The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2020, 08:35 AM   #61
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Personally never like two tone.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 10:25 AM   #62
aurenas
"TRF" Member

Personally i don't mind TT models. For example TT Zenith daytona is a bargain compared with SS.

Instagram watchauren
aurenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 10:28 AM   #63
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

I could see having a TT Slate or a TT Champaign dial
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #64
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Love all 3! Will eventually add the 116518 too.

The TT Daytona is a beautiful watch! My wife gave it to me on our wedding day so it is very special to me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 956906C9-1AD2-49EB-B84F-8BE58F9BA4A5.jpeg (113.5 KB, 567 views)
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:53 AM   #65
sp5702
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
- Thanks schoolboy, now that I’m in my 50s, and having been passionate about our hobby since my late teens, it appears evident to me that, bar a few rare pieces, its the previous generations outliers that seem to be the most sought after Contemporary pieces. I say this in a purely collectible sense, not merely the value, however, value and collectibility do tend to run parallel. It isn't an accident that in the 70s/80s era of datejust and day date, that references such as the daytona, sub or any sports variant weren’t anywhere near as high sales volumes as the aforementioned, which today we refer to as dress watches, but back then were the watch to have. Fast forward a generation or two and the slow selling sports pieces of that era, due to their relative scarcity and, the fact that younger generations now prefer, we could say, more manly tool watches, thus making the few tool watches sold a generation or so ago both hip and costly in today’s market. Back then though, if you was wearing a 4 digit daytona you were an outlier, or someone who needed that watches functions for your personal pastime or job. It wasn’t a macho statement or necessarily a mens watch, just like a datejust wasn't a dress watch. The perception of watches has changed dramatically as a result. The same applies to male watch sizes, over 50 years we’ve gone from 34mm being a normal watch, to a 40mm being considered on the small side, likewise, svelte/delicate Functional cases turning into big chunks of steel that oddly hold the same size movements of the past (eg rolex maxi case). Under all this analysis its pretty easy to define what the next generations Rolex hot picks will be. Show me a slow seller a few generations back and I firmly believe that 30 years from now that this piece will be considered highly desirable. In the past 10 years of the Rolex sports lineup we have the often derided/unfashionable, and thus, low production volume: YMII, Air-King or Milgauss to name but a few. How about a future 180 degree switch back to what today are called rolex dress watches such as the datejust or day date? Just like back in the 70s nobody wanted the daytona 4 digit, if we did a poll on TRF today between any sports variant or a datejust, we’d garner a similar outcome as the 4 digit daytona got in a different era but inverted.

Due to Covid19 and lockdown I’m rambling on, sorry

Ramble away....nice to read discussions about watches on TRF again (as opposed to ADs, greys, and prices).
sp5702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:15 PM   #66
MiamiGT4
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
My first aspirational Rolex was the TT Blue Submariner 16613/116613LB.

I have a TT Daytona and I love it.

I got it new with a discount, it has Gold which is a metal that is a store of wealth for thousands of years; a commodity which has been climbing in value, it has the same movement as the SS version and best of all it is against the herd mentality.
Well said!!
MiamiGT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 12:55 PM   #67
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
I first saw the low number of SS Daytona's during late 90's. They were not easy to get. Something about Zenith not being able to accommodate Rolex with enough movements they needed, IIRC. Anyways, I prefer at the time the TT Daytona and acquired a Black dial one. In the early 2000's I saw the SS one's always over retail in EBAY. Around 10k.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 08:58 PM   #68
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I think TT works better with ceramic models such as the Bluesy and Chnr
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #69
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today.
Nicely said!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2020, 11:49 PM   #70
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

That is one of the few Daytonas that appeal to me quite a bit. My favorite is the vintage 6263 reference with black bezel, but for modern, I like this TT, and if I were inclined to buy a Daytona, this would be first on my radar. The fact that it seems to be a value is a bonus. But now that there is a thread on it, watch the price rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Caught in No Man's Land. Always was, is and shall forever be. Think the Daytona TT would look great on a brown leather strap.

Fully agree with this.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 12:19 AM   #71
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Why are these Daytona's not popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
I could see having a TT Slate or a TT Champaign dial

I was going to add how much I like the slate dial TT. I'm happy they're less than popular because they make the TTs a great deal. Please don't even look at them; the only ones worth owning are the stainless models.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 09:56 AM   #72
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGET-MAN View Post
Curious why TRF members think the Daytona 2-tone watches are not popular? Obviously from pricing something is up.

Posted image example I grabbed off internet.

Thank you

M

I often wonder the same thing. I purchased two T/T Daytona’s one in 2017 & one in 2018. I think they are as good as any other T/T Rolex. Here is the Watch I purchased in 2018 a 116503 (New Model) with White MOP 8 Diamonds Dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 10:34 AM   #73
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGET-MAN View Post
Curious why TRF members think the Daytona 2-tone watches are not popular? Obviously from pricing something is up.

Posted image example I grabbed off internet.

Thank you

M

Because they look like you bought them out of an airport kiosk in Vegas?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 10:41 AM   #74
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
I bought my 116523 panda for the dial. Daytona’s are hard to read but the Arabic numeral panda dial is the best looking in my opinion.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2020, 12:24 PM   #75
Pongster
"TRF" Member

OP youre right. Just in TRF. Because in the real world i see several TT daytonas and other TT pieces. Though i personally, I prefer SS or full PM. I only have one TT Rolex.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 03:20 AM   #76
andyb1402
"TRF" Member

I have the 116503 with black dial and I love it. The gold bezel and PCL's give it a little bit of bling and makes it look undoubtedly a Rolex, and then the satin outer links on the Oyster bracelet tone it down a little so it's not in your face. Anyway that's my 'two penny worth'.

I've had mine for 6 months now, still love it as much as the day it arrived, and wouldn't swap it for the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5653.jpg (182.3 KB, 478 views)
andyb1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 09:55 AM   #77
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Can’t decide if I would wear it if I bought it, l like it but I might not wear it

DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 01:23 PM   #78
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
They're cool. A bluesy Sub or TT GMT can't be popular but not a TT Daytona. SS is just disproportionately hot right now.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 07:24 PM   #79
Ihatecheese
Banned

They historically have appealed to a certain demographic. Many don't want to align with that if there are other options.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 07:55 PM   #80
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczaja10 View Post
This is about the most accurate post on the TT issue.

Ironically, of all my Rolex watches (BLNR, hulk and TT GMT black and YG), the hands down stunner that everyone loves is the TT GMT. This includes all generations from my mom and her friends to my associate in his mid forties to my young secretary who follows all the latest trends.

To me, the TT GMT is gorgeous and just the right amount of bling. Love it.
Yes TT GMT Root Beer is unique in the Rolex TT lineup. Even on Insta, which is mostly non WIS, when a BLNR, or BLRO is compared to a TT CHNR, the TT CHNR most always gets more likes and favorable comments than the other two, or a tie with the hyped BLRO
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 08:04 PM   #81
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi OP, tendencies and fashion changes. When I bought my TT Daytona new in the mid 90s the TT variant and the YG variant were all the rage. The extravagant naughties are well documented and flashy gold was in its hay day. Since then, things have changed, stealth wealth and less extravagance has ruled since the 2000s until the present day. Also, watch brands adapted to this new reality by restricting the production of the “cheaper” SS variants which, when combined with consumer trends, made ss more desirable but, there were less of them. Back in the 90s and even more so in the 80s (4 digit daytona), Rolex couldn’t shift SS variants (Causing lower production) which, conversely, has made their lack of availability in the used market generate a higher price. On the flip side, tons of TTs were sold when they were popular, so the secondary market has a glut of these 90s pieces = common/less desirable. The secondary market affects the new market, meaning that TTs are easy to obtain which when then compounded with the change in consumer buying habits (wanting less flashy items in general), makes the TT undesirable on forums where hardened aficionados like us glean most of our opinions and consensus.

Previous posters allude to a scenario where SS were always (4 and 5 digit) really tough to obtain and thus always sought after. This synopsis is a fictional supposition where those not old enough to remember provide views of the past based upon what they see today. I was a real buyer in the 90s and I really bought a zenith Daytona. I really went to multiple ADs in Spain, US, France and UK and I really saw SS sitting there and I could have bought 10 or more of them on a heartbeat with zero issues. I bought the TT because that was what people wanted and, I would have probably bought the all YG had I not been in my 20s at the time and I didn’t have the money. I would not (back then) have bought the SS. Hindsight is a beautiful thing eh? But, how could anyone have known that 20 or 30 years later YG would be deemed too flashy?

Anyhow, here are my two Daytona’s. A TT zenith bought new when they were hip and, the latest sought after piece due to today’s consumer preferences

Thank you for this informative post.
Old 13 April 2020, 08:40 PM   #82
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon-turbo View Post
I think TT works better with ceramic models such as the Bluesy and Chnr
Agree, I think it has to do with the ceramic dial, and oyster bracelet too.
Old 13 April 2020, 09:36 PM   #83
timeldn
"TRF" Member

The TT is a very nice watch and elegant. I sold my TT and I prefer the SS, which is more versatile.
timeldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 09:51 PM   #84
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
- Thanks schoolboy, now that I’m in my 50s, and having been passionate about our hobby since my late teens, it appears evident to me that, bar a few rare pieces, its the previous generations outliers that seem to be the most sought after Contemporary pieces. I say this in a purely collectible sense, not merely the value, however, value and collectibility do tend to run parallel. It isn't an accident that in the 70s/80s era of datejust and day date, that references such as the daytona, sub or any sports variant weren’t anywhere near as high sales volumes as the aforementioned, which today we refer to as dress watches, but back then were the watch to have. Fast forward a generation or two and the slow selling sports pieces of that era, due to their relative scarcity and, the fact that younger generations now prefer, we could say, more manly tool watches, thus making the few tool watches sold a generation or so ago both hip and costly in today’s market. Back then though, if you was wearing a 4 digit daytona you were an outlier, or someone who needed that watches functions for your personal pastime or job. It wasn’t a macho statement or necessarily a mens watch, just like a datejust wasn't a dress watch. The perception of watches has changed dramatically as a result. The same applies to male watch sizes, over 50 years we’ve gone from 34mm being a normal watch, to a 40mm being considered on the small side, likewise, svelte/delicate Functional cases turning into big chunks of steel that oddly hold the same size movements of the past (eg rolex maxi case). Under all this analysis its pretty easy to define what the next generations Rolex hot picks will be. Show me a slow seller a few generations back and I firmly believe that 30 years from now that this piece will be considered highly desirable. In the past 10 years of the Rolex sports lineup we have the often derided/unfashionable, and thus, low production volume: YMII, Air-King or Milgauss to name but a few. How about a future 180 degree switch back to what today are called rolex dress watches such as the datejust or day date? Just like back in the 70s nobody wanted the daytona 4 digit, if we did a poll on TRF today between any sports variant or a datejust, we’d garner a similar outcome as the 4 digit daytona got in a different era but inverted.

Due to Covid19 and lockdown I’m rambling on, sorry
Man, you're 2 for 2 on this thread.

Appreciate the insight.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #85
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Two tone for me

I absolutely love mine in the sun it looks fantastic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D3C7DE9C-0B95-4E93-93CE-0C0141516CF1.jpeg (85.1 KB, 421 views)
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #86
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Some TT models I admire greatly such as the Blue TT Submariner and the TT Yachtmaster 2, others I simply don't like and would never purchase. Am afraid the TT Daytona is not on my most admired list, not sure why but I simply don't like it. The best Daytonas in the current line up that I like most are the white faced ST ST Ceramic and top of the list is the WG Oysterflex.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 02:16 AM   #87
teatea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 126600
TT Daytona's are stunners, and my favorite in the Daytona line up! I own 4 of them! TWO 16523'S, Zenith-daytona/slate grey dial, Zenith-daytona/champagne dial-inverted 6, 116523 Daytona/white dial, 116523 Daytona/Matt gold with black sundial(P.Newman dial). Have many SS, GMT's, sub's & SD, but somehow, I just love the Daytona in it's 2 tone version... Look's luxury enough, without been too loud. YG is way too loud for me, WG & PT are nice, and I might go for a WG one of these days... Not even sure!
teatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:37 AM   #88
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
It really depends on which 2-tone Daytona. The pre-2k models are cheapest as well as most of the white & champagne dialed versions including panda dials. As soon as you get to 2010, black or blue dialed versions they start to get more expensive.

Last year I tried on a used panda that I absolutely lusted after seeing it in pictures. It was so underwhelming after I put it on. It appeared small on my wrist and it wasn't the most masculine looking watch. Of course I passed. No regrets.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 04:49 AM   #89
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
What does everyone think about the 116503 Black MOP diamond dial Two-Toned model?

I stole these pictures from Google Image...

Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2020, 05:54 AM   #90
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handey0465 View Post
What does everyone think about the 116503 Black MOP diamond dial Two-Toned model?

I stole these pictures from Google Image...

Gaudy but with a cool Star Wars vibe.

Tags
opinions , survey