetic protection of the Air King and appreciate why you are considering it. All things being equal, I’d go Explorer II.
Old 7 February 2018, 02:45 PM   #86
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mui.richard View Post
well, here's my vote

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
If I can aford another Rolex at some point it will likely be one of these.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 03:09 PM   #87
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbarrs View Post
Thanks for all your comments guys. I’ve been and tried them both on today and the Explorer ii is the one for me I liked the Air King but didn’t love it like the Explorer. They had it in both the white and black dials which was very cool too compare the 2 next to each other and I’m still unsure which one I like the best.
I tried and tried to get a discount but they wouldn’t budge a penny on the price and I just couldn’t justify spending £750 more than the grey dealers offering it for so walked out of the shop empty handed very disappointing ☹️
Congrats on choosing an amazing watch. Tough call on black versus polar. You should buy from a trusted seller on here. The big guys on here are all top notch.
Old 10 February 2018, 02:54 AM   #88
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I own a Polar and I am going to buy the black dial as well because the watch is that good. The Air King is nice too, I hear too many watch snobs talk crap on it saying "oh it's so entry level could not afford a "real Rolex?" the Air King is on my list about three Rolex watches away.
Old 10 February 2018, 03:07 AM   #89
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Exp2 for me

brucethemanlee is online now   Reply With Quote