The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2023, 11:36 AM   #31
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This completely. Why self-inflict yourself with all this misery and hassle just to wear a DD. The watch and you would have both been much better off just leaving it at home.
I don’t disagree. Those were my thoughts in the moment too but then why buy a Rolex even? I can start thinking that It will add more stress cos someone will steal it or so many such thoughts, right?
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:43 AM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
It can happen in Thailand, too. The duty paid doesn't always find its way into government coffers. Allegedly.

That is what I thought too - an opportunistic customs person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 11:45 AM   #33
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I suspect this happened because it was in your bag. And if you had the receipt and/or the Rolex box with it, then that would definitely cause you problems.

I've politely refused to take my watch off at airports in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, and they have all been kind enough to let me keep it on. I give them the good ol' puppy face. Most of them don't even ask you to take it off.
I didn’t have any box. I only had a digital copy of the receipt and I showed it only when I was asked after I said it was my personal item.
Old 13 December 2023, 11:50 AM   #34
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank gama View Post
The indian regulations clearly state that items of personal jewellery (I assume that would include gold watches) are not liable for duty as long as one intends to take them along back out of the country when departing.
Having said that the Customs bast*rds in India are a law unto themselves, and are answerable to no one.
They will often harass the unfortunate passengers with the sole intention of getting getting a bribe.
Don't even think of leaving your Rolex in their custody. You will never see it again. I'd rather fly back straight out with the Rolex on my wrist.
They do not have dedicated individualised lockers to keep any such items at the airport.
The items are kept in an extremely unkempt/chaotic store room no: xyz and you get a receipt. On your day of return travel, you would need to arrive at least 6 hours before your flight, and beg your way past the various self-important ars*holes to get back to room no xyz, and then its entirely up to you to find your package in the huge unorganised random pile of packages. Good luck with ever seeing your Rolex again. And that's assuming the bast*rds have not pocketed it already. A really big assumption.
Apologies for my language, but Ive been there, more than once (fortunately not Rolex related) and they are nothing less than bast*rds.
Reading your post have brought back the memories and pushed up by blood pressure.
I can relate to how you feel. I was almost willing to leave it with but my concern was would they keep it safely, to which they said they will.

Do you know where these regulations have been documented? I’m looking for any information on an official page to which I can refer if questioned.

No one has still answered if there would be a problem during exit and is this the same ordeal anyone has to go through with other countries as well?
Old 13 December 2023, 12:05 PM   #35
konkaniman
"TRF" Member

Where is the watch now? Did you leave it with customs?
konkaniman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:11 PM   #36
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Shakedown > you were following the rules and kindly pushed back > they let you go not due to a ‘kind’ officer, but rather he had no easy option to squeeze you harder. Going through customs always drives me crazy. Good luck on departure.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:16 PM   #37
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post
I can relate to how you feel. I was almost willing to leave it with but my concern was would they keep it safely, to which they said they will.

Do you know where these regulations have been documented? I’m looking for any information on an official page to which I can refer if questioned.

No one has still answered if there would be a problem during exit and is this the same ordeal anyone has to go through with other countries as well?
You did nothing wrong and have proof of ownership. On departure keep it on your wrist and show the receipt if questioned. It was shakedown on entry and nobody will know if someone will try to bust your chops on departure. Kindly hold your grown and show the receipt, only if pressed, don’t start that convo. A sincere good luck and you will be fine.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:33 PM   #38
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Although it’s a bit of a pain if you aren’t close to a customs office (for US citizens), I go to a customs office with the articles of value that I plan to be taking out of the US, for example watches, jewelry, etc. with good descriptions, including serial numbers if available, and a customs agent will provide form CBP 4457 showing each of those items as being in your possession in the US. I have rarely had to use this form, but when questioned I have always had it available and never had a problem. It does not expire.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:44 PM   #39
doctoryellow
"TRF" Member

Off topic but once I had my brand new Pepsi on and they said I needed to put it through the scanner and of course I had nothing to protect it with so it got scratched sliding around the plastic tray. Super frustrating!
doctoryellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:49 PM   #40
baythan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Apart from this thread, it has been discussed before on the forum that by no means should you take off your watch at the airport. And this actually looks like a shakedown.
baythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 12:51 PM   #41
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baythan View Post
Apart from this thread, it has been discussed before on the forum that by no means should you take off your watch at the airport. And this actually looks like a shakedown.
New info for me. Won’t we be stopped at TSA or security elsewhere? No metal object on person etc? Nothing in pockets etc
Old 13 December 2023, 02:03 PM   #42
Tphamnd02
"TRF" Member

I’ve never taken my watch off before and my steel sub never goes off. If i had a PM watch I would definitely not take that off eithe even if it sounds the alarm.
Tphamnd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 02:13 PM   #43
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Customs Nightmare, Need some Help

They were shaking you down for a payoff. You have no rights or recourse at that point, as you are dealing with corrupt people. You’re lucky they let you be. Probably figured you were too much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2023, 02:57 PM   #44
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
India is notoriously corrupted. I would not take it off and keep all valuables on you at all time
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 03:45 PM   #45
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I take the watch off my wrist and hold it in one hand and any other significant valuables in my other.

Never had anyone take a closer look?
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2023, 04:12 PM   #46
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
This is corruption and nothing else...however...

It also highlights the point that you should be humble on travels and know your destination. Why the need to flex a watch that is worth more than a lifetimes salary? (Forbes says average annual Indian salary is US$387)
Old 13 December 2023, 04:26 PM   #47
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Customs in India are on another level. I’ve dealt with them professionally several times.
They just tried to squeeze you and failed because you did everything right.

Not bringing a DD but a SS Rolex instead makes no sense, any Rolex will be recognized instantly.
In the real world there is no way you can keep it on the wrist either if security screening policy states otherwise. People claiming that security protocols do not apply to them

The first hick up on your visit, there will be more to come. All part of the charm of India and nothing to get excited about. Enjoy your stay
Old 13 December 2023, 06:16 PM   #48
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Wow! I think you just fell on the wrong person at the wrong time. In some countries officials think they have more authority than the law. Personally, I never had any issues traveling internationally, whether with the watch I wear my wrist of the few I typically have in my carry-on. Admittedly I have not been to India so I can't speak to that.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 06:43 AM   #49
sm84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
This is corruption and nothing else...however...

It also highlights the point that you should be humble on travels and know your destination. Why the need to flex a watch that is worth more than a lifetimes salary? (Forbes says average annual Indian salary is US$387)
Bro, if you own a Rolex, be it stainless steel or precious metal, the statement of being humble is out of question. Even in a country like the US wearing the cheapest Rolex at approximately $6k isn’t really being modest/humble is it? 🙂
Old 14 December 2023, 07:07 AM   #50
pandajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Sub Pepsi SkyD
My wife and I - we always wear watches (SS) through the metal screening machine and it never triggers it
pandajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 07:10 AM   #51
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
Never take it off. That is what the wand is for.
Agreed! I wear a Cartier Love bracelet which is solid gold. It always always makes the metal detector go off, so I have to always get wanded since the bracelet can't be removed (without the screwdriver). I would never take my watch off, I'm used to getting wanded whenever I travel because of my bracelet. Same goes for a watch.
Old 14 December 2023, 07:41 AM   #52
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Art Suzy View Post
Agreed! I wear a Cartier Love bracelet which is solid gold. It always always makes the metal detector go off, so I have to always get wanded since the bracelet can't be removed (without the screwdriver). I would never take my watch off, I'm used to getting wanded whenever I travel because of my bracelet. Same goes for a watch.
I was just thinking of this exact situation. My wife wears a love bracelet and I wear a SS submariner. The Cartier often triggers the metal detector and it seems like (at least in the US) they are pretty familiar that they do not come off and, without much fuss, they bring her over, wand the bracelet and that's done with.

I agree with not taking my watch off when going through the scanners, but I was asked once. I politely declined and asked for them to inspect it instead. I do not see why the Cartier gets a pass and a watch could not, but I could see them demanding a Rolex be removed simply because they know it can (much easier than a love bracelet), which is obviously unfair.

Also interestingly, I was once asked by a US customs agent when re-entering the US from Aruba. She said "sir, what watch are you wearing?" I replied "my watch." She asked "what brand is it, can I see?" I held up the clasp for her to see and didn't say anything else. She disengaged the conversation and let us proceed. I guess she was trying to see if I had bought it in Aruba, which I had not. But, interesting nonetheless as they ARE watching...
Endoscopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 07:44 AM   #53
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto16610 View Post
Never take it off. That is what the wand is for.
Good advice.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 07:51 AM   #54
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Nightmare, I am sorry.

I went to India………once

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 08:39 AM   #55
frank gama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm84 View Post

I don't think you did anything wrong. They were just looking for easy pickings. Those guys in white uniforms are there solely to extort as much as they can from innocent passengers. I suppose it must have been a "quiet" day for them. They usually wait in anticipation for the gulf flights, where the Indian workers returning from the gulf states with lots of gold make a rich picking with title to no resistance.

Ive done a quick search on line to see if I could find any recent regulations.

https://hcisingapore.gov.in/pdf/guid...s_to_india.pdf
In this one 1 I B (a) implies "Used personal affects" are duty free for tourists.
And 5 defines who is considered a tourist.

http://www.ieport.com/baggage_rules/misc.htm
This one says (b)(iii): Tourists coming from abroad can bring reasonable amount of jewellery as personal affect provided they take those back with with them when they return.

You may find slightly different versions of the same regulations, but the principle remains. A visitor does not have to pay anything for personal items that he intends to back out of the country with him.

Having said that, you don't want to wave a printout of the regulations in their faces as that will only bring out the worst in them.

As far as your return trip is concerned, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. It is your watch, you have the papers to prove it, and it is none of their business what you choose to wear. In fact you might want to deliberately flash it, and they will start treating you like a VIP.

Enjoy the rest of the trip, but please, if you must wear the watch, keep your sleeves down at all times. A yellow gold Rolex will attract everyone within a 5 mile radius in India.
frank gama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 09:10 AM   #56
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
When I recently went to Korea and Japan I kept it on the wrist, when I went through screening in Japan, the guy just scanned me with the wand then grabbed my wrist had a good look at the watch smiled and waved me through!

Old 14 December 2023, 09:59 AM   #57
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
When I recently went to Korea and Japan I kept it on the wrist, when I went through screening in Japan, the guy just scanned me with the wand then grabbed my wrist had a good look at the watch smiled and waved me through!
The RoK & Japan are vastly different countries than India. I don't want this thread to deteriorate into a geopolitical bashing, though. While India & Japan are projected to finish this year with similar GDPs, the quality of life for the average citizen is like a different planet. While your trip to RoK & Japan isn't comparing apples to oranges, it really isn't apples to apples either.

I'm curious what will happen when the OP goes to leave India & return to the States. Hopefully his vacation isn't too marred.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 10:09 AM   #58
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
I was just thinking of this exact situation. My wife wears a love bracelet and I wear a SS submariner. The Cartier often triggers the metal detector and it seems like (at least in the US) they are pretty familiar that they do not come off and, without much fuss, they bring her over, wand the bracelet and that's done with.

I agree with not taking my watch off when going through the scanners, but I was asked once. I politely declined and asked for them to inspect it instead. I do not see why the Cartier gets a pass and a watch could not, but I could see them demanding a Rolex be removed simply because they know it can (much easier than a love bracelet), which is obviously unfair.

Also interestingly, I was once asked by a US customs agent when re-entering the US from Aruba. She said "sir, what watch are you wearing?" I replied "my watch." She asked "what brand is it, can I see?" I held up the clasp for her to see and didn't say anything else. She disengaged the conversation and let us proceed. I guess she was trying to see if I had bought it in Aruba, which I had not. But, interesting nonetheless as they ARE watching...
It's funny because when I flew out of Heathrow, when I told the security agent that my bracelet will most likely set off the metal detectors, she looked at my wrist and said "oh, is that one of those Love bracelets?" I thought that was funny. Clearly in London, they're used to them. I'm sure they're used to Rolexes as well.
Old 14 December 2023, 10:37 AM   #59
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST 41
Never Before

I travel for a living, 34 countries in 13 yrs. Over those yrs, I have filled up 7 passports taking over 200 trips to everywhere in Europe, The Middle East, North Africa, Oceania and Asia. Everywhere EXCEPT INDIA��

That being said, I normally have my Breitling Chrono 44 in its travel case in my backpack, and wear my Citizen Blue Angel Titanium as it has 24 time zones and being Titanium is just does not scratch. It also should never set off alarms, but I have been asked to remove it, mostly in China, Vietnam, etc.Oh yeah, the first four years I traveled, I had one of those ‘special Black’ US Passports.

Same rules applied, and actually had more scrutiny in the good old USA than abroad. But leave no doubt, most customs and airport officials have an inflated egos and are bullies! Ive seen it happen, but never as bad as you say in India.

Good luck, lots of good advice, except about not taking off watch for screening. If told to take your pants and shorts off, DO IT! Foreign jails are cold and unfriendly.
azhiker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2023, 10:41 AM   #60
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker54 View Post
I had one of those ‘special Black’ US Passports.
Fun! I'm sure you've got a story or two.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs , gold , rolex